we have been here before: to mask or not to mask

• oeb11
  • 07-29-2020, 12:54 PM
Reasonable post above.
Yeah some dumb ass Rep from Texas who was against mask wearing and had not been wearing one now is Covid + and trying to claim he got it from wearing a mask !

I think his name is Gomer (Gohmert) Pyle or something.

He sounded like a dumbo on TV. Sounded ridiculous.
  • oeb11
  • 07-30-2020, 08:33 AM
Those without comprehension always consider reports they are unable to comprehend as " stupid, ridiculous, etc."
LOL
I'm guessing some of you did not see this coming. You know that camel that is crapping and peeing in your tent had such a cute little button nose when it was sniffing under your tent. Normally I would post the link, title and snippet of an article, but the Masters of the Universe are blatantly censoring them now and you won't find it via search most likely, so enjoy the full article.

Anthony Fauci Floats Eye Protection and Masks for Every Flu Season Ever
By John Nolte30 Jul 2020

Dr. Anthony “The Fraud” Fauci is now floating the idea face shields or goggles should be worn, and masks are a good idea during flu season.

“Dr. Anthony Fauci suggested Wednesday that Americans should consider wearing goggles or a face shield in order to prevent spreading or catching COVID-19,” reports the far-left ABC News.

Oh, it gets worse…

“It is inevitable that we’re going to have some degree of flu,” he added. “I’m hoping that the wearing of masks and other coverings are going to not only protect us against COVID-19, but also help protect us against influenza.”

Wow. Things have really changed around here.

Remember when Fraud Fauci said this…

“People should not be walking around with masks,” Fauci told 60 Minutes just a few months ago in the early days of the China Flu outbreak.

“When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better, and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is” he continued. “And often there are unintended consequences: people keep fiddling with their mask and they keep touching their face.”

But, you know, the science is settled ‘n stuff…

And now he’s talking goggles – goggles, y’all, like Dustin Hoffman in Outbreak! — and laying the foundation to stick us in masks for every flu season going forward.

Don’t you dare call me an alarmist.

If you recall, this is exactly how the corporate media, Fauci, and Democrats slow-boiled us frogs into masks. At first, masks were verboten. Only stupid people wear masks. Look at all the scared, anti-science rubes in their masks!

Then the narrative moved to… Well, maybe masks are a good idea.

Now it’s ONLY EVIL, SERIAL-KILLING TRUMPTARDS REFUSE TO WEAR MASKS!!!

So it basically goes like this….

Not necessary.
Not a terrible idea.
Probably a good idea.
A good idea. ß YOU ARE HERE
Ve haff wayzz of making you vear ze gogglz.

Does anyone dare doubt that from this moment forward, we’re going to see all the same media and Deep Science State pressure about masks during every flu season? I mean, why not? If it will save just one life, amiright?

Further, forcing us into masks during every flu season is now an easy case to be made. After all, we’re now all in masks during a corona outbreak where, if you’re under 50, the virus is no more deadly than the flu. So what’s the case for not wearing a mask during flu season?

Listen, out of respect for full disclosure, I was wearing a mask when Fraud Fauci was telling us not to wear masks. I still wear a mask when I’m inside anyplace other than my own home.

It only makes sense that a mask will protect you from a virus. Healthcare workers have been wearing masks for over a century for a reason. I’m not stupid.

But my wife’s health demands such a thing. This thing could easily kill her. If it was just me, I’d be hoping to catch the corona just to get it over with. I’m 54, but I’m in good shape, better shape than most people in their twenties. If you must know, I have an ass like a high school cheerleader.

Nevertheless, what do I care if others refuse to wear a mask when I have mine on?

The Mask Nazis are not only anti-science; they are anti-logic, and anti-American. Worrying about others wearing a mask is like worrying about others wearing a seatbelt or condom. But here we are, turning into a fascist country under the premise of safety.

And here’s Fraud Fauci preparing us to become timid and afraid, preparing us to be scared to leave our home during the sniffle season, preparing us to do anything the government demands for our own good.
Why_Yes_I _Do obviosly did not read the information referenced in my post above and does not understand that the mask he wears does not protect HIM from becoming infected and thereby inadvertently spread it to his SO. It is the "other guys" mask than protects him from the "other guys" infection. Health care workers in infectious situations wear N95 masks or positive pressure PPE that does protect them, but that's a different beast entirely. Its admirable that he cares to protect his at risk wife, but his logic is flawed.
You talking about Jethro Bodine ??

