Where is the Best Kansas City BBQ?

How can you not take the word of a Kenyan born president of the US?

Joe's is my choice. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Given you believe Obama was Kenyan born, I wouldn't trust your opinion on BBQ!
Funny how the president is brought up while talking about BBQ.
Q39 is competition quality. Because they buy choice meat and take the time to marinade and slow smoke, their plates are more expensive and less food. KC Joe's has the best ribs (always won ribs in local cook offs before they went into business). the best brisket is LC's, but they have problems with the health code and you prolly don't want to go there after dark. Best burnt ends I have had were at JackStack. Lots of people have never heard of wood yard, they are pretty close to downtown and have gr8 que. You can also buy any kind of wood there for your home smoker
Gates spends more effort chasing publicity nationwide than they do at making good food.

For example, you could not prove in court that Gates' sauce is not in fact just ketchup with a toxic amount of salt in it.
Agree with zeejoe on Gates sauce.

Last time I ate at Gates (one on Main St in midtown), the entire dining experience was mediocre at best.

I've never eaten at Q39, but I've heard so many rave reviews that I'll be trying it soon.
Rocket you don't know what you are missing . Q39 is great eats and a great atmosphere .
Q39 is good. SLAPs bbq at 6th and central isn't bad either
Many good suggestions here. Jack Stack and Joe's are my favorites. There are a lot of good places in KC, but skip LC's.
Woodyard.

RJ's Shack?

Ployboy"s?

Back Porch BBQ?

any others that should be mentioned?
My back deck.
I am going for Joe's or Jack Stacks depending on what part of town I happen to be in. Gates is over rated.