Cowboy season predictions

It's not always about the quarterback (wins-losses)....if that was the case, why didn't Dan Marino win any rings? Why didn't Elway win one (actually two) until he had a stud running back late in his HOF career?

Bottom line, ya gotta be able to (1) run the ball....(2) stop the run....and (3) pressure / sack the opposing team's qb.

Following those adages, Dallas needs to find a top line running back in next year's draft and continue adding starters / depth to the D-line / Front 7.

Romo will need to be replaced soon enough (but) Dallas still has many more needs at this time. Drafting a qb in the first round is a luxury they cannot afford at this time. Perhaps a decent one will still be available in the 5th or 6th round (say....didn't Brady go in the 6th? Hmmmm....) Originally Posted by Chateau Becot
Never said anything about drafting a quarterback in the first round, just that they draft a quarterback. It doesn't have to be a Heisman Candidate, or some over-hyped first round stud. Dallas needs some defense, true, but Romo's only got one or two years left in him. Especially after all the times he's been hurt.

The Cowboys need to draft a quarterback so they can start looking to the future. Even if Romo does comes back, how many seasons does he have left? I'm sorry, but Cassell ain't it. Originally Posted by Tx Noob
That guy sucks as a qb, he looks like a nervous wreck Originally Posted by biglatinmale
The only reason Matt Cassell did well in New England is because he had Tom Brady's team. Maybe he'll be better next year as a backup after he's studied the system, but I swear there were times he looked like a deer in headlights. He's shown some moments, but to me he's not more than a backup.
Dallas needs some good pass rushers and a playmaking DB , a quality running back would also be nice, McFadden isnt the longterm solution but rather a temporary fix. Last but not least Dallas needs to draft a qb , this team has never came close to competing for the Superbowl with romo and they never will, you simply can't rely on a meduocrew QB year in and year out to be your savior.
#orangecrush

Sorry, off topic. Had to get my shout out!
#orangecrush

Sorry, off topic. Had to get my shout out! Originally Posted by BBW Katrina
Anyone who beats NE is ok in my book!
Dallas needs some good pass rushers and a playmaking DB , a quality running back would also be nice, McFadden isnt the longterm solution but rather a temporary fix. Last but not least Dallas needs to draft a qb , this team has never came close to competing for the Superbowl with romo and they never will, you simply can't rely on a meduocrew QB year in and year out to be your savior. Originally Posted by wildboy_214
Do you mean mediocre? What is mediocre about a guy who led the league in QB rating last year? He came close to getting us there last year and in 2007. Don't post about things you are incredibly ignorant of. You seem to know as much as football as you do the English language, which is very little.
Oh, well.........at least Dallas has their past glory of 5 Super Bowl wins!
Oh, well.........at least Dallas has their past glory of 5 Super Bowl wins! Originally Posted by davidfree986
We have the basis of a great team now, with better luck, this would be an entirely different year. Yes, we need a running back, more depth in the D-line, and to get people back from injury like Scandrick. It is looking like we'll be in an excellent position to draft those immediate needs and more.
We have the basis of a great team now, with better luck, this would be an entirely different year. Yes, we need a running back, more depth in the D-line, and to get people back from injury like Scandrick. It is looking like we'll be in an excellent position to draft those immediate needs and more. Originally Posted by Look-at-Stupid
Yes, they were basically injury free last year and went 12-4. The Cowboys have one of if not the most dominant offensive line in the NFL, but as JJ has found out, not just anyone can run behind it and get the yards to sustain drives. The defense has been doing pretty darn good, gave up 13 points to a Seattle team that just put up 39 on the Steelers and 14 of Carolina's 33 points were pick 6's. I agree depth is always going to be a need. They really need a stud quarterback and running back, and will not get either through trades nor will they be free agents on the streets. The bad thing is, they do not draft very well since Jones has taken over. They need a football guy (GM) that can evaluate talent. Jerry is an oil guy who has no idea what he is doing, he needs to stay on the business side like the other owners of NFL teams.
Yes, they were basically injury free last year and went 12-4. The Cowboys have one of if not the most dominant offensive line in the NFL, but as JJ has found out, not just anyone can run behind it and get the yards to sustain drives. The defense has been doing pretty darn good, gave up 13 points to a Seattle team that just put up 39 on the Steelers and 14 of Carolina's 33 points were pick 6's. I agree depth is always going to be a need. They really need a stud quarterback and running back, and will not get either through trades nor will they be free agents on the streets. The bad thing is, they do not draft very well since Jones has taken over. They need a football guy that can evaluate talent as Jerry is an oil guy who has no idea what he is doing. Originally Posted by davidfree986
Seems to me they drafted pretty well in the last 5 years or so? The O-line, Scandrick, Lee (when healthy), Murray, and even the exception Claiborne has played very well this year. He seems to be doing a better job of listening to his football people.

