Not a Tux, but I need a suit

Sometimes you get lucky. I was killing time in an outlet while my wife shopped and I found an Oxxford navy pinstripe suit in my size for $600 (regularly about $4K). Even though I had two perfectly good high quality navy pinstripes hanging in my closet, I had to buy it. Of course, the wife says similar things about shoes.

Word! I prefer the Zegna line anyway. Originally Posted by pjorourke
This is NOT going to sound right: "We should go shpping together." Told ya it wasn't gonna sound good. Now if I could find Armani for six bills.

Should I move this to "Another Realm?" Originally Posted by SR Only
You guys haven't lived until you've graduated to the "no suit" life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about the birthday suit. Just business casual dress.
You guys haven't lived until you've graduated to the "no suit" life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about the birthday suit. Just business casual dress. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005

Don't get me wrong, it feels great to wear a suit that flatters you on occasion...

....but I'm glad I don't have to wear one everyday
About 362 days of the year I am biz casual or less. I do the Armani when I go into suck up mode or gotta look good for a lady. Actually, today I was in a sport jacket. Gotta a compliment from a potential sugarbaby/friend about how I looked. I think she was undressing me with her eyes. I'm hoping for *actual* undressing in the coming week. Come to think of it, I was undressing her with my eyes.

Yes, I know, I am such a floozy. Guilty your honor.
You guys haven't lived until you've graduated to the "no suit" life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about the birthday suit. Just business casual dress. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Oh I have -- I only wear suits a few times a month for meetings -- otherwise its khakis or jeans and a golf shirt. I actually find that putting a good suit on helps get me in the right frame of mind to "do battle".
Oh I have -- I only wear suits a few times a month for meetings -- otherwise its khakis or jeans and a golf shirt. I actually find that putting a good suit on helps get me in the right frame of mind to "do battle". Originally Posted by pjorourke
Do battle? Are you equating your work with warfare? Just to save Doove the trouble:

Do you support the use of waterboarding in the boardroom? "It's different" is not an acceptable answer.
PJ waterboards in his Armani.
A lot depends on your age and body type. But I'll give you three tips:

1. Fit trumps all other factors. Make sure it fits. If they're having to do too much marking up other than the bottom of the trousers and the sleeves, and maybe a inch or so in the waist, it doesn't fit.

2. Buy a high quality fabric and a cut that flatters your body type. If you're 5' 5" and 220 lb., don't buy a European cut no vent suit.

3. Buy something classic that will be as in style 10 years from now as it is today. Navy, charcoal and conservative pinstripes are good bets.

And don't skimp on the accessories. A nice suit with a cheap tie looks cheap. Same with the shirt and the shoes (and socks).

One brand of suit that I like in your price range is Hart, Schaffner, & Marx Golden Trumpeter line. Ten or fifteen years ago, they used to be a pretty good value suit for the money. Better detailing than most. Classically designed, etc.
Ok folks; I need advice

I need to get a conservative suit in navy blue / gray /charcoal
I want to buy a good one that I can use for a while

Jos A Banks & the Mens Warehouse both have sales of buy 1 get 1 free...reading on line, people seem to trash both ??
Mens Warehouse has some Italian suits for $699 while Jos A Banks goes up to $1099, but made in China & Mexico

How do I go about getting a good suit? Originally Posted by shaft.drive
First of all lets consider this, how often will you wear it and where. If you need a suit on a daily basis or find yourself wearing a suit several times throughout the year it would make sense to purchase a nice nice Navy Blue or Charcoal suit of reasonably high quality so allow yourself to consider maybe something around 500 bucks. But if you are going to wear occasionally lets say weddings Funerals lets say once out of the whole year then look for sales and don't be overly concerned about the quality since you won't make that much use of it, cause most people couldn't tell the difference between a Botany500 and JC Penny Brand. Keep the quality of your accesories up though, Shoes, belt, Tie, Shirt ect. Good luck in your decision.
First of all lets consider this, how often will you wear it and where. If you need a suit on a daily basis or find yourself wearing a suit several times throughout the year it would make sense to purchase a nice nice Navy Blue or Charcoal suit of reasonably high quality so allow yourself to consider maybe something around 500 bucks. But if you are going to wear occasionally lets say weddings Funerals lets say once out of the whole year then look for sales and don't be overly concerned about the quality since you won't make that much use of it, cause most people couldn't tell the difference between a Botany500 and JC Penny Brand. Keep the quality of your accesories up though, Shoes, belt, Tie, Shirt ect. Good luck in your decision. Originally Posted by acp5762
I'm sure the Botany 500's will stand out in most any contemporary crowd...

