Lawn Darts Are Dangerous

What about lever action? See, now you've lost all credibility as our resident firearms expert. Lol Originally Posted by Rooter
It's covered under Bolt Action where you have to use a bolt or lever to eject and install the next round.

Next

Oh ! Drugs aren't covered in the 2nd Amendment.
That really is a moronic argument that comes up every time. Heroin never killed anyone on its own, so why not just legalize it?

288 school shootings and nothing gets done. Nothing but "thoughts and prayers". You don't have to solve everything overnight, but how about just admitting there might actually be a problem?

Maybe start by just raising the age to buy a gun to 21? That's not going to put any restrictions on your "rights". How does it make sense that 18-21 year olds can't buy a beer but they can buy an assault rifle and go shoot up a school? Originally Posted by nudder

Yes there is an absolute problem & that is too many have zero respect for human life anymore.
All liberals want to make excuses for the criminal who commits these crimes instead of locking their ass up & making them serve the sentence they receive for the crime & in many cases you seeing them not even prosecuted for the crime.

Back on topic lawn jarts should be available & parents should supervise their children
It's covered under Bolt Action where you have to use a bolt or lever to eject and install the next round.

Next

Oh ! Drugs aren't covered in the 2nd Amendment. Originally Posted by Cherokeechief

There are a lot of legalized activities that aren't covered by the second amendment, so I'm not sure what your point is there.
Not an argument for or against, just a question, so please don't jump on my ass ...

The shootings recently (and any shooting in history) are a national tragedy for sure.

Why are so many people so freaked out about "assault" rifles?
Is it the function(how it works) of the actual rifle?
Is it the magazine capacity?
Is it that it looks more menacing (All black and military looking)than a more "traditional" hunting rifle or shotgun (wooden stock)?
Is there "good" guns and "bad" guns?

Thanks Originally Posted by GopherMN
Good point. I know I was kind of teasing Cherokeechief when he made this point too. It probably just stems from people who have never shot these guns or even understand how they work.
You can buy larger capacity magazines and synthetic stocks for a ruger 10/22, they are semiautomatic too. No one thinks they are a assault rifle. Of course the term "assault rifle " is very arbitrary.
The problem lies when these things become "politicized ". And the anti-gun side is not the only one to turn a blind eye to their inconsistencies. You don't have to spend much time around people who obsessed with them to see that. No good answers but that doesn't mean either side should make excuses.
https://patriotpost.us/articles/8873...JKtg2wE0rOThKA

One problem is our Government would be and is getting tyrannical.
Big problem is the Media giving it so much attention so wacko's think they'll be famous and get attention.
These people with a mental problem believe they will be immortalized and to them it helps rationalize their action.

I do believe if you buy a hand gun you should have to take a class first.
I'm CC and the class was very good especially for beginners.

Let's just cut to it and say, If you are Bat Shit Crazy You Should NOT OWN a DAMN GUN.

Get them the mental help they need. You can usually tell when someone is FUCKED UP in the head.

nudder, I really think they should legalize drugs because it would help cull the herd. I don't think drugs were a big problem in 1779.

Do You ?
You make valid points about the Government Cherokee. I am not a conspiracy nut-job, although I do know a few people who are.

I own several guns, many have never been fired, nor do I carry them. I personally don't feel the need, but I don't want to lose the privilege to carry if I do feel the need.

I wish that we could find some common ground on this and many of the issues that plague America as we know it. Unfortunately, we as citizens need to stop looking to politicians to fix things on their own, as they do not have any of our best interests at heart.

After these shootings it is always the same narrative about banning the evil gun. If that is the answer, what do we do with the automobile when a drunk driver crashes and kills innocent people? Ban them and make people ride a bus or horse? What about the alcohol manufacture who's product the drunk was impaired with. Do they also have fault? Look at the site you are on right now. The government wants to paint the "hobby" as a bunch of evil men participating in "trafficking" of vulnerable women. Is this how you see yourselves as well? Is every provider you have seen fit the narrative that the media portrays?

