Apple are tracking your location

Calling that "legit" use is a bit of a stretch for me.

I am waiting for the hackers to find that an android OS phone is doing the same thing.

It's like an EZ-Pass (toll RFID device) can in effect track where you are going. I have put my EZ-Pass in the special bag (mutes the ability for the toll readers to "see" the unit) and paid cash so Mrs. SRO doesn't glance at the bill and see when and where I have been going. Originally Posted by SR Only
You'd be in trouble with that system in the DFW area for two reasons:
1. Toll tags are permanently attached to your windshield. They no longer issue the plastic packages that are held on with velcro. Stickers are just that, adhesive backed patches that go in the center of the windshield behind your rear view mirror.
2. There is no option allowing you to pay as you drive through the toll booth, they are all unmanned and the option to throw coins in the hopper has been removed. Vehicles that don't pay are photographed and then billed by tracking your license plate (allegedly farmed out to the Oklahoma penal system). So, if you did that here you'd be receiving bills from the tollway authority advising you when and where you passed through the toll plazas. If you ignore enough of them they include a nice photo of the vehicle and its operator.

ca

That sux. I'll stay up north (and be just Yankee, not Damn Yankee ).
Well, you can take side streets. Most of the highways I've seen in Dallas have access roads running parallel.
Well, you can take side streets. Most of the highways I've seen in Dallas have access roads running parallel. Originally Posted by pjorourke
That's true in most cases. Depending on the part of the state you're in the frontage roads (N Texas) or feeder roads (S Texas) run relatively parallel to major toll roads. There are some major interchanges that don't have convenient secondary bypass routes though.

That sux. I'll stay up north (and be just Yankee, not Damn Yankee ). Originally Posted by SR Only
As a transplanted Buckeye, I'd never consider calling anyone a Damn Yankee, however...........that doesn't apply to the overpaid cretins that play baseball in The Bronx!
I assume android is on the same path. But:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20056657-281.html Originally Posted by SR Only
Si..they are. If you think Google isn't capable of & willing to gather the same sort of location data...dream on!

The really funny part...at least to me...is this all came to light as a result of the story about the Michigan police using computer forensic tools to scoop up smartphone data by classifying the collection as some kind of innocent search coincidental to a stop.

Completely different issues. Corporations, at their worst, are gathering this kind of data to sell you stupid shit you really don't need. Government, at its worst, is gathering this kind of data to see if your retirement plan should involve an orange jumpsuit along with 3-hots & a cot. The problem, as I see it anyway, is then the objectives of the former make the objectives of the latter that much easier...