Don't Let Ignorant People Vote!!!

This appeared on the CNN Opinion page today. Some of the excerpts are:

DISCUSSION: Should there be some test in order to vote? Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
CT...my brutha...please tell me this is a goof. As the guy who's spent the majority of his time here being somebody's "dumb guy" pinata...you must know who the first to "flunk" any such test would be...

OH...Our Hero...Oliva Howard...summed this one up. Once upon a time literacy was the "straw man" test for intelligence. How'd that work out?

Let anyone who's otherwise eligible to vote...vote! If the majority of those of us who vote are "stupid"...well then, give us the government we deserve...
BTW CT, weren't you the one who wanted make it easier for people to vote -- e.g., from the couch in between reality shows? You do realize this would largely just lead to more "ignorant" voting -- driven by hot button issues and the last person that they heard from.
  • WTF
  • 04-12-2011, 07:07 PM
I’m all for continuing our present system wherein all, entitled UNITED STATES citizens are given the right to vote: good or bad; informed, ignorant or stupid. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Well of course you'd be for that!

Excellent idea Charles! No right to vote without a NASCAR ticket stub.
Well of course you'd be for that!
Originally Posted by WTF
Alas, even the educated among us must suffer the fools. Perhaps that is why it’s called universal suff’r-age?
Don't let ignorant people post.
Don't let ignorant people post. Originally Posted by ThrillBill88
ECCIE's going to lose a lot of members...
We can't keep dead people from voting...how are we gonna keep the ignorant from doing the same?

- Pay them not to vote?
Like a literacy test that they used to have to keep most African Americans, immigrants, and some uneducated whites from voting... hey, they do say history repeats itself...

I do think that everyone should have there say in who and how the government is run etc. Even smart people can perform poorly on literacy tests... how do you measure intelligence? Its all good until someone tests your children and say they are retarded right??...
Like a literacy test that they used to have to keep most African Americans, immigrants, and some uneducated whites from voting... hey, they do say history repeats itself...

I do think that everyone should have there say in who and how the government is run etc. Even smart people can perform poorly on literacy tests... how do you measure intelligence? Its all good until someone tests your children and say they are retarded right??... Originally Posted by Jamie1234
LMAO..! True, True..
If we did, of its 80,000 or so members, how many from eccie would you have vote, Charlie? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
The correct answer was: the board owner and his mods.
Closed as per request of the OP.