Until people in our society start taking some personal responsibility for their actions we will just keep sliding down the slippery slope.
The assault rifles are a semi automatic rifle which functions the same as a semi auto hunting rifle. I have both and the reason of buying the assault rifle was just the neat appearance.
The only real difference other then appearance is you can customize these with banana clips, barrel mounted lights and bump stocks and other gear.
But it is apparent in many of these shootings it is the gun the shooter uses. It seems that when they plan these horrible acts they seek these rifles out.
I have probably 10 pistols and 8 rifles including the assault rifle. If they ban the assault rifle I wouldn’t have a problem and if I had to turn it in , I would.
It is just a toy to me.
If it helps I am on board.
The assault rifles are a semi automatic rifle which functions the same as a semi auto hunting rifle. I have both and the reason of buying the assault rifle was just the neat appearance.
The only real difference other then appearance is you can customize these with banana clips, barrel mounted lights and bump stocks and other gear.
But it is apparent in many of these shootings it is the gun the shooter uses. It seems that when they plan these horrible acts they seek these rifles out.
I have probably 10 pistols and 8 rifles including the assault rifle. If they ban the assault rifle I wouldn’t have a problem and if I had to turn it in , I would.
It is just a toy to me.
If it helps I am on board. Originally Posted by grinin22
"The appearance is neat." Thank you for saying this...
Some how, some where, the "Assault Rifle" became "Glamorized" into something more than it is. A simple rifle with a '"cool look".Hollywood and video games by chance? It maybe a great place to start if we want to start holding gun and ammo companies accountable for the shootings.

For what it is worth, I would disagree with you on any of them being just a toy.
What a can of worm
Who would A thunk it? lol

"There is no such thing as an assault rifle. Check it out."

Assault rifle Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Definition of assault rifle

: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire

also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

Why does anyone need one?
Hunting? For what?? there are far better choices out there.
Deer are routinely killed with a bow and arrow. Do we need to declare war on the herd?
As Ron White said "Hell I got one with a mini van"

Self protection? I don't think so. A shotgun is far better for self protection than an assault rifle. You don't need to be a great marksman, just point and pull the trigger.

Even the noise is enough to scare the bejesus out of anyone standing on the business end of one.

It's my right!!!! I am sick of people hiding behind the second amendment.

Times change, people change, the world has changed.
I'm sure our forefathers had no idea of how destructive weapons would become or what
gruesome and despicable acts would be carried out with them.
I think the constitution that you all want to wave in everyone's face is the same
document that once told us we couldn't drink alcohol. How did that work out??

Possible reasons why someone needs an assault rifle
To compensate for inadequate anatomy?
To compensate for a feeling of inadequacy? I feel this is the motivation behind school shooters

For the same reason some old men drive sports cars?
For the same reason bikers need loud pipes.
All just reasons for someone to say "Hey, look at me ain't I great", NO
Yes sir, a complete can of worms. But, isn't that what most of the problem is?

Times have changed, people have most definitely changed. The world is changing daily.
Can you imagine what the world would be like tomorrow if we would rid it of ALL of the things that WE don't need. Guns, Auto's, Airplanes, Fast Food, Alcohol, Drugs, Universities, Sports Cars, Loud Pipes, Men's Tennis, Fire Works, Baseball Mats, Pie, Big Screen TV's, Television shows for that matter, Movies, feel free to add to the list. It's your right.
Yes sir, a complete can of worms. But, isn't that what most of the problem is?

Times have changed, people have most definitely changed. The world is changing daily.
Can you imagine what the world would be like tomorrow if we would rid it of ALL of the things that WE don't need. Guns, Auto's, Airplanes, Fast Food, Alcohol, Drugs, Universities, Sports Cars, Loud Pipes, Men's Tennis, Fire Works, Baseball Mats, Pie, Big Screen TV's, Television shows for that matter, Movies, feel free to add to the list. It's your right. Originally Posted by GopherMN

So ridicules and off point that no further reply is necessary.
Maybe a little over the top,(not necessarily ridiculous ) but not really off point.

