An interesting article on Personality traits to admire

Those are great traits. I personally subscribe to the Marine Corps Leadership Traits which encompass those six traits.
  • Dependability
    The certainty of proper performance of duty.
  • Bearing
    Creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearance and personalconduct at all times.
  • Courage
    The mental quality that recognizes fear of danger or criticism, but enables a man to proceed in the face of it with calmness and firmness.
  • Decisiveness
    Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner.
  • Endurance
    The mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress and hardship.
  • Enthusiasm
    The display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty.
  • Initiative
    Taking action in the absence of orders.
  • Integrity
    Uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty.
  • Judgment
    The ability to weigh facts and possible solutions on which to base sound decisions.
  • Justice
    Giving reward and punishment according to merits of the case in question. The ability to administer a system of rewards and punishments impartially and consistently.
  • Knowledge
    Understanding of a science or an art. The range of one's information, including professional knowledge and an understanding of your Marines.
  • Tact
    The ability to deal with others without creating offense.
  • Unselfishness
    Avoidance of providing for one's own comfort and personal advancement at the expense of others.
  • Loyalty
    The quality of faithfulness to country, the Corps, the unit, to one's seniors, subordinates and peers.
I don't think those traits are hard to find in people. What I do find hard is to find them in people ALL THE TIME. I include myself in this group. People in this day and time seem to be able to compartmentalize their lives. Having integrity in one's personal life doesn't mean you have it in professional life. Or you might have integrity in one business deal but not another. Of course, whether you have it may depend on one's point of view.

Aspiring to have all the qualities might be the best we can do. We are all works in progress.
Someone once commented that, "Being honest is like being pregnant: you either is or you ain't. There's no such thing as being half-way honest, anymore than you can be half-way pregnant."

Which raises the following point on integrity, honesty, etc: If you're a married hobbyist who hobbies without spousal consent/knowledge, are you inherently dishonest or lacking integrity? It's an interesting point because I can think of many regular posters here who impress me as fine and honorable men, in possession of the attributes described by the OP, but who also freely admit that they're married.

So, is this one of those paradoxes that just should not be discussed?
So, is this one of those paradoxes that just should not be discussed? Originally Posted by notdeadyet
Yeah, lets go with that.
Some else once commented..."Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Must be another one of those paradoxes.
Someone once commented that, "Being honest is like being pregnant: you either is or you ain't. There's no such thing as being half-way honest, anymore than you can be half-way pregnant."

Which raises the following point on integrity, honesty, etc: If you're a married hobbyist who hobbies without spousal consent/knowledge, are you inherently dishonest or lacking integrity? It's an interesting point because I can think of many regular posters here who impress me as fine and honorable men, in possession of the attributes described by the OP, but who also freely admit that they're married.

So, is this one of those paradoxes that just should not be discussed? Originally Posted by notdeadyet
Unlike others I don't think the subject needs to be avoided. Honesty is a state. Meaning it is temporary. You can be honest, then one day tell a lie and be dishonest. While at the same time you could always lie and make a choice to not do so further and become honest.

Honesty is dependent on who you are at the moment allowing for both.

Some people are honest more of the time than others it what it boils down to really because everyone lies.

Fire up a new thread!
  • WTF
  • 02-19-2010, 06:36 AM
Some else once commented..."Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

: Originally Posted by Rudyard K
I bet it wasn't one of the wives being cheated on who said that!

I bet it wasn't one of the wives being cheated on who said that!

Originally Posted by WTF
You are correct WTF, it wasn't a cheated on wife, it was Matthew.
-----------------------------------------------
Matthew 7:3-5 (New International Version)

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
We went from "sensitivity" to the Bible. Is this a dating site? Doesn't anybody just fuck anymore?
  • WTF
  • 02-19-2010, 01:24 PM

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Originally Posted by Nicolette Bordeauxva
The problem as always is what ole Matthew may think a plank....I think a spec!
The problem as always is what ole Matthew may think a plank....I think a spec! Originally Posted by WTF
Yeah...and it's just a hunch...but, Old Matthew probably has a larger following.
  • WTF
  • 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Yeah...and it's just a hunch...but, Old Matthew probably has a larger following. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Hey now I was agreeing with ya. Everyone is always more worried about others shortcomings while overlooking their own.

Matthew was a tax collector...I know more want him judging me than he would want me judging him.

Least that's the way I see it.

I doubt Matthew anymore virtuous than me or you.

Course I ain't buying salvation , least I haven't lately.

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Originally Posted by Nicolette Bordeauxva
Thank you Colette.

We went from "sensitivity" to the Bible. Is this a dating site? Doesn't anybody just fuck anymore? Originally Posted by cpi3000
No, it is not a dating site but then core values are very important even in the demimonde world where deceit reigns supreme. I posted this as a reminder to all just what is important in humans since so many people in this day and time lack these traits just like some I once knew do in the present. I am surprised that some think honesty is a state since honesty is most definitely not transitory nor it is a state because either you got it or you don't just like integrity.

As far as screwing your brains out... I thought that is why most are here?
I feel that honesty can be a bit overrated at times .Obviously there are circumstances where honesty is extremely important such as you do not steal from others, or if a person needs an honest yet helpful opinion you gently give it to them.

But, there are other times when people use honesty as a weapon, and there is nothing worse than a person who tells you something very hurtful for fun , and justify's it with a , but I am just being honest.. line. I guess that is why we call some lies white.There are times when honesty truly does more harm than good.Ignorance can be bliss under some circumstances.

I think that all of the traits mentioned are important, and often do overlap,but if I could only name one I would say that Kindness is the one I aspire to the most.