And give him credit, at least he did not draft Johnny Football, and took Zack Martin who is the best at his position and headed to another Pro Bowl.
Oh, well.........at least Dallas has their past glory of 5 Super Bowl wins! Originally Posted by davidfree986

For the record, only 20 of the 32 (current) franchises have ever hoisted the trophy.....maybe this one (the 50th Super Bowl) we'll see a new team added to the list?

That said, fans in Cincy, Cleveland, Atlanta, Detroit, Philadelphia (especially Philly!!).....ALL would KILL to get their first Lombardi Trophy and victory parade.....

.........not to mention Buffalo, Houston, San Diego, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Carolina, Arizona and Tennessee. Los Angeles would be on this list IF they even had a team....

And....(lastly) Jets and Chiefs fans are wondering if they'll EVER make it back again!
Imo, we have the offensive talent that we need; they just need to have their feet held to the fire to perform. If Romo can get back into shape, I think he has a couple of years left in him, but JJ has to put a line in front of him that can hold the pocket. Our defense is our weakness. We have to be able to put more pressure on opposing QB's and, for the love of God, will somebody unfuck our secondary. It never fails; the camera pans to the receiver and there isn't a Dallas player in the frame. Passing QB's must love us.
Do you mean mediocre? What is mediocre about a guy who led the league in QB rating last year? He came close to getting us there last year and in 2007. Don't post about things you are incredibly ignorant of. You seem to know as much as football as you do the English language, which is very little. Originally Posted by Look-at-Stupid
Awww you sound butthurt about the whole situation, typical homer rocking a set of blinders and throwing out the useless QB rating stat in todays pass happy NFL, pathetic.

2 playoff wins in 13 years is mediocre to me and your rant on how "he came close to getting us there" is laughable, im sorry but the divisional round isn't close to getting anyone anywhere lol i could go on and on but I'll let you tell us about how great they will be next year lmao
Imo, we have the offensive talent that we need....... Originally Posted by daty/o
I disagree wholeheartedly.

Both Romo and Dez losing games due to injuries was a clear indication as to how fragile this year's "business model" (offense).

Clearly the proposed RBC did not work.....Joseph Randle was incompetent and mentally / emotionally simply wasn't prepared to be the Number One Guy. The Jones Family and Garrett greatly over-estimated his value to the team.

And for the record, MacFadden's current 3.8 yards-per-carry just ain't what I call "gettin' it done". He's a nice "change-of-pace" guy but shouldn't be counted on to be that 300+ carry RB anymore....(Derrick Henry might look pretty nice running behind this O-line for the next five-six years....)

And. Lord help us....the Invisible Man, Terrance Williams....simply needs to be a bench player, if even that. He couldn't handle the WR duties while Dez was out. And obviously needs the Romo magic to be effective. We need someone better, period.

In retrospect, losing Demarco Murray to Philly in free agency has proven to be a debacle for both teams this season. Dallas lost a huge part of it's identity that was forged last year....and the Iggles have simply not been able to utilize his unique skills the way the Cowboys did. Both teams lost out on this one.

Moving forward, Dallas will need to find: (a) a stud running back and (b) a stud wide receiver (one with speed AND hands that can take the top off the opposing DB's). At their current rate, they may be drafting in the Top Five and just about anyone they will want should be there.
Seems to me they drafted pretty well in the last 5 years or so? The O-line, Scandrick, Lee (when healthy), Murray, and even the exception Claiborne has played very well this year. He seems to be doing a better job of listening to his football people.

And give him credit, at least he did not draft Johnny Football, and took Zack Martin who is the best at his position and headed to another Pro Bowl. Originally Posted by Look-at-Stupid
The last few years have been good, although the talent after their first pick have been busts.........and speaking of busts, that would be most of the free agent and trades during the JJ era, excluding when Jimmy Johnson was head coach. And because he keeps trading away draft picks to get players that are busts, JJ keeps on par with that course. The offensive line is great, and the defense is manageable, but neither can score, especially since the defense cannot force a turnover, much less score pick 6. The boys need more playmakers then just Dez, and drafting a stud QB would be the starting point as they need to tank games to get in the top 3 draft positions. The next thing to do is get a powerful and fast RB in the second round that run downhill. Also, if TCU's Josh Doctson is available after that, get him.
Awww you sound butthurt about the whole situation, typical homer rocking a set of blinders and throwing out the useless QB rating stat in todays pass happy NFL, pathetic.

2 playoff wins in 13 years is mediocre to me and your rant on how "he came close to getting us there" is laughable, im sorry but the divisional round isn't close to getting anyone anywhere lol i could go on and on but I'll let you tell us about how great they will be next year lmao Originally Posted by wildboy_214
Top QB rating a useless stat? Keep on showing your lack of knowledge, and I will keep laughing you. This may be a revelation to you, but football is a team sport, and we have only had a good team behind Romo a couple of times while he has been a starter.

And how is the divisional round, one win away from a NFC championship game, not close to getting anywhere? Damn boy. And yes, they will be very good next year