Specs v Contact lenses

A good friend does ophthalmological work (reattaching retinas, etc.). Each time I visit I ask her about doing lasik. Twenty years later and she still does not see a need for it (okay it *might* make me more attractive to the opposite sex). If and when she says it is okay to do it, I’ll give the procedure consideration.

I have a friend who wears one contact. That eye does the close up stuff, the other counter balances and does the far away stuff. They are comfortable with it. BTW, this person works in medicine (and not sweeping the hallways either. )
lasik eye surgery Originally Posted by WTF
I did lasik and it did not last i have to do again ;.(
I did lasik and it did not last i have to do again ;.( Originally Posted by ninasastri
Nina, please wait to have your next lasik....I'd prefer it if you were not able to see so well until after we have a chance to meet...it might help!!
A good friend does ophthalmological work (reattaching retinas, etc.). Each time I visit I ask her about doing lasik. Twenty years later and she still does not see a need for it (okay it *might* make me more attractive to the opposite sex). If and when she says it is okay to do it, I’ll give the procedure consideration.

I have a friend who wears one contact. That eye does the close up stuff, the other counter balances and does the far away stuff. They are comfortable with it. BTW, this person works in medicine (and not sweeping the hallways either. ) Originally Posted by SR Only
I did lasik and it did not last i have to do again ;.( Originally Posted by ninasastri
I too know a doc or two & they aren't that high on it either. On the other hand I know a number of people that are pleased with it.

One thing I would say is not all Lasik Docs are created equal....kind of like the difference between shopping at CL/BP and D&T....these docs offering "buy one get one free" and payment plans or advertising how many ten's of thousands of procedures they've done scare me. I don't want a virgin but I don't want to be #4 at 10am either....

I don't know the science...just my perceptions
I've known several people to get Lasik and have heard nothing but good things...x
Lasik rocks!
WTF, I'm trying to get past the squeemish factor of contacts lol..never mind lasik

C x Originally Posted by Camille
I'm with 'ya, Lady C-! I imagine I would enjoy life, post-lasik, immensely...if I could just get past the whole "uggie" thing. If there was a way to perform the procedure while I was under general anesthesia, I'd sign up in a heartbeat! I'm the person that struggles to get to the dentist on the regular because I can't the smell of a dentist's drill on my teeth. I can't imagine NOT taking off like a shot when something like a laser gets near my eyes. It's hell being a wuss!

I couldn't wear contacts for the longest time because of astigmatism. When that hurdle was finally surmounted I gave them a go. I was so close to getting used to them...was up to wearing them several hours per day. One day, I was riding in a car with the window open & a speck of something flew into my eye.

Worst pain...EVER! As soon as I got to a place where I could do so...I took them out. Haven't intentionally poked myself in the eye since...
Thanks everyone. There is a lot in here for me to think about and some great questions for me to ask the Optician. Much appreciated.

C xxx

p.s. Thank you Victoria xxx
Thanks everyone. There is a lot in here for me to think about and some great questions for me to ask the Optician. Much appreciated.

C xxx

p.s. Thank you Victoria xxx Originally Posted by Camille
[Just a suggestion: skip the optician and go straight to an ophthalmologist. If you decide surgery, you'll need an ophthalmologist anyway, and s/he'll be able to screen for eye diseases, which, if they exist, you'll want to find ASAP. The exam will be more thorough than just looking at your vision needs.]
[Just a suggestion: skip the optician and go straight to an ophthalmologist. If you decide surgery, you'll need an ophthalmologist anyway, and s/he'll be able to screen for eye diseases, which, if they exist, you'll want to find ASAP. The exam will be more thorough than just looking at your vision needs.] Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
optician = the guy you buy your glasses from

opthamologist = eye doctor

btw, I wanna bitch about one of the all time great rackets in government history: In Georgia the Rx for your glasses or contacts is only good for one year. If you are smart about it (and have the money/this actually sucks more for the poor) you can buy a second or 3rd year's worth before the year is up...but the intent is to make you go spend $100 for a piece of shit 3 minute eye exam every year. My Rx hasn't changed in over 10 years
optician = the guy you buy your glasses from - normally, he can just prescribe the lens adjustment, not test your eyes for diseases.

opthamologist = eye doctor

btw, I wanna bitch about one of the all time great rackets in government history: In Georgia the Rx for your glasses or contacts is only good for one year. If you are smart about it (and have the money/this actually sucks more for the poor) you can buy a second or 3rd year's worth before the year is up...but the intent is to make you go spend $100 for a piece of shit 3 minute eye exam every year. My Rx hasn't changed in over 10 years Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Agreed.

However, I first needed glasses about age 33. Graduated to bifocals about 7 years after that, and trifocals about 10 years after that. This year, I had basically the same Rx as far as sharpness was concerned, but I found that it was increasingly harder and harder to read normal size (like in paperback books) print. Complained to the doc, and he increased the magnification. It worked like a charm.
No an optician cannot prescribe glasses or contacts...

Sure he can perform an eye exam...it isn't too hard to ask someone to read the lowest line they can on a chart...heck, even the school nurse can do it...

But you have to be an optometrist or opthamologist to prescribe something. The lines have blurred to much of the public because many optical stores (Lenscrafters, etc.) will have an eye doctor on staff to perform exams & write Rxs
Charles,

Think of it this way:

opthamologist is like your medical doctor...he diagnoses you and writes an Rx.

the optician is like you pharmacist...he fills your Rx
No an optician cannot prescribe glasses or contacts...

Sure he can perform an eye exam...it isn't too hard to ask someone to read the lowest line they can on a chart...heck, even the school nurse can do it...

But you have to be an optometrist or opthamologist to prescribe something. The lines have blurred to much of the public because many optical stores (Lenscrafters, etc.) will have an eye doctor on staff to perform exams & write Rxs Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Yeah, I was thinking about optometrist.

I've had glaucoma for over 30 years so have seen only ophthalmologists during that time. My suggestion was that IF (like PJ's "if") you've never had your eyes screened for disease before, it would be prudent now that you're turning your attention that way, anyway.