Feminism in burlesque, Add some Submission

People often ask me if there is an element of feminism in burlesque Yes, if you define feminism the way I do: being as feminine as possible. Now, I know a lot of people won’t like that answer, and they won’t find anything liberated in my representing myself as bound, weak, vulnerable stereotypically female.

John Willie called it “the realization of helplessness."There is strength in submission. Why, I have to wonder, is it more acceptable to play a dominatrix than a damsel in distress? “Feminine submission is the stereotype to be liberated.” So, perhaps, I am interested in liberation.Leopold von Sacher-Masoch put it this way: “Man is the one who desires, woman the one who is desired.

This is woman’s entire but decisive advantage.” Perhaps things have changed Sacher-Masoch wrote in the late 1800s, after all.But once in a while, it’s a devious lot of fun to pretend that they haven’t.

I have been obsessed with seamed stockings my whole life, and I Love vintage ones that were made in the '40s and '50s with the authentic styling of the keyhole, the welt, the reinforced toe and heels, French or Cuban heels, and hand-stitched seams. faux-seamed stockings with lycra you lose the sensual feeling of the fabric. but thats the only thing around these days...

I love the 40's and 50's I love that women of that time would get all dolled up to go downtown.
After World War II, lingerie designers celebrated their liberation from wartime restrictions with a lavish use of color, sheer fabrics, and lace (In the 1950s, printed and colored underwear were successfully marketed. New fabrics like Dacron and nylon debuted. There was increased use of rayon.)

Women missed and wanted glamour again that had been deprived in the war; enter the conical bra, the height of 1950s underwear fashion.

Mesh stockings (or hose), which previously would
have been worn only on stage or for seduction
purposes, began its way into the mainstream.
I consider feminism to be more about the power to choose your own path and destiny and not be constricted by tradition or the expectations of what society has. There have been different ages of feminism, in my opinion, throughout recorded history. It's just that most peope think of it in the most recent terms.

Today you have the choice to be submissive, or you could choose to be dominant, or somewhere in between. Sure, we still have, and will most likely will, have sexual and societal stereotypes for both genders to follow. But there is much more choice today than there has been.

On von Sacher-Masoch's writings, you have to account for the time period, as well as his particular viewpoint. As a male, and interested in women, of course he is going to write something like that. Not that it makes it any less or more true, but still his viewpoint is kind of skewed. What would society be like if the men from his era had retained the fashion of dressing up and wearing lacy shirts, hose, buckled shoes,etc? Men (wealthy ones, as was the standard for all fashion of those times) sometimes outdid the ladies in their finery and makeup and wigs. What if things had changed and men had retained their style and women had risen up to take on more powerful roles in shaping and controlling society (taking their lead from Elizabeth - a woman who shaped Britain's future history). Granted I'm jumping around a bit with time scales here.

Burlesque dancers evoke something from the past. Most of them do dress in hyper-feminine attire, but part of that is because they are on stage and they are wanting to attract attention. For the most part, a woman could wear a garter belt and stockings today under her dress or skirt and most people would never even know (though who doesn't like the tug of their garter when they walk? What type of garters do you prefer? A more traditional garter belt (ha! not too traditional these days), or do you take it a step further and get into the open-bottomed girdles too?

But today's burlesque is wildy different than what it used to be. You see some girls who can do the fan dance, but most burlesque troupes do dance routines that aren't quite what one expected from the 50's. If you haven't checked them out, go see the Lolli Bombs who have regular shows at the Pocket Sandwich Theatre off Mockingbird. Though if you really like it... try to catch one of the shows that happens every so often with really big names, the ones that play at the Lakewood and such. Wow... Some of those ladies are extremely talented and such a joy to watch!
I know Krunkman!! I was ion a mood I was watching a movie on womans liberation....
I got carried away...
I have a really close friend who dances on that troop...I danced on another one...
anyways did you see them when they danced at the granada....and dana delux was there...They take dancing to a whole new level...in fact they are fabulous i hate going to slip bars but when I go see a troop I have so much fun...
and I do burlesque in vegas and in New york, I would tell you with who but thats my normal life if you can believe that....
I also cange my hair color and really get dolled up..
I love dancing and you dont have to be naked to get someone turned on..
I watch my friend dance all the time so I might have met you and you didnt even know!!!! I really like being submissive I was just on a terr I wanted to feel liberated and free....
too much wine and crazy girls talking about being more dominate...
so please my ranting I was just being crazy!!!
theres love in my heart for ya!!
L