He is a hillybilly. He been out by the Cement Pond smelling and drinking Granny's Rheumatiz medicine.

He is good with figures ; he can cipher his multiplication tables from 1-10.
  • oeb11
  • 07-30-2020, 02:10 PM
Thank You - elistist insulting supercilious DPST sailor Boy/ !

you ar so obviously super ior - no need to vote in Nov - stay home and just watch Biden win.

After all - You won't ever need to vote again with the Marxist progressives in charge - it will be

A New Amerika!!
Apparently Trumps fragile ego has been crushed when he found out Dr Fauci is much more popular than your fearless leader. Trump can’t figure out why, but I could give him quite a few clues as to why we have more faith in the doctor but ZERO trust in Trumpy Attachment 872975
Faucci has been an administrator the vast majority of his career, not a scientist, and is not an expert on public health. Undoubtedly he knows diseases, but is singularly focused. A President has far more factors to take into consideration, and while guys of Fauci discipline are part of the equation, there are many other voices that are involved in making decisions. President Trump’s inclination to go with only doctor’s advice from day one was a mistake that we’ll be living with for quite some time. Obama’s decision to basically ignore a pandemic, end testing and treat the ill was one of the few sound ones he made.
  • Tiny
  • 07-30-2020, 10:36 PM
Again, I'm amazed at the lack of knowledge regarding masks, and again, not going to be baited into political arguments, so please review this thread: https://eccie.net/showthread.php?t=2723812
and this article: https://www.lung.org/blog/covid-masks before you choose to reply, so at least you have read some basic principles regarding their use.

This is a hooker board, so let me equate it to condom use. A condom fairly effectively protects transmission for disease from EITHER party to the others (yes, nothing is 100% in life, but the key word is effective). But, if you have an STD and bareback a provider, you have potentially set up a chain of infection not only to the provider, but to her future clients, or perhaps set yourself up to re-infection should you bb her again after you've been cured. The difference is that ordinary masks ( not N95 masks, which you can distinguish if you read the reference threads) do not EFFECTIVELY protect BOTH parties from being infected. They only protect the infected from transmitting to others,so to finish the analogy, the only safe way to bareback a provider is if you are the ONLY one that barebacks her. I think you can be as equally sure that your bb provider only grants that privilege to you, as you can be that the guy next to you without a mask is not Covid infectious. Yes, I've bb'd before, but its risk/benefit and been thoroughly discussed, but there are two main differences: I've never done that knowing I was infectious (as opposed to Covid parties) and it was consensual where both parties know the risk. Again, not political, just educational and mild preaching about everyone's responsibility to each other. Originally Posted by reddog1951
Forget the mild preaching. You're wasting your time. The majority of people here who aren't wearing masks aren't going to listen. People can't reason for themselves anymore. Instead they take whatever bull shit Hannity or Carlson or Maddow or Lemon throws at them as gospel depending on their political views. And that's what masks have become for some people, a political badge of honor. Wear your scarf when you're outside 50 feet away from the nearest human being and show your support for Biden. Or go attend a Trump rally and leave the mask behind if you're from the other side of the aisle.

I started this thread back when the CDC was recommending against wearing masks:

https://www.eccie.net/showthread.php...ighlight=masks

Starting out this wasn't a hot topic, nobody got pissed off, most thought wearing masks was an idea worth thinking about. I viewed it as one of the steps to take to open America back up so people could start working again and so we wouldn't have to run the national debt up sky high.

Now what's a little bizarre is that the majority of Trump supporters do wear masks, but some minority of them criticize masks to high heaven. Like whoever Why_Yes_I_Do's quoting below. He's been using masks since I have. And he's accusing Fauci of wanting to take away our most hallow sacred rights as Americans because Fauci's telling Americans what he already knows -- masks and goggles can help keep you safe. Fauci's a mother fucking Nazi for offering science based health advice, for doing his job.

I'm guessing some of you did not see this coming. You know that camel that is crapping and peeing in your tent had such a cute little button nose when it was sniffing under your tent. Normally I would post the link, title and snippet of an article, but the Masters of the Universe are blatantly censoring them now and you won't find it via search most likely, so enjoy the full article.

Anthony Fauci Floats Eye Protection and Masks for Every Flu Season Ever
By John Nolte30 Jul 2020

Dr. Anthony “The Fraud” Fauci is now floating the idea face shields or goggles should be worn, and masks are a good idea during flu season.

“Dr. Anthony Fauci suggested Wednesday that Americans should consider wearing goggles or a face shield in order to prevent spreading or catching COVID-19,” reports the far-left ABC News.

