New Orleans providers' own black history

As a girl from a black Creole background, I've always held an interest in the history of Louisiana. For anyone interested in history, take a peep at the gens de coleur libre (free blacks) of New Orleans. These people existed in a limbo--not black enough for slavery, but not white either. Many, however, made history and were as wealthy as their white counterparts. These creole women were the favorite playmates of wealthy white men :-)

Here's an interesting blog I read...

http://www.geishadiaries.com/home/ca...-history-month
Very interesting article and website. Thanks for posting it.
Here is another interesting link I found about the 'blue books'. They had similar ones in Texas and California, from past research I have done.
http://www.storyvilledistrictnola.com/bluebook.html
thats so cool! Thanks callie!
Awesome, thanks for the links, both of you. I'm a big nerd when it comes to NOLA history/cultural stuff...my neighbor is convinced that the house we live in was a placage house (is that what you would call it? the house that a white man would provide for his black or creole placee), but I doubt it's that old. It's in the right neighborhood, though.
Definately a good read thanks. Maybe we could make this a holiday and you ladies drop your prices to 10 hr to say the least yall have it made . I wonder if they had cbj back then.
NOTHING was covered back then! Thats why so many children were born in those brothels!
I don't know, seems like it would've been kinda fun. No tv back then, so guys had to find some kind of entertainment.
I don't know, seems like it would've been kinda fun. No tv back then, so guys had to find some kind of entertainment. Originally Posted by Lovely Callie
+1
Would you consider yourself creole? I thought it was Black, spanish and french. Is it just Euro AA mixed?
I do know that you are so friggin HOT{I have yet to fulfill my "chocolate" lady fantasy! lol}
Would you consider yourself creole? I thought it was Black, spanish and french. Is it just Euro AA mixed? Originally Posted by heidilynnla
The definition of creole kind of varies...but the most agreed upon definition of a creole is anyone of a mixed French and/or Spanish Catholic descent. My father's family is creole--a mix of AA and French, and many of them speak French. My mother is directly from Germany, and there's not much of that in any of the creole lines. I guess specifically, as one of mixed black and white parentage, I'm technically mulatto.

All these labels are confusing...all I know is mutts make the prettiest puppies!!! Lmao!!! Gotta love America's melting pot.

I do know that you are so friggin HOT{I have yet to fulfill my "chocolate" lady fantasy! lol} Originally Posted by DallasRain
I insist you must fulfill that one!! We certainly are a sweet treat
This is very interesting....you know how I loves me some history!!!
All these labels are confusing...all I know is mutts make the prettiest puppies!!! Lmao!!! Gotta love America's melting pot. Originally Posted by Lovely Callie
and what a pretty puppy you are !