Texas or Tejas, what's your opinion?

The "Mexica" (AKA Aztecs) are Native Americans.

But, I found this on the Internet:

Tejas
is the Spanish spelling of a Caddo word taysha, which means "friend" or "ally" www.texasbeyondhistory.net/tejas/
The "Mexica" (AKA Aztecs) are Native Americans.

But, I found this on the Internet:

Tejas
is the Spanish spelling of a Caddo word taysha, which means "friend" or "ally" www.texasbeyondhistory.net/tejas/ Originally Posted by I B Hankering
That reminds me of a student I had from Central America once.
The native American part. Wow, a blast from the past.
I'm not a native, so maybe that is why I don't give a hoot either way! I will probably always call it "Texas" until the name is officially changed (changed back?).

I hadn't heard of the "taking back Tejas" phenomenon. I knew some people occasionally called it such, but I had no idea there were others that were so passionate about it.
Carrie,

I would really like to understand. I'm not asking to agree.

(I'm not a native, so maybe that is why I don't give a hoot either way!)

Are you European?
I'm not a native, so maybe that is why I don't give a hoot either way! Originally Posted by Carrie Hillcrest
Me, neither! East Coast born & raised...

Carrie,

I would really like to understand. I'm not asking to agree.

(I'm not a native, so maybe that is why I don't give a hoot either way!)

Are you European? Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
Um...'cuse me, boss...

Why would she have to be European to not care? With apologies to one of Tejas' favorite sons (Senor Lovett)....

"That's right...she's NOT from Texas...but Texas loves her anyway!"
Excuse me. Texas is U.S.

I'd die for it just like Ohio.
I haven't researched any of it.

My SO is Hispanic and speaks Spanish (Mexican?) fluently.

Texas is pronounced "TEH has."

Mexico is pronounced "MEH hi co."

To me it's a linquistic issue, not historical.
Excuse me. Texas is U.S.

I'd die for it just like Ohio. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
Wasn't aware anyone had made THAT an option...yet....

Having spent almost 5 years in Tejas now, it is my sad duty to report that you hold them in higher regard than they hold you!
Having spent almost 5 years in Tejas now, it is my sad duty to report that you hold them in higher regard than they hold you! Originally Posted by Sisyphus
Really?

How sad. How very sad.

And how or why is that funny may I ask?
Really?

How sad. How very sad.

And how or why is that funny may I ask? Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
For the most part...no. It's schtick. Kill-joy!

All schtick aside...I have encountered SOME of that in my time down here....

I don't understand....couldn't possibly understand, fill-in-the-blank-with-your-goofy-behavior-or-outlook, because I'm not FROM here.

Sorta like the Deep South...but with a bit of libertarian twist...
LOL, I've heard of schtick. That's a NY thing I think.

Yeah, I remember the "Freeze a Yankee" back in the 70's.
There intent is to take all the land back and they are very slowly doing it. Another ten years, the southwest will again belong to Mexico because it will be majority mexican. Originally Posted by topsgt38801
+1

start learning spanish folks; there are areas of town where the businesses have boards only in espanol
  • WTF
  • 05-19-2011, 02:51 AM
+1

start learning spanish folks; there are areas of town where the businesses have boards only in espanol Originally Posted by shaft.drive
Hot Damn!

I've hear tell that there is a place in New York City called Little Italy. I hope they ain't about to take over New York!

Shit I went tubing in New Braunsfel and a woman spoke to me in German, turns out that whole town was settled by them folks. Maybe the Germans will fight the Mexicans for Texas!

http://www.selectsmart.com/DISCUSS/read.php?16,811104
Hot Damn!

I've hear tell that there is a place in New York City called Little Italy. I hope they ain't about to take over New York!

Shit I went tubing in New Braunsfel and a woman spoke to me in German, turns out that whole town was settled by them folks. Maybe the Germans will fight the Mexicans for Texas!

http://www.selectsmart.com/DISCUSS/read.php?16,811104 Originally Posted by WTF

No. They were allied in regaining the ceded territories for Mexico: see Zimmerman Telegram.
I understand the historical perspective but quite frankly in terms of the Republic/State get over it and live in the now. Its nice to look back nostalgically from time to time but all of history is conquest now matter where you live. Give it up and make your lives in the here and now and quite whining over who stole what from whom!

Come here, don't come here I don't care which you choose. Just when you get here (and do so legally!!!!!) be responsible, productive and make lasting relationships with your fellow Texans. I love to have new neighbors whom I can laugh with, work side by side and improve the land of Texas smiled upon by God!

There take that!!!!!!