Older Citizens Doing Well With Obamacare

Here are several examples of older citizens doing well with Obamacare. These people have a private Obmacare plan with a premium as low as $58.

http://news.yahoo.com/older-american...154218092.html
Obamacare, I prefer PPACA, also closes the donut hole for seniors left by Bush's Medicare Part D so once seniors and AARP realize this they will never support any more talk of repeal. The only option left is to leave it as it or work together to improve it.

I doubt Republicans will do that, especially if they make gains in the 2014 midterms because they are looking to try to win the Presidency in 2016, but they will have little choice once they lose that election which is likely based on just demographics and policies. Not working to improve PPACA will only exacerbate their problems in 2016 and possibly in 2014, but they can't do that or they face the wrath of their base in the primaries and it discourages that base from turning out in the generals. It looks like they are caught between a rock and a hard place and it will be interesting to see if they can even get out of it by 2020 or 2024.

Anyone have a different plausible scenario? Oh yeah, I know, COG and JDB think Obamacare and the U.S.A will collapse entirely just before the 2014 midterms and Republicans take an 80% majority in the Congress, win the Presidency in 2016 with President Rand Paul (who is his VP, Ken Cuchinelli maybe?), repeal Obamacare ban gay marriage (nuke Iran and invade Syria) and restore freedom and economic prosperity almost instantly, right?
Looks like we are going further down the road where poor choices are rewarded and hard work and effort is punished. I really do not think that is the reason this nation exists.
Obamacare, I prefer PPACA, also closes the donut hole for seniors left by Bush's Medicare Part D so once seniors and AARP realize this they will never support any more talk of repeal. The only option left is to leave it as it or work together to improve it.

I doubt Republicans will do that, especially if they make gains in the 2014 midterms because they are looking to try to win the Presidency in 2016, but they will have little choice once they lose that election which is likely based on just demographics and policies. Not working to improve PPACA will only exacerbate their problems in 2016 and possibly in 2014, but they can't do that or they face the wrath of their base in the primaries and it discourages that base from turning out in the generals. It looks like they are caught between a rock and a hard place and it will be interesting to see if they can even get out of it by 2020 or 2024.

Anyone have a different plausible scenario? Oh yeah, I know, COG and JDB think Obamacare and the U.S.A will collapse entirely just before the 2014 midterms and Republicans take an 80% majority in the Congress, win the Presidency in 2016 with President Rand Paul (who is his VP, Ken Cuchinelli maybe?), repeal Obamacare ban gay marriage (nuke Iran and invade Syria) and restore freedom and economic prosperity almost instantly, right? Originally Posted by LordBeaverbrook
Huh? We'd be just as bad off if the Republicans took over. And Rand Paul is not his father.
Huh? We'd be just as bad off if the Republicans took over. And Rand Paul is not his father. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Yeah, sorry, I did kind of mischaracterize your views, but at least you were in with the other wacky nut jobs, just not your wacky nut jobs exactly. I'll work on getting it right.

Yeah, Rand isn't his dad, but they are both Christian Libertarians and I never could figure out how they decided to go with dogma or liberty on any one issue. How does that work? Women don't get liberty for their wombs, but corporations do for their money. I just must be slow because it isn't obvious to me.

You sound just like some of the crotchety Greek and Roman historians saying the world is going to hell in a hand basket. They were right you know, it just took hundreds of years to prove it
  • CJ7
  • 02-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Looks like we are going further down the road where poor choices are rewarded and hard work and effort is punished. I really do not think that is the reason this nation exists. Originally Posted by The2Dogs

so feel free to give up your health insurance
Here are several examples of older citizens doing well with Obamacare. These people have a private Obmacare plan with a premium as low as $58.

http://news.yahoo.com/older-american...154218092.html Originally Posted by flghtr65
Well the premium was actually 358 (still a hell of a deal, especially with a kid a 900 deduct.

In Miami, licensed practical nurse Marie Cadet, who is 54, often works double shifts to make ends meet for herself and her 12-year-old daughter. She had been paying more than $150 a month for health insurance, with a $3,000 deductible. In effect, she paid most medical costs out of her own pocket, including about $80 a month for blood pressure medicine.

