Colorado puts 25% excise tax on pot.

• BJerk
  • 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Prohibition created the enormous black market, maybe there will be some in CO, like you said, there is a black market for tobacco and alcohol, but on a percentage basis I suspect it will be extremely low and about the same as tobacco and moonshine is now.

And yes, any CO citizen can grow up to 6 plants at a time, with no tax paid. You have to remember the citizens passed it for a few reasons, yes to ingest, but mainly to stop the imprisonment of it's citizens for a victimless crime, not just to make money and collect taxes from it. And of course, medicine even though it was legal, it was regulated much more than now.

As far as billions to be made, you have to consider the versatility of the plant and it's sister (hemp) which is now legal too, which can be turned into paper and textile products, clothing, rope, food (highest protein of any seed), fuel (yes you can power vehicles from it), building materials (hempcrete and insulation and more), automobile panels and composites, organic weed control products, and the list goes on and on and on. And who knows what the next ingenious idea will be spawned, from it's use, now that scientists and engineers can study it with out fear of going to jail. Wasn't just talking about the recreational strain. But you can imagine all the suppliers needed to grow, cultivate and harvest, manufacture, and sell. It gets pretty staggering, very fast. Originally Posted by nwarounder
I'm not so sure about the value of hemp being so magnificent versus other products. It is not a big secret - think of the Yucatan in Mexico. The non cannabis hemp strains have been used for years with commercial success, such as a linen type fiber and even hempcrete, but it is only a little stronger than wood. Consider it more along the lines of just another crop. Obviously, I like the tax angle. More money for government to help people. If it works, legalize and tax prostitution.
I'm not so sure about the value of hemp being so magnificent versus other products. It is not a big secret - think of the Yucatan in Mexico. The non cannabis hemp strains have been used for years with commercial success, such as a linen type fiber and even hempcrete, but it is only a little stronger than wood. Consider it more along the lines of just another crop. Obviously, I like the tax angle. More money for government to help people. If it works, legalize and tax prostitution. Originally Posted by Bert Jones
Just another crop that 48 other states or forbidden to cultivate = monopolistic opportunities in this man's book. I think the cartels were on to something here, but I could be wrong.

Most, if not all of the taxes are earmarked for schools and education, which I agree, will help their people.

It's truly amazing when the people design a law and pass it, versus the shit laws designed and passed by politicians.
Yes, apparently there will be 25% tax now... however, paying 25% tax on $50, and the convenience of walking in and picking out what you want beats going to the back alley and paying $100 for something you're not so sure about and possible LE harassment. You get the picture.
It's truly amazing when the people design a law and pass it, versus the shit laws designed and passed by politicians. Originally Posted by nwarounder
Not so fast.

Prohibition was a law designed by "the people". Look how well that worked out.

And ballot referenda in California (like Prop. 13) have had decidedly mixed results.

The much-vaunted "people" produce a lot of shit themselves.
25%?!?!?!

That really harshes my mellow.
Not so fast.

Prohibition was a law designed by "the people". Look how well that worked out.

And ballot referenda in California (like Prop. 13) have had decidedly mixed results.

The much-vaunted "people" produce a lot of shit themselves. Originally Posted by ExNYer
It's your post, but I'll not stray far from the topic.

I'll amend:

This law, designed by the people, for the people, and passed by the people, is truly amazing compared to the shit law designed by Richard Nixon's Attorney General, and passed by a bunch of fucking politicians and signed into law by an impeached president.
25%

That really harshes my mellow. Originally Posted by gnadfly
It'll be cheaper than a pack of cigs soon, you won't even think about that 25%
It's your post, but I'll not stray far from the topic.

I'll amend:

This law, designed by the people, for the people, and passed by the people, is truly amazing compared to the shit law designed by Richard Nixon's Attorney General, and passed by a bunch of fucking politicians and signed into law by an impeached president. Originally Posted by nwarounder
True dat.

But I wouldn't lay all the blame on poor old Tricky Dick.

A LOT of Congresses and Presidents in the last 40 years had plenty of opportunities to end the stupid War On Drugs.

They didn't.

Even Obama has been a hypocrite. He has been enforcing the pot laws and gritting his teeth over Colorado, even though he himself was a stoner when he was young.
Yep typical government. Try to do something that is right and then turn a round and fuck it up.
Governments love to tax "vice" in much heavier amounts than other things.
Excise taxes are generally hidden to the purchaser so that they are soon forgotten by the masses and are much easier to increase without complaint. Cigarettes, tobacco products, and alcohol as well as fuel are classic examples.

I think I would just grow my own.
True dat.

But I wouldn't lay all the blame on poor old Tricky Dick.

A LOT of Congresses and Presidents in the last 40 years had plenty of opportunities to end the stupid War On Drugs.

They didn't...
Originally Posted by ExNYer
You could say the same thing about Social Security and a number of other sacred cow programs too.
So we have the old "we gave them the molasses, now they get the sulphur" thing going on here.

Hooray. Pot is being legalized. No more risks, no more hassles from "the man". That is the molasses.

And now the Government will get you hooked, and then tax the shit out of what you are hooked on.

Ya gotta love it.
The logic that the Government "will get you hooked" on pot is just staggering . . . or a sign of smoking the bad stuff. LOL
Obviously, I like the tax angle. More money for government to help people. Originally Posted by Bert Jones
That's a huge leap, 'to help people.' More money to government officials, and the friends they hire.
Another thing that I don't quite get about the whole pot thing.

Just about every major industry requires that employs pass some type of drug test as a requirement for employment.

Will the State Governments now have to pass laws mandating that Companies ignore that part of the drug testing? It's not like booze that gets out of your system after a couple of days.

Just sayin..........
  • CJ7
  • 11-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Yes, apparently there will be 25% tax now... however, paying 25% tax on $50, and the convenience of walking in and picking out what you want beats going to the back alley and paying $100 for something you're not so sure about and possible LE harassment. You get the picture. Originally Posted by Holly Love

please forgive the rightwing simpletons .. any mention of TAX short circuits their tiny little brain ..

per your scenario, you save $35, get exactly what you want for your money, and lose any risk of breaking the law and getting busted ..

logic that deep is waaaaaaaaaaaay too complicated for inbred morons ... tax harshes their mellow.