Putting folks on ignore

• anita
  • 02-21-2011, 07:59 PM
I have nobody on my ignore list. I don't hate anybody. I may get offended by somone or I may think someone is annoying and not worth reading. But that someone might come up with some very interesting topics/conversations and it will suck if I can't read it. Especially if the thread is rated 5 stars and everybody is hitting the like button lol.
I do not presently have anyone on ignore. Sometimes I think about putting one person on ignore, a person on a local board that I sometimes think is a misogynist, but instead I just avoid reading most of his posts. (Partly this is because some of his posts are informative, and partly because I suspect his posts are intentionally abrasive instead of truly indicatative of his personal views.) In any case, I suspect others already have him on ignore, and if so I do not question that choice. Life is short, and there are many things to do with your time other than reading posts from a person with whom you almost always disagree, a person who raises your blood pressure by its content or phrasing. Time is scarce and has an opportunity cost, other posts we could be reading that may be more informative or simply more pleasing. Personally, I do not think it is my job to convert those with whom I disagree. I do agree that reading and interacting with such a person may, eventually, lead to a resolution of the conflict, or at least some convergence of attitudes. But more than likely this will instead prove to be rather idealistic, and there are any number of historical examples where talking to your 'opponent' fails to resolve a conflict and perhaps is counterproductive or delays an ultimate resolution. While rather extreme, "Why England Slept" comes to mind as just one example from international affairs, although I probably deserve to be taken to task for comparing international affairs to a SHMB.
While rather extreme, "Why England Slept" comes to mind as just one example from international affairs, although I probably deserve to be taken to task for comparing international affairs to a SHMB. Originally Posted by davidsmith0123
We thinck you are correct David, SHMBs are much more important than affairs of state.

It was the body of your post that I found most interesting, I've learned something even from folks I didn't like and sure as hell don't agree with, sometimes only to prove a negative but it's still worthwhile.

Thanks to everyone that responded today and another thanks to the speed posters for finding more unplowed cyber fields to strip mine. There seems to be an actual link between the more thoughtful and articulate posters and open mindedness. Some years ago the hit it and quit it, phase of the hobby started to wane for me. If there wasn't something more than serial vaginal masturbation I became less and less interested. Now that didn't mean that a pretty woman didn't turn my head, but it did mean there had to be something more there. While the nature of 'this thing of ours' is temporary romance, even that can be more than serial carnality.

Not that there is anything wrong with that path, it just lost it's appeal to this very jaded libertine. So I would like to pose that question as well, who finds multiple visits with someone in our world to be more interesting than the next new thing? Does that feeling of getting to really know someone, maybe learn a little more about yourself along the way out pace the more hedonistic delights of the never ending hunt for that next new partner?

I've found those that will follow a thread deeper are more interesting and tend to mirror my aesthetic and delight my limited intellect for those that take this journey with me thanks in advance.
And before someone accuses me of hijacking a thread, let me quote the OP...

OMG... I am quoting Wayward... go figure!! LOL

Smooch!!

Lea Originally Posted by Lea Madisson
Not a hijack at all, Lea your posts were charming, thought provoking and funny, while still being more than a little flirty. I miss that and am really enjoying your participation.
Wayward- I prefer to see someone multiple times.

I also agree that it can be a great thing getting to know someone. Along with getting to explore a little more about yourself. While we can all become jaded in this little world of ours for more than one reason or another, let's not forget that because of the very nature of what we do here that sometimes the only people we can be real with are the ladies we see or the clients the ladies see.

It's a pretty unique "business". There is no other profession where emotions become so intertwined between 2 people. We all on both sides of this have such different reasons for doing this. In this we all can witness the very darkest and best side of a person's personality.
I would never put anyone on ignore.
The way I see it, the more annoying someone is the better the chance they are going to post something I can fuck with them about. There is also a higher than average chance that they will go into full meltdown...and that is like catnip for the soul especially it I happen to supply some heat.
Why would I give up my catnip?
It's like BM said, it's not as much fun if anyone is on ignore.

That doesn't preclude me from ignoring/skimming conversations that don't interest me. Some of the best "hall of fame" quotes are by individuals that could/should be on ignore.

It's a pretty unique "business". There is no other profession where emotions become so intertwined between 2 people. We all on both sides of this have such different reasons for doing this. In this we all can witness the very darkest and best side of a person's personality. Originally Posted by Eccie Addict
Very well said love...
I would never put anyone on ignore.
The way I see it, the more annoying someone is the better the chance they are going to post something I can fuck with them about. There is also a higher than average chance that they will go into full meltdown...and that is like catnip for the soul especially it I happen to supply some heat.
Why would I give up my catnip? Originally Posted by boardman
That is an excellent point, we like to thinck of it as grace under pressure, we are completely smitten by the women that have it and lose interests quickly in the ones that don't. That is not to say we don't love passion or taking things to extreme we love that too. But it becomes a question of balance, I want someone that will challenge me; sexually, intellectually and emotionally. However I don't want someone that is going to stab me with out reason or worse yet because her cornflakes got soggy while she was talking on the phone and I should have made her a fresh bowl of cereal.

EA I couldn't agree more, there are times that only after seeing someone three or four times that what started off great, went to a level we thought improbable in 'this thing of ours'. I get grief from many of my friends because of the choices that sometimes lead to emotional train wrecks, but for me those have been some of the best experiences ever.
If you put people on ignore, it makes it harder to place your bets.
The ONLY people I have put on ignore are those that I did not want contacting me due to the insincere and obviously dangerous attitude they put out on this SHMB. If someone is labeled dangerous by other reliable members (although that's constantly questionable as well...lol) I don't need anymore information than that. It is rare for a tiger to change its stripes, so I would prefer to not have any contact with someone who is a disappointment to the community as a whole. No contact = a safer environment for me.

As for the rest of the douches lounging around...I don't have the best memory these days, so...it's always a nice daily reminder to see who the other asshats are and just move around them instead of indulging their measly efforts.

And for the record, I don't understand "post whores". If it doesn't have some kind of substance then stop wasting bandwidth.

As always,
Happy Hobbying
A humorous post is not a waste of bandwidth...... Just saying..
A humorous post is not a waste of bandwidth...... Just saying.. Originally Posted by Eccie Addict
So what is humorous about posts that consist of;

+1
+100
+1000

just asking.
MMM bottom of my signature line. Do not forget to click the "you" before you click the blue button after it to add me to your ignore list.
thank you

edit: warning "you" is a sound track.
Personally I thinck people take this SHMB a little too seriously. You can ignore someone without putting them on ignore. I also don't understand why people care so much about other people's post especially when the post has nothing to do with them. If it bothers you that much.. don't read it. If it bothers you to the point of insanity then you got issues. It is so frickin simple.