I respect you for having an opinion that a certain type of gun needs to be banned. I don't necessarily share that same opinion. (I do not own an "assault rifle" at the current time)

None of the guns that I do own are a threat or danger to anyone. So I am puzzled by the need to get rid of something that some people deem as the root of a problem. By that logic we should have kept the airlines grounded after 9/11 or trucks banished and dismantled after the attack in France.

Yes we need better background checks to help root out potential problems, but how in todays all-inclusive society do you pick and choose how this should work? Are all mentally ill people going to go on a shooting rampage? It seems you would like to paint with a very large brush. Are you aware that 52 people were shot in the city last weekend and 9 fatally? A friend I have lives there and is a legal gun owner, do you think he would like to give up his gun? (I know for a fact he did not shoot anyone, as he was with me in Minneapolis)
What a can of worm
Who would A thunk it? lol

"There is no such thing as an assault rifle. Check it out."

Assault rifle Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Definition of assault rifle

: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire

also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

Why does anyone need one?
Hunting? For what?? there are far better choices out there.
Deer are routinely killed with a bow and arrow. Do we need to declare war on the herd?
As Ron White said "Hell I got one with a mini van"

Self protection? I don't think so. A shotgun is far better for self protection than an assault rifle. You don't need to be a great marksman, just point and pull the trigger.

Even the noise is enough to scare the bejesus out of anyone standing on the business end of one.

It's my right!!!! I am sick of people hiding behind the second amendment.

Times change, people change, the world has changed.
I'm sure our forefathers had no idea of how destructive weapons would become or what
gruesome and despicable acts would be carried out with them.
I think the constitution that you all want to wave in everyone's face is the same
document that once told us we couldn't drink alcohol. How did that work out??

Possible reasons why someone needs an assault rifle
To compensate for inadequate anatomy?
To compensate for a feeling of inadequacy? I feel this is the motivation behind school shooters

For the same reason some old men drive sports cars?
For the same reason bikers need loud pipes.
All just reasons for someone to say "Hey, look at me ain't I great", NO Originally Posted by grayturner
I do agree with quite a bit with what your saying. 100% about the motivation behind a lot of people that are obsessed with guns. They love the power it gives them. Its just like a big "toy" to some.
And I've always felt the hunting thing was mostly just a excuse too. There are lots of people that do hunt, for food. But the vast majority that do spend more money on all the trinkets to do it and drive miles away to sit in a tree stand. Then lake it to processing place and spend more. They spend enough to buy 5 times the food that they get. It's just a excuse to blow the shit outta something. They should just say I want to blow the shit outta something and not use hunting as the excuse.
Of course, it should be common sense the less guns you have out there you are going to probably have less shootings. Just look at the accidental shooting in the military.

But....

Did you really read the second definition of assault rifle listed. Resembles a military rifle. Again Resembles a military rifle. What kind of criteria is that to ban something? I really think this way of thinking comes from people who don't know what these rifles do. Is it just it being clip fed? If so they should say that. I hope to hell it's not just the look of the stock and grip because if that is what constitutes assault rifle that's ridiculous. And you can buy a semiautomatic shotgun by the way. It's perfectly legal.... with a synthetic stock... and pistol grips... is it a assault rifle. It fits the definition it looks like one.
The truth is no one knows the exact impact any gun ban would have on shooting like this. I personally think we would still have them. It might be different like a old bolt action atop the conservatory over the grassy knoll.
I personally think arming teachers is dumb and we will have more accidental shootings that way than we do now.
But I'd we are going to move forward I think we have to look at both sides and nit just think the other side is wrong regardless of what we think.