Is Backpage Really Worth it?

The short answer to BP being worth it is "no" - for all the reasons you cited, and then some.

It took me a while to discover ECCIE and even when I did I was reluctant to join - it felt to me like surfing BP was a temporary and occasional thing, and joining an online community like this was mentally committing to making the hobby a regular activity, which I wasn't ready to do for a while.

Even when I joined up, poor TCB here kept me going back to BP for a while - no response to inquiries, even a few days in advance, whereas with BP I could pick three or four ads, one would certainly answer her phone and be available right away. Nowadays, I schedule a few days in advance and since I have a respectable number of reviews/references the providers respond (mostly).

Even when I get left hanging and nobody on the SNATCH page is responding, I don't go back to BP anymore. That's not to say I won't if I'm gagging for a shagging and nobody here is responding, but it's my firm intention to never go back to those pages. Too much risk and too many disappointing encounters, and even the good ones don't provide the quality of service that the ECCIE providers do.
I'm surprised we have not heard from the president of backpage on this! Maybe she will check in later.