Funny RELIGION / ATHEIST Thread

Umm, ok, ....
Hey UC,
This is not as far off as one may think. There are some eye opening statistics about what the percentate of atheists have prayed in their lives (about 70%), and how many pray often, and/or regularly (about 35%): this is not even considering the combat veterans who may be called the "fox hole prayers". The conclusion is that very few atheist are really atheists; they are really agnostics (they acknowldged that they don't know). That makes sense because there is a lot that none of us understand 100%. It is an important distinction in the true meanings of words, not what is implyed. It is also unsettling to many to admit that there are areas where we do not have a complete understanding. We try to put things in a box, classify them, and think we understand when we do not. I have been working on science almost all of my life: there are many areas that I do not fully understand, and there are areas that I do not know exist. The total lack of knowledge about a specific something is called ignorance. We all are ignorant of something.

The best example for me was my graduate work in microbiology: hey guy, we have been told that there were only two kingdoms, plant and animal. These bugs don't fit in either category, and those bugs overthere are different also, along with those, and those.

What is this? This fungi has animal characteristics, and those yeasts have something else, and the algae have some characteristics of bacteria. What is going on with the slime bacteria?

Today there are more than two kingdoms. Many things were reclassified, because we began to think differently.

Don't get upset trying to get the point and the connection to religious thought. There are people who think about these things: but very few well known conservative preachers like a past college room mate. Just get on with your life in peace.