After choosing a plan from the marketplace, Cadet's monthly payment dropped to $86 a month, with the government kicking in $300. Her deductible fell to a more affordable $900.
Yeah, sorry, I did kind of mischaracterize your views, but at least you were in with the other wacky nut jobs, just not your wacky nut jobs exactly. I'll work on getting it right.

Yeah, Rand isn't his dad, but they are both Christian Libertarians and I never could figure out how they decided to go with dogma or liberty on any one issue. How does that work? Women don't get liberty for their wombs, but corporations do for their money. I just must be slow because it isn't obvious to me.

You sound just like some of the crotchety Greek and Roman historians saying the world is going to hell in a hand basket. They were right you know, it just took hundreds of years to prove it Originally Posted by LordBeaverbrook
It is going to hell, and much more quickly than the Romans made it happen. And while I respect Ron Paul, I don't agree with him on abortion. I'm more of a Gary Johnson guy. I still wonder why someone who stands for individual freedom and personal responsibility is labeled a "wacky nut job". Go figure.

Well the premium was actually 358 (still a hell of a deal, especially with a kid a 900 deduct.

In Miami, licensed practical nurse Marie Cadet, who is 54, often works double shifts to make ends meet for herself and her 12-year-old daughter. She had been paying more than $150 a month for health insurance, with a $3,000 deductible. In effect, she paid most medical costs out of her own pocket, including about $80 a month for blood pressure medicine.

After choosing a plan from the marketplace, Cadet's monthly payment dropped to $86 a month, with the government kicking in $300. Her deductible fell to a more affordable $900. Originally Posted by Submodo
Oredistribution puts a thrill up your leg... well good for you... Huh?

After choosing a plan from the marketplace, Cadet's monthly payment dropped to $86 a month, with the government kicking in $300. Her deductible fell to a more affordable $900. Originally Posted by Submodo
There was a typo. The premium was $68. I am talking about Maureen Grey, the 58 year old woman from Chicago. From the link in the first post.

"I just cried I was so relieved," said Maureen Grey, a 58-year-old Chicagoan who finally saw a doctor this month after a fall in September left her in constant pain. Laid off twice from full-time jobs in the past five years, she saw her income drop from $60,000 to $17,800 a year. Now doing temp work, she was uninsured for 18 months before she chose a marketplace plan for $68 a month.
So flighty got tired of being hit over the head with bad bulk Obamacare numbers and decided to go cherry pickin'.

The people with moderate to severe pre-existing conditions and poorer paying jobs with little to no health insurance benefit from Obamacare. That has never been in doubt. My guess is the sick and lower-middle class make up the 2.5 million people who have enrolled and most are being subsidized by Obamacare. Most of the young who are signing up are the vincibles or pregnant.

Your numbers only prove the increasing likelihood of a death spiral.

But hey, $300 a month toward healthcare insurance does decrease the cost to its recipient. That's like giving most people a $5K a year raise before taxes. Why doesn't Barry just do this for the auto industry? Give everyone $300 a month towards the lease of a new car? It'll help turn the auto industry around faster.

Even better, why doesn't Barry focus "like a laser" on creating better jobs like he says? And "Putting America Back To Work!"?
I think they are doing well with the premium payments. What we don't truly have yet is co-payments and deductibles and other unforeseen costs. I am willing to bet some people will experience some serious sticker shock in the future. Of course no one will post anything about that.

Jim
Oredistribution puts a thrill up your leg... well good for you... Huh? Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB
Tell ya what. When you stop redistributing my dollars to Goldman Sachs, General Dynamics, and Monsanto, I'll stop redistributing yours to some stupid kid who messed up and got herself born to working-class parents.

Deal?
Tell ya what. When you stop redistributing my dollars to Goldman Sachs, General Dynamics, and Monsanto, I'll stop redistributing yours to some stupid kid who messed up and got herself born to working-class parents.

Deal? Originally Posted by Submodo
Hey, I'll go for that!