Teacher was fired from Catholic School for IF (Invitro Fertilization)treatments

I watched the interview with her and her husband. She was diagnosed with infertility and both her and her husband had been trying to have a baby for a couple years. So she started IF treatment to get pregnant. They fired her and two of these cocksuckers (archdiosese and some other man of the cloth), told her she was a sinner to her face and told her that they would not renew her contract to continue teaching because she was a sinner for using the IF to get pregnant.

Yea, this is nutball religion at its finest..

I hope she and her husband win their lawsuit and case in court. Fuck these religious ignorant fanatics. It just makes my blood boil when I see shit like this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1453524.html
Good; she should abide by the terms of her employment contract. And she wanted more time off for a second round of invetro; because the 1st wasn't successful...

The Church (and any religious) organization has the right to keep the faith of it's religion and practices.
Good; she should abide by the terms of her employment contract. And she wanted more time off for a second round of invetro; because the 1st wasn't successful...

The Church (and any religious) organization has the right to keep the faith of it's religion and practices. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
That is not why the didn't renew and they told her in verbal and written form it was because she was doing IF which is against their beliefs.
There is a big danger to turning off a lot of people (the masses) who otherwise would be supportive of these churches and schools run by churches. If they keep up this extremism people will stop supporting their local catholic churches.
Actually the termination is because the invetro violates the terms of employment contract, which calls for employees to abide by the teachings and practices of the church.

And I hope the Church doesn't alter doctrine and practices in a vain attempt to fill it's pews and coffers. That is what the Episcopalians and Protestants do.

If the Church gets smaller because of it's fidelty to doctrine, so be it !
While I think it is a strange practice it is the choice of that particular religion to practice the way they believe and if she had a contract that says she must follow the tenets of the religion she is being paid by then she freely made the choice to give up certain rights.
This is not a government school.

We can change our government by voting them out.
If you do not like the way a church treats their members you dont have t be a participant. It is called free will.
Fuck these religious ignorant fanatics. It just makes my blood boil when I see shit like this.
I would agree, except she's teaching in a CATHOLIC SCHOOL. It's run by a dioceses and it's primary purposes are to instill Catholic values and a good education. I went to a Catholic school, and guess what? The teachers are expected to follow the teachings of the church to the best of their ability. And if they don't? No job.

IVF? Very, VERY against Catholic teachings. They could have adopted and she'd still have her job. But they wanted to do IVF. And while that may be her right as a woman and a citizen, it goes against everything her religion and job stand for. She made her choice, in my opinion, and I hope it works out for her.

I think she'd do great teaching in a public school where infertility isn't even an issue, but a Catholic school + fertility treatments? How could you NOT know this was going to happen? Her little "I didn't know it was against my contract" defense? I really hope it doesn't hold up. "I didn't read it" isn't a fucking excuse to violate it.

The diocese said that teachers, even those such as Herx who aren't Catholic, are required by their contracts to abide by Catholic tenets and "serve as moral exemplars."
Pope Benedict XVI as recently as February urged infertile couples not to use in-vitro fertilization or other forms of artificial procreation, which the church views as an affront to human dignity and the dignity of marriage.
The church believes that procreation should be limited to marital sex, said Dr. John Haas, director of the National Catholic Bioethics Center in Philadelphia. Also, clinics routinely fertilize more eggs than are implanted, and extra embryos may be destroyed. The church believes those lives are sacred, Haas said.
"To have a child by in vitro almost invariably results in the death of a number of embryos as one works to bring one to term," Haas said Wednesday.

Do I feel sorry for her? Sure. It's tough to be out a job after you've spent 15k on in vitro. But discretion and common sense could have easily prevailed here. Would she have come in an announced she was using her sick days for an abortion? No, she would have kept that to herself. And that's exactly what she should have done with the IVF.
  • CJ7
  • 04-26-2012, 11:38 AM
geeze ... cathoilc run health clinics give their "patients" rides to Planned Parenthood

have we some sort of double standard here?

sure we do.
Actually the termination is because the invetro violates the terms of employment contract, which calls for employees to abide by the teachings and practices of the church.

And I hope the Church doesn't alter doctrine and practices in a vain attempt to fill it's pews and coffers. That is what the Episcopalians and Protestants do.

If the Church gets smaller because of it's fidelty to doctrine, so be it ! Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Well I hope that does happen, then the catholic church will become a small fringe religious group and lose their hold on the masses. I think this is a sign to come..and people will stop utilizing their schools and hospitals and their donations will start to dry up.
There is a big danger to turning off a lot of people (the masses) who otherwise would be supportive of these churches and schools run by churches. If they keep up this extremism people will stop supporting their local catholic churches. Originally Posted by Sexyeccentric1
That's the way it is supposed to work.

But it doesn't look like the Catholic church is going broke anytime soon.
geeze ... cathoilc run health clinics give their "patients" rides to Planned Parenthood

sure we do. Originally Posted by CJ7
CBJ7, you are the only leftie that continuously insinuates that PPH only provides abortions -- what about all of those other supposedly grand services and treatments that justify U.S. taxpayer dollar support? Hypocrite!

sure we do. Originally Posted by CJ7
Let m once again state that 97% of PPs services aren't abortion. I worked in a PP for awhile, we didn't even do abortions. We had to refer girls that wanted them to private clinics. We gave out the pill, did pregnancy tests by the dozen, and tested for/treated STDs for donations only.

A catholic run health clinic generally will not give birth control pills - even for a medical reason. Where else would you suggest they take someone with ovarian cysts to be seen? Abnormally heavy periods with cramping? Acne? Should they deny them care because they're contractually obligated not to give out the Pill? No. They take them to another facility where they can get it without violating their contract. So tell me how is it hypocritical? Is it in their contract that they won't drive a patient to get medical treatment at another facility?

This woman could have adopted a child and stayed within her contract. She would have spent the same amount of money, if not a bit less, and the end result would still be a child of her own. Instead, she did something that sits right next to abortion in the eyes of the Church. In fact, it may even be WORSE seeing as embryos die all of the time due to IVF *and* the IVF itself is also seen as wrong.

I'm not one to jump to the defense of the Church, as I find them to be a disgusting organisation overall (that's for a different thread entirely) but she signed a contract, and then she violated it. She SHOULD be fired. Immediately.
I'm not sure that the eccentric understands why the Catholic church is against IVF. Several fertilized eggs are produced and only a couple of implanted. The rest are destroyed (aborted). So IVF, according to the Catholic church, also constitutes abortion.
I'm not really familiar with IVF procedures.

are these really embryos that are being disposed of rather than sperm?
There is a big danger to turning off a lot of people (the masses) who otherwise would be supportive of these churches and schools run by churches. If they keep up this extremism people will stop supporting their local catholic churches. Originally Posted by Sexyeccentric1
What one finds as extremism is policy of the Roman Catholic Church which is essentially a male dominated institution for 1700 years.

So, whatever the Vatican says (that's the Pope); every good RC is expected to follow.

oh btw, Catholicism is essentially dying in Europe, and slowly dying in U.S.A. they have had to close down a number of church as the pews weren't being filled. The Vatican is getting their support from South America and Africa and some in Asia as well.

the extremism isn't what's killing the Church in Europe and America, its those scandals relating to their priest's sexual relations with young boys.

there was a marked drop off after the scandals hit.

No one really believes what the Vatican says any more.