Consumer Reports: Tesla is best car tested since 2007

Where are all those nay-sayers posting about how the company was about to fail. Chew on this.

From USA Today:

A day after Tesla Motors reported its first quarterly profit ever, the electric car maker is receiving another huge boost: Consumer Reports magazine says the Tesla Model S is the best car it has tested since 2007, achieving its highest score.

The magazine says the electric sedan achieved a score of 99 out of 100, outperforming every other model this year in every category --from performance to interior quality. It is the first time a plug-in electric has achieved such a high score.

The findings will be presented in the magazine's July issue.

While Tesla has already received some top endorsements, including Motor Trend Car of the Year, the Consumer Reports raves are particularly important. With a famous streak for independence, which includes buying its cars at dealerships rather than borrowing them from automakers, Consumer Reports' reviews are among the most closely watched.

"The Tesla Model S is packed with technological innovation," said Jake Fisher, director of Automotive Testing for Consumer Reports, in a statement. "It accelerates, handles and brakes like a sports car, it has the ride and quietness of a luxury car and is far more energy efficient than the best hybrid cars."

Tesla was the first car to get a 99 score since the Lexus LS 460L tested in 2007.

There was another story about it's earnings:

Tesla, maker of high-dollar electric cars, reported its first quarterly profit Wednesday -- $11 million.

The car company noted in its letter to shareholders that it was the first black ink in the company's 10-year history.

Revenue was reported as $562 million, up 83% from the period a year ago. Under GAAP reporting rules, excluding a one-time gain, earnings per share were 0 cents, the company said..

The automaker said it sold 4,900 of its Model S electric sedans in the first quarter, up from the 4,500 it had forecast.
For a car that costs $90,000 I would hope it was well built.
You ENTIRELY miss the point BigLouie.

It isn't that electric cars don't work. It's that no one has yet produced an economically priced electric car that has good range, quick recharge time and decent acceleration and speed.

It took Tesla TEN YEARS to get into the black ink. And it is a pricey toy for rich men.
And you miss the point entirely. NO ONE in any industry starts out with a low cost model. The start up cost are so high it has to be priced high. But now someone had produced a good one. And in a number of years the price of them will be a lot lower. The company is turning a profit.
I think the importance of this "profit" will bear out over the next 2-3 years. One quarter results are often accounting tricks - report back in 3,6,9, 12 etc months and see what they say.
And you miss the point entirely. NO ONE in any industry starts out with a low cost model. The start up cost are so high it has to be priced high.
Then how did Saturn start out with a low-cost model? Hyundai? What about Jet Blue and Spirit in the airline industry?

But now someone had produced a good one. Electric cars have been around for over a century. "NOW" someone has produced a good one?

And in a number of years the price of them will be a lot lower. The company is turning a profit. Originally Posted by BigLouie
SOME companies might run in the red for the first 2-4 years. But for TEN YEARS?

And contrary to popular belief, the electric card industry is OLD. I'm not going to look it up, but I think electric cars may even pre-date the internal combustion engine.
SHOCKING!
  • CJ7
  • 05-09-2013, 03:20 PM
SOME companies might run in the red for the first 2-4 years. But for TEN YEARS?

And contrary to popular belief, the electric card industry is OLD. I'm not going to look it up, but I think electric cars may even pre-date the internal combustion engine. Originally Posted by ExNYer
why do you think Ben harnessed electricity?

he had a set of Tesla Roadster blueprints waiting in his file cabinet
SOME companies might run in the red for the first 2-4 years. But for TEN YEARS? Originally Posted by ExNYer
You don't know much about business do you. Do you know how long it too Amazon to become profitable? Over 6 years and they didn't have the manufacturing start up cost that Tesla did.
For a car that costs $90,000 I would hope it was well built. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
When Apple put out their first big computer it cost $4,000, you can get an iPad mini for $325 that does the same thing. Over time the cost will come down as it does in all start up industries.
Which model do you consider Apple's first big computer? I guarantee you the iPad mini has more CPU power and storage than the Lisa or the first Mac.

The 99 score is just a media ploy. The journalist who did the piece basically admitted it. The car has a range of 200 miles and an electric loss rate of 12% for each day the vehicle is not used and not plugged in.
  • CJ7
  • 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Which model do you consider Apple's first big computer? I guarantee you the iPad mini has more CPU power and storage than the Lisa or the first Mac.

The 99 score is just a media ploy. The journalist who did the piece basically admitted it. The car has a range of 200 miles and an electric loss rate of 12% for each day the vehicle is not used and not plugged in. Originally Posted by gnadfly
I'll go out on a limb and say THE FIRST ONE

not only in size but innovation too.
READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE & BLOG. shomas has it right.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...ow-profitable/
  • CJ7
  • 05-09-2013, 05:52 PM
well, from the time Ford invented his first engine to the time he opened the first assembly line is considerably longer than 10 years, and truth be known he was dealing with the horse and buggy crowd then, just like Tesla is dealing with the gasoline engine crowd today.

time will tell
Yes I am talking the Lisa. It's original price was $9,995.00. Today you can get an iPad mini for $325. Prices fall and it will for the car