Suicide Prevention

Awesome of you, much respect! Originally Posted by bigdaddyar
Thank you! I'm fighting the good fight
I fully understand how a sucidle person thinks when you lose hope of swing a end or u should say the light at the end of the tunnel you start thinking i would be better off dead

Plus let's see how well you do without me and my help Originally Posted by CatMan4u
You are accurate, I think there are suicides that stem from vengeance or spite towards others in their lives that have let them down or haven't done "their part". I can understand being in a dark place, feeling unappreciated, and hopeless, and wanting others to recognize your value and what you bring to the table, and thinking they will only see all that you do once you aren't there to do it anymore.

Anything ever been helpful in the past in stopping those thoughts or feelings? What works/doesn't work?
Wow, hadn't heard of those protective factors before, especially pets, but it makes sense when you think of emotional support animals. With all the pets in shelters, we need to better match the supply with the demand. Again, thanks for raising the awareness! Originally Posted by hogmanjones
Absolutely! Thank you for participating in the discussion!

Yes, think of the things that you HAVE to wake up for in the morning, or else, shit hits the fan, lol. So pets, you gotta get up and walk them/feed them or you are gonna have a mess. Kids, they tend to get loud and grumpy when you forget to feed em or take them outside to play. Social supports, people that are stable, consistent, available to talk through the highs and lows of life, give feedback, but mostly, provide love and a safe place. I also like to think of protective factors as the things that you live for or the things that keep you from making the final decision to follow through with the suicidal thoughts... something keeps you from actually attempting, what is that? That's your protective factor!

And yes, I think emotional support animals should be prescribed far more often than they are. Support animals are absolutely amazing, from seizures, to child sexual abuse victims, to anxiety, and panic attacks; support animals can aid in allowing that person to live a full life, life of good quality, and with an appropriate level of functioning.
Wow, hadn't heard of those protective factors before, especially pets, but it makes sense when you think of emotional support animals. With all the pets in shelters, we need to better match the supply with the demand. Again, thanks for raising the awareness! Originally Posted by hogmanjones
Also, spiritual beliefs or religion is a big protective factor for a lot of people. Whether it is fear of sinning by suicide or fear of the unknown/uncertainty with death and the after-life. I have also found it fascinating that one of the biggest observable signs of suicide is a decrease/slowed blink rate. In general, when we are deep in thought or concentrating, our blinking rate slows slightly. A person who is contemplating or actively preparing for suicide will blink less because they are that deep in thought, that deeply concentrating, and attempting to muster up the bravery to counter the one goal that our body has, which is TO SURVIVE/TO LIVE.