Oh, it gets worse…

“It is inevitable that we’re going to have some degree of flu,” he added. “I’m hoping that the wearing of masks and other coverings are going to not only protect us against COVID-19, but also help protect us against influenza.”

Wow. Things have really changed around here.

Remember when Fraud Fauci said this…

“People should not be walking around with masks,” Fauci told 60 Minutes just a few months ago in the early days of the China Flu outbreak.

“When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better, and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is” he continued. “And often there are unintended consequences: people keep fiddling with their mask and they keep touching their face.”

But, you know, the science is settled ‘n stuff…

And now he’s talking goggles – goggles, y’all, like Dustin Hoffman in Outbreak! — and laying the foundation to stick us in masks for every flu season going forward.

Don’t you dare call me an alarmist.

If you recall, this is exactly how the corporate media, Fauci, and Democrats slow-boiled us frogs into masks. At first, masks were verboten. Only stupid people wear masks. Look at all the scared, anti-science rubes in their masks!

Then the narrative moved to… Well, maybe masks are a good idea.

Now it’s ONLY EVIL, SERIAL-KILLING TRUMPTARDS REFUSE TO WEAR MASKS!!!

So it basically goes like this….

Not necessary.
Not a terrible idea.
Probably a good idea.
A good idea. ß YOU ARE HERE
Ve haff wayzz of making you vear ze gogglz.

Does anyone dare doubt that from this moment forward, we’re going to see all the same media and Deep Science State pressure about masks during every flu season? I mean, why not? If it will save just one life, amiright?

Further, forcing us into masks during every flu season is now an easy case to be made. After all, we’re now all in masks during a corona outbreak where, if you’re under 50, the virus is no more deadly than the flu. So what’s the case for not wearing a mask during flu season?

Listen, out of respect for full disclosure, I was wearing a mask when Fraud Fauci was telling us not to wear masks. I still wear a mask when I’m inside anyplace other than my own home.

It only makes sense that a mask will protect you from a virus. Healthcare workers have been wearing masks for over a century for a reason. I’m not stupid.

But my wife’s health demands such a thing. This thing could easily kill her. If it was just me, I’d be hoping to catch the corona just to get it over with. I’m 54, but I’m in good shape, better shape than most people in their twenties. If you must know, I have an ass like a high school cheerleader.

Nevertheless, what do I care if others refuse to wear a mask when I have mine on?

The Mask Nazis are not only anti-science; they are anti-logic, and anti-American. Worrying about others wearing a mask is like worrying about others wearing a seatbelt or condom. But here we are, turning into a fascist country under the premise of safety.

And here’s Fraud Fauci preparing us to become timid and afraid, preparing us to be scared to leave our home during the sniffle season, preparing us to do anything the government demands for our own good. Originally Posted by Why_Yes_I_Do
Congratulations on your ass Mr. Nolte.
You wisely avoid discussing aerosols grasshopper. That opens up the real can of worms in environmental management and engineering - as I expect someone with knowledge of Infectious Control would know. They are the Devil for sure.

As to the loogie, splash, spray and even droplets - they are bad news - up to a certain distance - as you likely well know (scientifically speaking) and are subject to expulsion force, prevailing winds and ye olde gravity. We can talk science if you are of such a mind.

