Bloomberg 2020

Really? Does HEB know that? Have you been to HEB lately? Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
I haven't been to an HEB in Austin in awhile. But retailers are not required to provide single-use plastic bags. It's their choice.

Seems like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods will give you paper bags at a nickle or so each last time I was there. No free single-use plastic bags though.

The Texas Supreme Court ruled against the plastic bag ban in Laredo awhile back, so Austin stopped enforcing theirs.

http://www.austintexas.gov/blog/trut...t-plastic-bags
Really? Does HEB know that? Have you been to HEB lately? Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
I dont get to HEB often but Home Depot and Walmart in Nortwest Austin, both of which did not offer plastic bags in the past, now do so.

I beieve that stores can decide for themselves whether or not to offer plastic bags to customers.
I have not been to Berlin in a very long time but it is a beautiful city. This was after the wall went down. Wonderful and resilient people live there.

You'd prefer maybe Berlin, Leni?

If memory serves, they didn't have any retards once upon a time. They had a final solution for that. Originally Posted by Dev Null
I've got like 50 HEB bags because I always forgot to bring my bag so it was 25 cents for one of theirs. That always annoyed me.

I dont get to HEB often but Home Depot and Walmart in Nortwest Austin, both of which did not offer plastic bags in the past, now do so.

I beieve that stores can decide for themselves whether or not to offer plastic bags to customers. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
I have not been to Berlin in a very long time but it is a beautiful city. This was after the wall went down. Wonderful and resilient people live there. Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
I knew someone from West Berlin in the 70's. Heartbreaking story that I can't share here. Yes, they are very resilient.

West Germany was fond of the American GI's, because they knew what it was like on the other side. Wonderful friendly people who were caught up in a colossal shit-show. Not something that history should ever repeat or even approach.
A little hard to do as grocery stores have to ditch the boxes that the night stockers disgorge. Otherwise they would be littered all over the joint. Bringing your own containers is fine. But do you have to be forced to do it? Why not do it because it's just a good idea?

I stop in the grocery store at night. So, I see all the boxes on the pallets, in the isles, than unloaded. As I said, I can't believe I didn't do the Sams/Costco thing with them years ago. Paper for recycling does bring $$$ to those doing it so I try to drop them off at school recycle bins so as they can get the cash for it.
"Forcing" is a different discussion. You can charge for the bag but that doesn't solve the problem in the end without a proper system for reclaiming.

Composting in these here parts is a great idea. We need all the arable soil we can get... Want to really, really open your eyes on these problems, take a few trips to your local landfill on a hot sunny day. Originally Posted by Why_Yes_I_Do
They have a few places here that when full, they have turned into parks. Old Kelly AFB had the million dollar landfill. The stuff they through away over there.... Turned it into a golf course. And I have been unlucky enough to get a whiff from one of the sample pipes they have that vent the trash pile.
Well dang nabbit, I went with option 3, don't shop in Austin. Oh well... Originally Posted by Why_Yes_I_Do
Closet Bezo fan.
Down here in S.A. they give you all the plastic bags you want. Thank goodness. It's so retarded what Austin has done but than it's a libtard city. Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
And that is the wasteful habits that society has to deal with. Lazy too. Must not have been politically active in A-Town as on a John-n-Hooker board.
Austin is the major retarded city. It has the majority of libtards like you - living there. Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
Easier to be a keyboard tyrant than actually voting at a booth.
You'd prefer maybe Berlin, Leni?

If memory serves, they didn't have any retards once upon a time. They had a final solution for that. Originally Posted by Dev Null
You know you compliment her too much by addressing her as Leni. Maybe a retired Ilsa?
I've got like 50 HEB bags because I always forgot to bring my bag so it was 25 cents for one of theirs. That always annoyed me. Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
Hate'n on a plastic bag for ones short comings in the memory department. Tsk tsk.
You know you compliment her too much by addressing her as Leni. Maybe a retired Ilsa? Originally Posted by Precious_b
Ilsa from Casablanca?

Or Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilsa,_She_Wolf_of_the_SS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbV9V_GxDi0

I've never seen it. Looks like a post Charles Manson cross between Hogans Heroes and Caligula. But based on a real person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilse_Koch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6J4vlrfF8
I have not been to Berlin in a very long time but it is a beautiful city. This was after the wall went down. Wonderful and resilient people live there. Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
Although I've been in Germany many times, I was in Berlin for the first time last September. Very interesting city to visit/

And Germany, like many other European countries, is a Social Democracy.

Germany is a typical European social democracy with a massive welfare system and government occupying almost half the GDP.
Germany is a typical European social democracy with a massive welfare system and government occupying almost half the GDP. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
There was someone posting on here recently about how their economy now and for the foreseeable future was for shite. Can't recall whom...

But yeah, fun cities there and some great scenery too. Though I find some German cultural norms a bit too rigid myself.
There was someone posting on here recently about how their economy now and for the foreseeable future was for shite. Originally Posted by Why_Yes_I_Do
Only the fifth largest economy in the world by GDP - slightly larger than Russia, which has a gazillion times the land mass and natural resources.