Where do you get your value system from?

Religion…Parents…Laws…Society… Acquaintances…All of the above.

Morality is simply a restraint placed on human desire…which desire, when left unchecked, uncensored, untaught, unguided, unrestrained, etc…is focused entirely on our self and our own wants.
Mother, religion, friends, and A.A. Not always in that order.
I get my moral compass from Chicago politicians
  • jimny
  • 01-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Parents, schooling, laws, religion, if that then it must be the little voices I hear.
Mine must be a combination of Bill Clinton, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker. I would say Tiger Woods contributed, but I'm more attracted to hot AA girls so his influence must be minimal.
  • WTF
  • 01-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Is it vain or virtuous to value your value system over another's value system?

Would you fight to the death if the choice was your value system or anothers?

People looting from the elderly are sociopath if they are doing it because they can and not because they have to.
Religion, parents, and experience.
ASPD
ASPD Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Is it vain or virtuous to value your value system over another's value system?

Would you fight to the death if the choice was your value system or anothers?

People looting from the elderly are sociopath if they are doing it because they can and not because they have to. Originally Posted by WTF
Yes it's vain...why get so wrapped up in what other people believe? Look at the missionaries who go to third world countries...sure they mean well, but they are there to convert. These poor starving people just want running water and a bit of rice and all this comes with a price..." Have you heard the name of our Lord Jesus"...they just want to freakin eat and drink clean water!

I've always been very open about being an Atheist. While I do consider myself spiritual, my morals and values come from taking responsibility for my own actions. Trial and error/school of life, whatever you want to call it.
From the Anglo-American jurisprudence, from neo-Keynesian economics, and more and more in recent years, from Buddhism.
Mr. Ed
Sgt. Schultz
Bart Simpson

Not necessarily in that order....