But as to non-political, I find it curious that you proffer what seems to be a political based blog from what I presume to be a science based group.
  • Initially there was a significant shortage of masks for frontline workers, which was why authorities were reluctant to recommend mask wearing to the general public
    • Authorities?!? Like in Masters? Wait? I thought we paid them to work for us?
    • In churchy settings we call that the act of absolution. We only lied to you for our own good. Or we put you at risk so we aren't at risk. Please forgive us as we did not plan ahead.
    • So OK, schtuff happens. Couldn't have said, at least wear a bandana or something, because anything is better than nothing? Which is exactly what the hell they are saying now.
    • Maybe a call for assistance to donate for masks that you forgot to have in supply? Our bad? Something?
  • The coronavirus is primarily transmitted person to person via respiratory spray.
    • Spray? Not splash or droplet or aerosol? Is there a difference?
    • What is spray you say? It has mass and physical properties. Right?
  • While high quality research regarding mask use is limited
    • To be honest, at first I just thought that statement very odd. Then curious why Doctors would just be guessing about this important topic. Like not even curious at least.
    • Then I realized, maybe it's a compliment to we the people, because with only a mild curiosity and a simple search engine I could find several dozens of detailed, scientific and peer reviewed studies that spans decades of research on the topic, including super-studies that reviewed multiple existing studies
    • We aren't even talking about the amount of studies that govern overall engineering and maintenance of environments that are also key here.
  • The gold standard N-95 mask is 95% effective at keeping the wearer free of inhaling viral particles.
    • I'll just call it what it is - balderdash.Even Wikipedia will still tell you the specs of the N95 as filtering inbound only particles down to 3um in size. Though there are multiple, specific, replaceable filters available.
    • Might take awhile before they start issuing the government mandated and easily decoratable versions of full-face covering N95s.
    • I'm guessing you can get replacement filters if you have a high enough social credit score maybe or pay your taxes on time. Otherwise, off to reeducation camp??
  • Mask wearing allows us to open the economy up faster
    • Us?!? Like in Masters? Wait? I thought we paid them to work for us?
    • Just curious; when did shutting down an entire economy become a thing anyway?
    • Was it due in part to bad planning or lack of research on someone's part? Was it dereliction of duty to be unprepared at all or rational to lie to us in the first place?
  • even a 50% reduction in viral transmission is statistically important
    • I am certain this is a best case guestimate scenario, which completely over looks a multitude of factors including badly worn masks, i.e. not over the nose or even mouth and so much more.
    • But as someone here pointed out; wearing a condom is good. Though I have never heard someone make a solid case for wearing half a condom
  • For the general public, the reason for wearing a facial covering is to help protect others from you when you cough, sneeze or even talk and spray viral droplets
    • Coughing, sneezing - a clear no brainer, which you tend to anticipate and can be minimized, just as effectively, in other ways as well
    • Droplets from talking? Really?
    • Viral droplets (which are bound by the laws of physics and gravity etc)? Bit of a stretch or is it another trust me episode there?
  • wearing a mask is showing respect for others
    • Expect to see and hear a whole more of this. It will be in the forms of "See something, say something" or "Protect your Neighbor" or "Protect our Neighbor" of "Fink on your Neighbor" or "Drop a Dime in Time" "Be a good citizen", "Obey". You may hear similar tinges expressed differently, but you will hear this concept become a mantra. Shoot howdy, Orwell made a movie on this very topic
  • If you desire 100% avoidance of infection, the only way to achieve it is to isolate yourself completely. That is not practical or mentally helpful for the vast majority of people.
    • But the lock downs are good and will continue and hey, half a loaf is pretty much almost somewhat as good as a whole loaf, kind sorta?
    • And hey, it you do get sick, we told ya it was maybe 50/50 at best anyway.
  • Mask wearing allows us to open the economy up faster.
    • Theoretically, assuming we allow you to acquire masks and other indeterminate new requirements we may deem necessary
    • Just curious; when did shutting down an entire economy become a thing anyway?
  • Not wearing a mask around others only worsens the pandemic, leads to more disease, and worsens the economic effects.
    • Weird how they left off the tailing "as evidenced by" schtuff
    • Don't make us pull this economy over to the curb again bitches or you will really have something to cry about.
    • Because you might be sick, we assume you are sick? Sure hope the mental health profession doesn't jump on this bandwagon.
    • Will I need to wear a condom if I'm not having sex also?
So it seems curious that the only two recommendations they are able to marshal are wear any sort of mask you can get your grubby hands on or hide your self away. No other helpful hints from Heloise?

I guess I'm just a simple math creature and view it as a simple equation of: In about 100 years since the last major pandemic (see OP); we learned nothing about respiratory viral transmission or mitigation and made no prudent plans or preparations, but trust us - we got this. If not, we'll just shut 'er all down until you do believe us.

Ironic how we went from only bad guys wear masks to only good guys wear masks in the blink of an eye.

Again, I'm amazed at the lack of knowledge regarding masks, and again, not going to be baited into political arguments, so please review this thread: https://eccie.net/showthread.php?t=2723812
and this article: https://www.lung.org/blog/covid-masks before you choose to reply, so at least you have read some basic principles regarding their use.

