Suggetion ?

ST -

A couple of my favorite hotels are Le Pavillon on Poydras St., within walking distance (approximately 4 blocks) to the Superdome, and the recently opened Roosevelt (it used to be the Fairmont pre-Katrina). Both are older hotel buildings, but extremely well maintained. Try Priceline or Bookit for reduced rates (~$100) at each. As mentioned, the JW Marriott on Canal St is nice, as is the W. As a purely personal preference, I don't care for the decor in the W - it's modern / trendy, lots of glass, chrome, ebony, etc. but to each his own

A couple of great places to eat: as mentioned above, the Palace Cafe on Canal; Mister B's Bistro on Royal St. is very good, as is G.W. Fins on Iberville, I believe. The Blue Room at the Roosevelt has an absolutely outrageous jazz brunch on Sunday morning - I think it's $85 / person, but it is truly an amazing meal. Also, the restaurant in Le Pavillon is very good.

Hope this helps. Have fun.
[QUOTE=Jacquie;60273] ...But, I love, love, love The Royal Cafe. Oh, [QUOTE] Seems like its closed now.

Looks like 1 of 3 hotels 1.) bookit.com ? hotel <Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-I think I'll try elsewhere> 2.) Drury Inn & Suites or 3.) Le Pavillon Hotel
duplicate post/edit
The roosevelt was just completed recently. The rooms are beautiful. If you have transportation or willing to take the canal streetcar Cafe Masparos serves some of the best local food in the City and is cheap plus since Katrina the decor is nice. Upscale you might want to try commanders palace one of the best in the country. Its off of St Charles. any of Susan Spicer's places will serve great food.. If you want a dump with cheap good steak and Lobster try Star steak and lobster next door to house of blues. Lets hope you can defrost her thighs with one of these selections.
That's too much Tigerfan, I could have wrote that too. Except for spending 1K on the weekend, I know better than to blow that kind of money on my wife.
New Orleans has a huge number of really great little bistros and such that are very reasonable.

Uptown is one area mostly frequented by locals. a few of my all-time favorites - mostly UTR:

La Crepe Nanou - french-style bistro
Ciro's Cote Sud - french-style bistro
Brigtsen's - Frank Brigtsen is protege of Paul Prudhomme
Jacque Imo's - Creole / fusion
Clancy's - Creole
Mat & Naddies - New Orleans style
Dick & Jennies - Brennan's / Commander's Palace trained
Dante's Kitchen - New Orleans Original
Refuel - Eclectic with a Spanish flavor (sometimes)
Maple St. Cafe - creole with continental & eastern flavor
Vincents - Italian
Superior Grill - Southwestern
Lebanon's Cafe - middle eastern

Best po-boy sandwiches on the planet can be had at Crabby Jack's. Soft shell, oyster, fergie not to be missed. Also cochon-de-lait and rabbit.

All of these are reasonably priced for the quality and service.