TSA A JOKE

• mietk
  • 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I travel frequently too.

If we want to take our lead from anywhere, we should copy Israel, or do nothing at all.

TSA employees are those that used to be hotel housekeepers IMHO. They stepped up to TSA while the undocumented immigrants took over their jobs at the hotels. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I totally agree. Many international airports I have travel through make Hobby seem like a daycare.

Honestly, PROFILING is an effective method of detering and catching terrorists but god forbid we can't do that. I don't remember where I was, maybe Malaysia. I had a biz class ticket or orchid or something that allowed me to bypass the hours wait at security but I was questioned by no less than 7 different agents. Most questions were basic- name, age, home, destination, purpose of visit, etc. but they all asked essentially the same questions except the last two agents. They focused around where I had been, my religion and if I'd been to any religous destinations.

If we, as Americans, can't use all the tools in our bag then we are fucking ourselves.
The Clear Program
Originally Posted by Ansley
Yeah!!!
The Clear Program
Even as a frequent traveler, I have been against such programs from the very beginning. As a matter of fact, I am against all programs that would conceivably give someone, anyone, a shortcut around screening (and we on this Board know how important screening is, don't we).

As incompetent as TSA is (and I think of them as extremely incompetent), it is much worse to created a tiered screening system in which some have superior rights to others.

I really don't care about the biometric aspect of anything. Creating such an opportunity only invites the terrorist to try it. Even airline crews have to go through our current screening. They get shorter lines, but last Friday, I stood behind a flight attendant who took her shoes off, just as I did.
Even as a frequent traveler, I have been against such programs from the very beginning. As a matter of fact, I am against all programs that would conceivably give someone, anyone, a shortcut around screening (and we on this Board know how important screening is, don't we).

As incompetent as TSA is (and I think of them as extremely incompetent), it is much worse to created a tiered screening system in which some have superior rights to others.

I really don't care about the biometric aspect of anything. Creating such an opportunity only invites the terrorist to try it. Even airline crews have to go through our current screening. They get shorter lines, but last Friday, I stood behind a flight attendant who took her shoes off, just as I did. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
CT, I know how you hate to let facts get in the way of a good rant, but Clear passengers went through the same x-ray procedures and scanners you did. They just has shorter lines like the flight crews. In fact, they used to test new scanning machines on us.
Even airline crews have to go through our current screening. They get shorter lines, but last Friday, I stood behind a flight attendant who took her shoes off, just as I did. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
As they should have to go through security. They aren't special. I mean no disrespect to the airline crews. I just wanted to point out that they are ordinary people like the rest of us.

Everybody seems so concerned about passengers being the only safety risk. What about the employees of the airports?
I mean no disrespect to the airline crews. I just wanted to point out that they are ordinary people like the rest of us.
i knew an unordinary stewardess (flight attendant) once
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
CT, I know how you hate to let facts get in the way of a good rant, but Clear passengers went through the same x-ray procedures and scanners you did. They just has shorter lines like the flight crews. In fact, they used to test new scanning machines on us. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Not going to argue with you about this (I know you're disappointed). I'll just ask the questions: in order to get into the program, did you have to "pre-screen?" If so, then whenever you went through the Clear Program line what was different there than the regular line? OK, PJ, how does it feel to have a Clear preference over the rest of us peon travelers?

BTW, the system I really like is the one that exists in a few airports that you self-identify as a frequent traveler or a "novice" (for lack a a better word). The frequent traveler line works well for me.

As they should have to go through security. They aren't special. I mean no disrespect to the airline crews. I just wanted to point out that they are ordinary people like the rest of us.

Everybody seems so concerned about passengers being the only safety risk. What about the employees of the airports? Originally Posted by Ansley
I've always thought airport employees are the biggest threat. Earlier this year, I stood in the Orlando airport, and watched employees walk right past security showing only their ID badges. No bags were searched, no backpacks were searched, no lunch pails were searched. Amazing!
Yeah!!! Originally Posted by pjorourke
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Originally Posted by discreetgent
I knew you two would be thrilled with this news. I wonder if RK will get a kick out of it too?
I knew you two would be thrilled with this news. I wonder if RK will get a kick out of it too? Originally Posted by Ansley
Security?...Lines?...What security?...What lines?

Just get on and go. CT gets his panties in a wad that other's get in a short line. Wait til he finds out about the "Secret Door".
I'll just ask the questions: in order to get into the program, did you have to "pre-screen?" If so, then whenever you went through the Clear Program line what was different there than the regular line? Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Yes, they ran a background check, took my finger prints and a retinal scan. To give you an idea how stupid TSA is, I once went through the scanner where they compared my print to the one on record. After the machine bio-metrically matched my to my identity, some nimrod TSA agent had to check my 20 year old picture in a drivers license to verify my identity.
Security?...Lines?...What security?...What lines?

Just get on and go. CT gets his panties in a wad that other's get in a short line. Wait til he finds out about the "Secret Door". Originally Posted by Rudyard K
#$%^ you!
my 20 year old picture in a drivers license to verify my identity. Originally Posted by pjorourke
FL's DLs don't expire even after 20 years? Must be all the retired folks in FL that got that law passed so they would look 45, and not 65 on the DL.
Not going to argue with you about this (I know you're disappointed). I'll just ask the questions: in order to get into the program, did you have to "pre-screen?" If so, then whenever you went through the Clear Program line what was different there than the regular line? OK, PJ, how does it feel to have a Clear preference over the rest of us peon travelers?

BTW, the system I really like is the one that exists in a few airports that you self-identify as a frequent traveler or a "novice" (for lack a a better word). The frequent traveler line works well for me.

I've always thought airport employees are the biggest threat. Earlier this year, I stood in the Orlando airport, and watched employees walk right past security showing only their ID badges. No bags were searched, no backpacks were searched, no lunch pails were searched. Amazing! Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I don't have a problem with Clear or whatever it will be called going forward. I view it kind of like toll roads. I don't have to take them and I have other options but they are usuallly faster, so I'll pay the toll.

The self identify "frequent traveler" lines crack me up too. That said most of the airports I've seen them in are small and neither line is real long anyway.

In fact, with some exceptions (like trying to get out of Vegas on a Sunday), I've found most lines to be not too bad vs. 5-8 years ago.

As for threats, I tend to agree with you Toots. Not necessarily airline employees but airport employees, in particular ones that handle moving provisions into the terminal (Welcome to Chili's,etc.).