VPN and What is It?

Finding some decent VPN stuff. Ran into Tunnel Bear. Great reviews. Lots of things I loved on it.

I see vpn as something that may be necessary due to censorship. So whether tracking is possible, it will be needed to access web pages like this in the future.

Reading security features of a few vpns, logs are not kept. Or recorded. So a few will make it very difficult to pull IPs from or know what you're accessing. Just make sure vpn isn't hosted in a five eyes country. Most listed as good vpns on pcmag or tech radar are good to use. Mongers might be able to get away with free usage, but providers may need to pay, but are extremely cheap. Just for checking PM and emails, even a free one would be good for 90 to 95 percent of the hobby community. But if running any streaming services, cams, or large portion of photos, might consider investing if not having one already. But for day to day on a site like this, try a free one first like the one I posted above here.
Those who are familiar with VPN apps, can someone please describe when and where one would use a VPN app? Especially for hobby services.

I found a site that recommended some free ones. Found a few and really like Windscribe.

Heard others like Nord are good.

For those not familiar, will someone please write when, where and why someone will use the apps.

Thank you... Originally Posted by Dr Grey
Why can't you just ask Google
Don't really work lol. Vpn's and Ip's can still be traced no matter what. Unless you are bad ass anonymous hacker. Originally Posted by SanMarcosGuy
Exactly VPN's are not 100% but I'm a whore what do I know smh if you would Google and use the search button it would help you.. All youre doing is giving the cops more information on how to take you're dumbass out smh..
Because I wanted the info posted here since I'm sure a large portion of the hobby population is clueless on what it does and why they would need one. Believe me, I've looked it up and tested a number of apps.
Mentioning VPN does nothing. Especially if you know how they work. Doesn't harm anything to talk about it here. People use VPN everyday to do web research, access sites otherwise not accessible, stream content from other countries like news. It's not illegal to use a VPN to protect your connection from hackers either.

And maybe by talking about it, they'll realize they fucked up with censoring the internet. I'm only expanding on thoughts around the many cities and a thread here suggesting the same things but likelihood of folks engaging or reading might be slim buried in the story. Its being talked about everywhere. Especially major news sites.

VPN tech might not just be useful for this site or sites like it. But may be the only way to have uncensored internet going forward as Hollywood streamlines and censors all our content.
Another reality as I posited above is that:

Websites (like this one) especially bank and financial websites AUTOMATICALLY BLOCK many IP addresses, especially those originating off shore and thus require extra security identification steps.

imo, a U.S. based financial institution based in San Antonio Texas may welcome traffic from, say, Mexico, but deny all traffic originating in Africa, or Asia or even Europe and maybe Canada, because that financial institution knows that it has zero customers based in those IP domains.

Very easy for IT professionals to block incoming traffic.

And even TORs and VPNs using, say, exits in Pennsylvania -- or maybe Oklahoma -- can be blocked because many of those TORs and VPNs have been well identified as being TORs and VPNs.

Often the financial institution may give a customer a special incoming web address to help acknowledge the customer's legitimacy, but I have run into only a few of such gateways and even then special security helps protect the institution more so than the customer.
Often the financial institution may give a customer a special incoming web address to help acknowledge the customer's legitimacy... Originally Posted by ck1942
If you are doing any banking online and not using two-factor authentication, you are making a big mistake.

If your bank does not support two-factor authentication, find a new bank.
I am in the IT field if anyone has any questions feel free to message me. There are different reasons to get a VPN service. Security, being anonymous and to get past firewalls or restrictions are just a handful of reasons. People on here are really condescending a lot :/
If you don't have/bring value to a convo just stay out because most of the time your just being dick.
Search for China and vpn's lol.
If you are doing any banking online and not using two-factor authentication, you are making a big mistake.

If your bank does not support two-factor authentication, find a new bank. Originally Posted by PillowChaffer
Really good advice.
I Am Anonymous When I Use a VPN – 10 Myths Debunked Originally Posted by PillowChaffer
That's an ad for vypyr VPN.
I am in the IT field if anyone has any questions feel free to message me. There are different reasons to get a VPN service. Security, being anonymous and to get past firewalls or restrictions are just a handful of reasons. People on here are really condescending a lot :/
If you don't have/bring value to a convo just stay out because most of the time your just being dick. Originally Posted by BRANDON1999
Thanks for reaching out. I'll send a PM shortly.
That's an ad for vypyr VPN. Originally Posted by Dr Grey
Folks, I am not advertising for any VPN but if you think a VPN will make you hidden or invisible on the internet, that is just not true.
Folks, I am not advertising for any VPN but if you think a VPN will make you hidden or invisible on the internet, that is just not true. Originally Posted by PillowChaffer
You're absolutely right, it doesn't make you hidden or invisible. It Shows your IP at another location, even out of the country..