Today, two men were found dead...

On board the ship Maersk Alabama two men were found dead. The Alabama was the ship taken by Somali pirates with Captain Phillips. He was rescued and the terrorists were killed by SEAL team six. So when I go online what do I see;

CNN-two men found dead on Maersk Alabama
BBC-two men found dead on Captain Phillips cargo ship
Chicago Tribune-two Americans found dead on Maersk Alabama, Captain Phillip's ship
ABC-two found dead on Maersk Alabama, ship dramatized in Captain Phillips
Reuters-two Americans found dead on Maersk Alabama, Captain Phillip's ship
CBS-two US security officers found dead on Maersk Alabama in Seychelles
and only

FOX News-two former Navy SEALs found dead on Maersk Alabama

some news organizations can't even point out that they were Americans in the headline, ABC can't even admit that they are men, CBS guilds the lily by calling them security officers, and only FOX calls them what they are, former Navy Seals
Poor poor JD..
Poor JDIdiot. One american brain found dead in OP.
On board the ship Maersk Alabama two men were found dead. The Alabama was the ship taken by Somali pirates with Captain Phillips. He was rescued and the terrorists were killed by SEAL team six. So when I go online what do I see;

CNN-two men found dead on Maersk Alabama
BBC-two men found dead on Captain Phillips cargo ship
Chicago Tribune-two Americans found dead on Maersk Alabama, Captain Phillip's ship
ABC-two found dead on Maersk Alabama, ship dramatized in Captain Phillips
Reuters-two Americans found dead on Maersk Alabama, Captain Phillip's ship
CBS-two US security officers found dead on Maersk Alabama in Seychelles
and only

FOX News-two former Navy SEALs found dead on Maersk Alabama

some news organizations can't even point out that they were Americans in the headline, ABC can't even admit that they are men, CBS guilds the lily by calling them security officers, and only FOX calls them what they are, former Navy Seals Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Is there a fucking point? There are probably a LOT of terms that describe the 2 men.

They could be:

"Two former high school basketball players were found dead..."
"Two former boy scouts were found dead..."
"Two former right-handed men were found dead"
"Two former crew members were found dead"

But that won't all FIT in a headline, will it?

BTW, according to the latest news reports, it appears they may have overdosed from injecting drug:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/20/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

Do you really think the Navy SEALS want to claim these guys as their own?

Do you wish you had waited another 24 hours before making this stupid post?
How they died has nothing to do with it. Only one news outlet wrote about the SEAL connection but most of the others mentioned the movie "Captain Phillips". What does that tell you about media priorities or what media thinks is public priorities. You know the same people who can't tell a submachine gun from a rifle. Its about the word choices.
How they died has nothing to do with it. Only one news outlet wrote about the SEAL connection but most of the others mentioned the movie "Captain Phillips". What does that tell you about media priorities or what media thinks is public priorities. You know the same people who can't tell a submachine gun from a rifle. Its about the word choices. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Only one of them was a ex Seal so even their headline wasn't accurate.
You really don't understand do you? I thought it was an act but I guess not. I guess from now on I'll have to cut you some slack like my idiot aunt who was institutuionalized. (she wasn't really a relative but she had been friends with my mother's family for years)

By the way, idiot used in this sense is not a perjorative, it is descriptive and in use at the time. Don't let anyone tell you that you're not important Eva. You're fine just the way you are.
  • WTF
  • 02-21-2014, 09:18 AM
JD would have preferred the headlines to read:

Two former Navy Seals died of a drug overdose onboard the ship the movie "Captain Phillips" was based.

Sounds to me like the so called liberal media was doing the Navy Seals a favor by not putting that in the headlines.
How they died has nothing to do with it. Only one news outlet wrote about the SEAL connection but most of the others mentioned the movie "Captain Phillips". What does that tell you about media priorities or what media thinks is public priorities. You know the same people who can't tell a submachine gun from a rifle. Its about the word choices. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
There is no SEAL "connection".

The mere fact that a guy who died was once a SEAL does not mean that his SEAL background should be mentioned.

If a ex-SEAL dies in a car crash on I-35 during Dallas rush hour traffic, does that mean the Dallas Morning News is wrong if the headline is "Man Dies In 3 Car Accident" instead of "Ex-Seal Dies In 3 Car Accident"?
  • WTF
  • 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM

some news organizations can't even point out that they were Americans in the headline, ABC can't even admit that they are men, CBS guilds the lily by calling them security officers, and only FOX calls them what they are, former Navy Seals Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
All headlines were correct....all you have to do is read the articles of each story to read the rest of the story.

What do you want.....each paper to have the exact same headline?

You really don't understand do you? I thought it was an act but I guess not. I guess from now on I'll have to cut you some slack like my idiot aunt who was institutuionalized. (she wasn't really a relative but she had been friends with my mother's family for years)

By the way, idiot used in this sense is not a perjorative, it is descriptive and in use at the time. Don't let anyone tell you that you're not important Eva. You're fine just the way you are. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
You should be JB instead of JD then it would mean Just Babbling. I think your "idiot" aunt must have been closer than a aunt.

There is no SEAL "connection".

The mere fact that a guy who died was once a SEAL does not mean that his SEAL background should be mentioned.

If a ex-SEAL dies in a car crash on I-35 during Dallas rush hour traffic, does that mean the Dallas Morning News is wrong if the headline is "Man Dies In 3 Car Accident" instead of "Ex-Seal Dies In 3 Car Accident"? Originally Posted by ExNYer

I'm beginning to think that you're as slow as Eva. If it was reported that a former active SEAL was found dead near the compound that housed Bin Laden where he was visiting as a tourist, don't you think that it may be relevant? This isn't some highway crash, this is the ship where a SEAL team killed all the pirates...or didn't you put that together. So are we're not talking about what happened to them, I am talking about the editorial policies of many news outlets. XNYK gets that, Eva doesn't .
You have absolutely no fucking clue what "editorial policy" means in journalism. Web pages. Newspapers magazines ll have headline writers who churn out short headlines all day many times without reading the full story. They may ask the copy desk what's the story about and they may get a reply back "couple of guys died on the Captain Philips boat". Wen they wrote the headline there is a good chance they did not know they were exSeals. It's called How Journalism Really Works. Asshole
Something else. When the first stories were filed it was prolly not known that they were ex Seals. But the time Fox got around to it they had more facts and could put more into headline.
Something else. When the first stories were filed it was prolly not known that they were ex Seals. But the time Fox got around to it they had more facts and could put more into headline. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Maybe the other guys didn't do the heavy lifting like they do at Fox?