Botany 500 is an American brand of men's apparel. It has provided wardrobe for many game show hosts and television presenters. In addition, the company also provided the wardrobes for Danny Thomas on Make Room For Daddy, Dick Van Dyke on The Dick Van Dyke Show, Don Adams on Get Smart, Telly Savalas on Kojak, Bob Newhart on The Bob Newhart Show, Dick Sargent on Bewitched, Sherman Hemsley on The Jeffersons and Jack Klugman on Quincy, M.E.. Ryan O'Nealīs wardrobe was furnished by Botany 500 in the hit movie Love Story (1970 film). Botany 500 men's suits and sport coats were manufactured in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by H. Daroff and Sons. Their plant was located at 23rd and Walnut Streets during the 40's and 50's and beyond. They also produced another suit called Worsted tex that had the image of the head of a German Shepherd dog on its label. The office, on the top floor of the plant, had a stuffed German shepherd standing guard.
around $1000 or a bit more hoping it will last a while Originally Posted by shaft.drive
OK, let me throw out a suggestion that will net out quite a bit higher, but MAY be well worth it.

Bangkok, Thailand, is quite literally CRAWLING with outstanding custom tailors. A few years ago, for US$1600, I bought three (3) suits, each with 2 pair of pants (one was Armani fabric, the other 2 were one step down from that), 3 shirts (English Oxford broadcloth), and a tweed jacket. ALL were custom-tailored, PERFECTLY. Today, because of exchange rate movement, it would be more. However, take into account that I am a big guy, and so I paid more than someone of average build would pay. Also, the place I go to is known locally for being somewhat pricey. For my money, they're worth it.

That was on my first trip to Bangkok. Since that time, *ALL* of my trousers have come from that shop, and several more shirts. The trousers I wear on a routine basis, and they are holding up QUITE well. On my most recent trip, in February, I had them do a custom winter overcoat for me. It is BEAUTIFUL, and fully functional.

Now, the catch is that you do have to go to Bangkok, and be there for about a week (minimum), for fittings and to give them time to make everything. Round-trip airfare will probably run you around two grand. Hotel rates will vary, but I'd figure US$70/night, and you can do well for less. You can eat as expensively or inexpensively as you want. This being ECCIE, I will add that the natives tend to be VERY friendly.

I should mention that all three of these suits were CONSIDERABLY nicer than an off-the-rack suit, with alterations, that cost me $1000 several years ago.

For just one suit, it probably isn't worth a flight JUST for that reason. On the other hand, off-the-rack 2-pair-of-pants suits have just about vanished in the US. For 3 suits, $1000 each, plus shirts, plus alterations, you start getting close to breakeven, to the point where the long airplane ride starts to make sense. If you're going anyway, for vacation, you'd have to be an idiot not to hit a tailor shop while you're there.
Stick to Dillard's. If in New Orleans, go to Reubenstein's
OK, let me throw out a suggestion that will net out quite a bit higher, but MAY be well worth it.

Bangkok, Thailand, is quite literally CRAWLING with outstanding custom tailors. Originally Posted by Sidewinder
I was there a few years ago & kick myself for not getting a suit & for not being friendly with the natives
This is NOT going to sound right: "We should go shopping together." Told ya it wasn't gonna sound good. Now if I could find Armani for six bills.

Should I move this to "Another Realm?" Originally Posted by SR Only
You are correct lol. Not exactly what comes to mind when thinking about male bonding.

OP, try www.bluefly.com. Everything is 100% returnable, and I believe free shipping. I don't normally return things from there. I believe in clothes fitting perfectly so I tailor everything anyway.
I suggest you:

-Go for a quality natural fabric like Italian wool with a high thread count. Avoid polyester. Choose a color you will like for several years.

-Make sure the suit fits at the shoulders. A good tailor can alter most everything else.

-Lift jacket at the chest and make sure chest pieces feel light and flexible. This adds to the jacket's comfort.

-Look for lining that is breathable, will absorb moisture and doesn't cause a 'swishing' sound when you move. Lining fabrics ranked from best to worst: Bemberg (a type of rayon), rayon, viscose, rayon blend, polyester.

-Check that the collar rests flush with the nape of your neck without gaping.

-Feel for extra fabric for future tailoring .

Check out the "Sienna" suit from here..it is a well made italian suit and a modest price...

http://www.suitsupply.com/
I was there a few years ago & kick myself for not getting a suit & for not being friendly with the natives
Originally Posted by shaft.drive
What can I say? You snooze, you lose.