What are you reading?

• Binx
  • 08-03-2014, 03:32 PM
i too am reading three books

God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the World--and Why Their Differences Matter, by Stephen R. Prothero

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire #2) by George R.R. Martin, - i like the show and started reading it like a lot of folks have done i'm sure.

Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #1) by Dan Simmons - i do like scifi

i thought about putting up my goodreads profile but then everyone could find out who i am. don't want that. Originally Posted by lyn.xes
Recently read two of Dan Simmons books, The Terror and Song of Kali. Very strong writer. Kali is a strong book that I'd recommend to anyone who appreciates good writing and doesn't mind horror themes. The Terror is literary horror in a historical setting that I think most fans of Stephen King would really enjoy. In fact, I imagine that Simmons is the kind of writer that Stephen King admires. I've been meaning to get to Hyperion to see what he does in the Scifi genre.
I am locating taint photos. Originally Posted by pyramider
I'm waiting on my next edition of Taint Illustrated.
  • TheDr
  • 08-03-2014, 05:46 PM
"Influence" by Robert B. Cialdini
Cormac's books tend to stick to your soul. I'm just finishing "The Son" by Phillip Meyer.
Hey, I'm a NERD!!

I'm usually juggling 3-4 books at once on my Kindle for Ipad and read whichever I feel like at the moment.

My current line-up is:

Nonfiction
"The Myth of the Rational Market: A History of Risk, Reward, and Delusion on Wall Street" by Justin Fox

"The New Search for the Perfect Golf Club" by Tom Wishon

"Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman

Fiction
"Never Go Back: A Jack Reacher Novel" by Lee Child
On the Road, Kerouac
Recently finished a reread of Ready, Player One by Ernest Cline, which is always a great read if you're a child of the 80's/90's.

I attempted to do a reread of The Hobbit, but just couldn't handle all the pages singing so I gave up again.
The bible... Just can't get enough of that shit.
Heh...love my heathen wife...
I attempted to do a reread of The Hobbit, but just couldn't handle all the pages singing so I gave up again. Originally Posted by jbravo_123
That just means you didn't get far enough for the homoerotic dwarf-hobbit bath scenes. I kid you not.

People who've only watched the movies have no idea what's tucked away in that series.
The Complete Idiots Guide to: Pleasing Your Sex Partner

Can't seem to get pass the dedication page.
I just read (finally!) Kushiel's Dart, by Jacqueline Carey. I was very impressed, enough that I'll keep an eye open at the library and try to get the next book in order.

I also read Home Fires by Gene Wolfe. Gene's on the literary edges of science fiction, and the book's a bit of a strange read.

I found a couple of Nero Wolfe mysteries at Half-Price Books for my last trip, which was nice. And I read Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series).

I still find it incredibly amusing that the library has a section label for "Paranormal Romance".

I may try to read Wolf Hall next. I've started that book twice so far.
That just means you didn't get far enough for the homoerotic dwarf-hobbit bath scenes. I kid you not.

People who've only watched the movies have no idea what's tucked away in that series. Originally Posted by Balderfiddle
Seriously. The LoTR series and the Hobbit are books where I actually like the movies considerably more than the books.