This is a hooker board, so let me equate it to condom use. A condom fairly effectively protects transmission for disease from EITHER party to the others (yes, nothing is 100% in life, but the key word is effective). But, if you have an STD and bareback a provider, you have potentially set up a chain of infection not only to the provider, but to her future clients, or perhaps set yourself up to re-infection should you bb her again after you've been cured. The difference is that ordinary masks ( not N95 masks, which you can distinguish if you read the reference threads) do not EFFECTIVELY protect BOTH parties from being infected. They only protect the infected from transmitting to others,so to finish the analogy, the only safe way to bareback a provider is if you are the ONLY one that barebacks her. I think you can be as equally sure that your bb provider only grants that privilege to you, as you can be that the guy next to you without a mask is not Covid infectious. Yes, I've bb'd before, but its risk/benefit and been thoroughly discussed, but there are two main differences: I've never done that knowing I was infectious (as opposed to Covid parties) and it was consensual where both parties know the risk. Again, not political, just educational and mild preaching about everyone's responsibility to each other. Originally Posted by reddog1951
Covid-19 all about free Money from the government,.
If your mask is so effective, yours should do just fine for you.

CNBC just reported no new COVID Deaths for Arizona. In fact, they lowered their COVID death count because of double counting.

The panic is real. Originally Posted by gnadfly
That's why it's called a "Pandemic"
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...244267462.html

What did people say about wearing masks in the 1918 pandemic? It sounds familiar

By Charles Duncan

July 21, 2020 11:36 AM

In 1918, an influenza pandemic devastated the world's population

A different pandemic swept across the world a century ago, killing about 60 million people.

Schools and businesses closed, and many cities required people to wear face masks to slow the spread of the devastating influenza outbreak of 1918. And back then, just like today, some people balked at the idea of the government telling them what to do.

Some protested and openly defied local orders as World War I raged in Europe, J. Alexander Navarro, assistant director at the University of Michigan’s Center for the History of Medicine, wrote this month for The Conversation.

About 2,000 members of the so-called Anti-Mask League gathered in San Francisco in 1919 “for a rally denouncing the mask ordinance and proposing ways to defeat it,” Navarro wrote.
Sound familiar?

Face masks have been a political and cultural flash point in the United States as the country struggles to contain the coronavirus pandemic, which has killed more than 140,000 people in the country since March.

In Michigan, some people carried assault rifles into the state Capitol building this spring to protest the governor’s orders, drawing international attention. Similar protests have played out in cities across the country.

During the flu pandemic, which killed 675,000 Americans in 1918 and 1919, “noncompliance and outright defiance quickly became a problem,” Navarro wrote of face-mask mandates. “Many businesses, unwilling to turn away shoppers, wouldn’t bar unmasked customers from their stores. Workers complained that masks were too uncomfortable to wear all day.”

Much like today, some people pleaded for compliance. Headlines from Chicago newspapers in 1919 declared, “Open-face sneezers to be arrested.” “Police raid saloons in war on influenza; Keep church windows open.” “’Nonessential’ crowds barred in epidemic war.”

A New York City typist wears a mask in October 1918. National Archives

In an October 1918 advertisement in the Oakland (California) Tribune, the Red Cross said, “A gauze mask is 99% proof against influenza.”

The ad continued: “Doctors wear them. Those who do not wear them get sick. The man or woman or child who will not wear a mask now is a dangerous slacker.”

A Seattle street car conductor refuses to allow passengers on board who are not wearing masks in 1918. National Archives

The 1918 pandemic started in the spring, but did not raise many alarms until that fall, killing more than 20 million people in a matter of weeks in October and November, according to the National Archives.

“The scale of the disease created mass panic. Churches and schools were closed, while local businesses and services that remained opened struggled with staff shortages. Too frightened to go out in public, people isolated themselves in their homes, leaving the streets nearly empty,” the National Archives said

Seattle police officers in December 1918 wear masks from the Red Cross. National Archives

In late November 1918, The Rocky Mountain News in Denver quoted the city’s mayor as he called for everyone to wear face masks: “The wearer is not only protecting himself, but is protecting others. It is the moral obligation of every person to wear a mask in a street car or in a store.”

Health experts have made similar morality pleas amid coronavirus: If you won’t wear a mask for yourself, do it for others, they say.
“Cloth face coverings are meant to protect other people in case the wearer is unknowingly infected but does not have symptoms,” the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

So how did Denver’s mandate go over 102 years ago? It “was almost totally ignored by the people; in fact, the order was cause of mirth,” according to a report from the Rocky Mountain News at the time.

Charles Duncan

843-626-0301

Charles Duncan covers what’s happening right now across North and South Carolina, from breaking news to fun or interesting stories from across the region. He holds degrees from N.C. State University and Duke and lives two blocks from the ocean in Myrtle Beach. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
Weird how those pictures were taken in Seattle. For this Pandemic Seattle is a shithole.
Weird how those pictures were taken in Seattle. For this Pandemic Seattle is a shithole. Originally Posted by Levianon17

one pic was from new york