Howl at the Moon - Not!

Very disappointed with a recent visit to Howl at the Moon on the RiverWalk. Shoddy drink mixing, bad sound mix, amateur entertainment. It is supposed to be a dueling piano bar. I've been in a number of those kind of places and they were always fun. Great sin-a-long action going on from top notch musicians. Good drinks to make the singing louder. But at Howl at the Moon they concentrate on 86 oz buckets of slop that kids use for speed drinking contests. The musicians sang all the songs too fast trying to get them over with so the sing-along just never was happening, especially with the drunk folks. The sound mix added to the problems because you couldn't hear the vocals over the instruments; pianos, drums, bass, guitars, plastic trombone, etc. And absolutely no interaction with the audience, though since we couldn't really hear them, even when they weren't playing we wouldn't have known they were trying to interact and joke with us.

Fair warning, if you want to have a good time, find somewhere else. Now if you want to get drunk fast on bad liquor...
That place use to be nice to hangout at. Lately it has taken a dive!
It had been recommended to me as being fun a few months ago. But if you have been in a good dueling piano bar, or even just a good bar before, it is obvious this one just doesn't cut it right now.

Are there other sing-along places down there? Sometimes Irish pubs can be a blast if the entertainment has some snap.
Blckpr said it!

First few times I went- had a blast- great everything. Recently went back and it isnt anything like it was. Too bad.
It had been recommended to me as being fun a few months ago. But if you have been in a good dueling piano bar, or even just a good bar before, it is obvious this one just doesn't cut it right now.

Are there other sing-along places down there? Sometimes Irish pubs can be a blast if the entertainment has some snap. Originally Posted by Rover14

Havent been in awhile so not sure if it still exists in SA but Dirty Nellies was a favorite on the river. Irish pub, peanut shells all over the floor and funny old guy on piano making jokes and sing a longs.
And with Jim Cullum vacating his long standing spot on the Riverwalk, places to go become fewer and fewer.
  • Mokoa
  • 09-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Havent been in awhile so not sure if it still exists in SA but Dirty Nellies was a favorite on the river. Irish pub, peanut shells all over the floor and funny old guy on piano making jokes and sing a longs. Originally Posted by KlassyKelliAnn
I always enjoyed Dirty Nellie's. Always.

Yes, not quite the same without Jim Cullum.
Agree, Dirty Nellies is a blast, never had a bad time there.....standing room only usually.