More than the concept of karma, I believe in the power of living life true to one's heart and intentions. That is, simply performing acts with the purpose of "getting good stuff back" as a result won't work. God, a higher power, the universe...whatever it is one believes in knows one's true intentions. By living true to one's intentions, s/he will naturally attract like-minded beings into her life, which could then reinforce the illusion of karma to that person.
I am in line with SydneyB's thinking. We create the drama or lack of drama around us.

I think some of the worst kinds of people get away with their horrible actions because in their minds they can do no wrong and they actually believe they are justified in hurting others. But, for most of us when we do wrong we feel guilty and unconsciously our actions play out and we reap what we sow. It is almost like we are punishing ourselves.

In response to what Becky said, "I do not believe in karma, because as others have already pointed out you will often see terrible things happen to good people.I do believe that if a person continues to mess with others they will eventually screw over the wrong one , and finally only then you will see some pay back time."

It makes me think of O.J. Simpson. How horrible it must have been for Ron Goldman's dad to see O.J. get away with murdering his son. And a little gratifying to watch O.J. go to jail for his more resent crime. O.J. eventually got caught and punished because he continued to mess with others.
Do you believe in it?
If you do, what does it really mean to you. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
What is Karma?

Does karma truly exist?
What is Karma?

Does karma truly exist? Originally Posted by NicholetteM
Are you correcting me?
Are you correcting me? Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
What's there to correct?
Just trying to broaden my perspective, that's all.
More than the concept of karma, I believe in the power of living life true to one's heart and intentions. That is, simply performing acts with the purpose of "getting good stuff back" as a result won't work. God, a higher power, the universe...whatever it is one believes in knows one's true intentions. By living true to one's intentions, s/he will naturally attract like-minded beings into her life, which could then reinforce the illusion of karma to that person. Originally Posted by LynetteMarie
Yes, it is true that when you attempt to live your life in an ethical way the peace that you feel within is in its own way the best reward.

Edit ...Wow Lynette I just noticed I love your new avatar pic.very beautiful

It makes me think of O.J. Simpson. How horrible it must have been for Ron Goldman's dad to see O.J. get away with murdering his son. And a little gratifying to watch O.J. go to jail for his more resent crime. O.J. eventually got caught and punished because he continued to mess with others. Originally Posted by Nicolette Bordeauxva
That poor family , Oj's punishment came way too late.I only hope that they are finally able to feel some peace now.
What's there to correct?
Just trying to broaden my perspective, that's all. Originally Posted by NicholetteM
I thought I made an error in grammar. A guy has to watch out around here. .
  • Eliza
  • 01-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure if I believe in it or not (although I do throw the word around light-heartedly occasionally), but I do believe this: the more often you play with fire, the greater the probability of getting burned.
More than the concept of karma, I believe in the power of living life true to one's heart and intentions. That is, simply performing acts with the purpose of "getting good stuff back" as a result won't work. God, a higher power, the universe...whatever it is one believes in knows one's true intentions. By living true to one's intentions, s/he will naturally attract like-minded beings into her life, which could then reinforce the illusion of karma to that person. Originally Posted by LynetteMarie
so was that a yes or no?
I believe in Karma but think one needs to take a very long and broad view. Your deeds may not come back to you in your lifetime (or even your loved ones). And....all the good acts in the world may not be recognized while you can see it. Think of it at the World's longest blackjack game.....some people can live a lifetime hot & some cold. But yes, there is Karma or something similar.
Karma is an energy... thus an action and the consequences of that action. Every action generates a karmic re-action, there is no denying this fact.

Everyone pays their karmic debts... unconsciously of course, sometimes there's a lot of suffering involved but all in all The Laws of Karma says.... no debt in the Universe ever goes unpaid.

Is this Karmic energy transmutable... yes of course it is. You can transcend the seeds of your karmic actions by becoming independent of it, separating the mind of the Ego from the mind of the soul.

Transcending Karma is by going inside "the self"... into the silence... then coming out again.
Remind me not to piss off Olivia. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Okay: Don't PO Olivia.

Now if she would just turn up the "white level" on her avatar.
I asked if we could have a "Life and Philosophy" Board here on this site because I love these kinds of topics, it's what I teach. I also asked if I could moderate it so please put in a good word for me.
I asked if we could have a "Life and Philosophy" Board here on this site because I love these kinds of topics, it's what I teach. I also asked if I could moderate it so please put in a good word for me. Originally Posted by Exotic Lily
up or down I trust your suggestion will be dealt with more promptly than the place we came from....