RARE: Eva Braun's Private Photos

Thanks for sharing, Charles. It's nice to see a human side of such tragedy. Enjoying the other posts as well. I have always had a fascination with the whole Nazi thing-I remember being so disturbed by NIGHT when I was in 8th grade-because I just can't imagine how such evil exists. I say that in the present tense-it still goes on. The other side of the Light. What a shame so many have to suffer from it.
He was rejected by the Vienna School of Art when he was younger--I remember somebody, somewhere, telling me that his application was reviewed by a Jew.
I have always had a fascination with the whole Nazi thing-I remember being so disturbed by NIGHT when I was in 8th grade-because I just can't imagine how such evil exists. Originally Posted by ClairJordan
For those not familiar with Night:
Night is a work by Elie Wiesel about his experience with his father, Shlomo, in the Nazi German concentration camps at Auschwitz and Buchenwald in 1944–1945, at the height of the Holocaust and toward the end of the Second World War. In just over 100 pages of sparse and fragmented narrative, described as devastating in its simplicity, Wiesel writes about the death of God and his own increasing disgust with humanity, reflected in the inversion of the father-child relationship as Shlomo declines to a helpless state and Wiesel becomes his resentful teenage caregiver. "If only I could get rid of this dead weight ... Immediately I felt ashamed of myself, ashamed forever." In Night, everything is inverted, every value destroyed. "Here there are no fathers, no brothers, no friends," a Kapo tells him. "Everyone lives and dies for himself alone."[1]

In 1960, Arthur Wang of Hill & Wang—who Wiesel writes "believed in literature as others believe in God"[40]—agreed to pay a $100 pro-forma advance, and published a 116-page English edition in the U.S. in September that year as Night, translated by Stella Rodway of McGibbon & Kee.[41] Wiesel was at the time working as a United Nations correspondent for Israeli newspapers and for the Jewish Daily Forward in New York. It took three years to sell the first print run of 3,000 copies. The book sold 1,046 copies over the next 18 months, at $3 a copy, but it attracted interest from reviewers, leading to television interviews with Wiesel and meetings with literary figures like Saul Bellow.[42] By 1997, it was selling 300,000 copies a year in the United States.[43] On January 16, 2006, Oprah Winfrey chose Night for Oprah's Book Club; one million extra paperback and 150,000 hardcover copies were printed carrying the book club's logo, with a new translation by Wiesel's wife, Marion, and a new preface by Wiesel.[44] By February 13, 2006, it was no. 1 in The New York Times bestseller list for paperback non-fiction, and by March 2006 had sold six million copies in the U.S. alone, and had been translated into 30 languages.[45]
Might I recommend a couple of documentary films:

Memory of the Camps by PBS (2005)
Night and Fog by Alain Resnais (1956)
Hey Charles, thank you. Much appreciated added info.
But Whhhheeeerrreee's Johnnie??
She has horrible form in urdhva dhanurasana!
Show off!
Show off! Originally Posted by pjorourke
Haha, you got me.