Anyone know why are our newest fighters-5th generation-are slower than our older fighters

The SR71 Blackbird sole purpose was to fly into enemy territory solo and take photos. The military goal was to get the plane in the country before our enemy even knew it was on the way and intercept. If they shot a missile at it the plane was faster.
  • pxmcc
  • 10-07-2023, 08:04 AM
The SR71 Blackbird sole purpose was to fly into enemy territory solo and take photos. The military goal was to get the plane in the country before our enemy even knew it was on the way and intercept. If they shot a missile at it the plane was faster. Originally Posted by Fizley
ya when i read about the SR-71 outrunning missiles, my jaw dropped to just about the floor.

thing leaked a custom fuel on the tarmac, but at 70,000 feet, there were no worries. strange bird, no doubt. i'm still amazed it hasn't been surpassed in speed by any of the young whipper snappers like the F-16 or the f-22 raptor. thing first flew in the 1960's-1964 to be exact-with all analog dials, and even today, it's still the boss when it comes to speed records..
  • pxmcc
  • 10-11-2023, 02:39 AM
here's a cool video on Japan's 6th-generation godzilla fighter jet currently in development. japan is a bad mofo and we could really use their help vs. China.

https://youtu.be/sF5Caiq-xGw?si=Uu502tYJ2ybxieFm
ya when i read about the SR-71 outrunning missiles, my jaw dropped to just about the floor.

thing leaked a custom fuel on the tarmac, but at 70,000 feet, there were no worries. strange bird, no doubt. i'm still amazed it hasn't been surpassed in speed by any of the young whipper snappers like the F-16 or the f-22 raptor. thing first flew in the 1960's-1964 to be exact-with all analog dials, and even today, it's still the boss when it comes to speed records.. Originally Posted by pxmcc

Let's not forget how fast the B-58 Hustler was, but they really didn't find a job for it.

I remember as a kid loving the looks and lines for the Xb-70 Valkyrie and it was also very fast.

i was shocked to find out our older fighter jets were faster than our newer fighters. doesn't that create a disadvantage in an aerial dogfight? anyone know the backstory? Originally Posted by pxmcc
That's the only way they could comply with the EPA's stricter emission standards.
  • pxmcc
  • 10-11-2023, 11:56 PM
That's the only way they could comply with the EPA's stricter emission standards. Originally Posted by MarcellusWalluz
lol sir..

DJ: very cool plane!
Well....
As I previously mentioned, if there's issues arising within political commentary in this local forum. I'd end it.
In that the National board has a specific forum for political whatnot, from now on, post in that forum.

Closing thread.