Back pain

a good chiropractor, Originally Posted by mwebber
Sorry, that's an oxymoron. Quacks, all of 'em. When I had hip issues years ago, I went to a quack-o-practor. A bunch of sessions and relief was limited (maybe placebo effect). Oh wait, my wallet was lighter. Talk about a cash and dash. Anyway, saw some ortho guys. All said the same diagnosis, and had methods of treatment. So I am now 23 years on the right titanium and ceramic hip and 11 on the left. The real docs said I had aseptic necrosis. The docs x-rays and the quack-o-practor showed the fracture lines. Quack boy didn't have a clue.

So lemme tell ya how I really feel.

And "word" to what JB said.
I have read that Glucosamine as well, is good for back pain. Building block of cartilage and it also has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
The first thing you should do when you experience acute back pain is nothing. Rest is an important component of treating acute inflammation of joints, muscles and nerves. Inflammation is characterized by heat, swelling, redness, pain and loss of function. Treat the inflammatory event with antiinflammatories (NSAIDs or steroids if necessary) and rest for a couple of weeks. Trying to work thru joint or neuromuscular inflammation is not recommended. Surgery may be necessary for certain disorders-ie disc disease. Be wary of chiropracters wanting to manipulate your spine or pop your back. Omega 3 fatty acids have been proven to reduce inflammation due to rheumatoid arthritis, so a good supplement to take. The jury is still out about glucosamine/chondroitin products, but probably do no harm. Weight reduction and exercise to strengthen core muscles go hand in hand.
i hurt my back as a teenager working in an orphanage doing farm work and fence building trying to do as kids do..out doing someone else..then i further aggravated it diving into a pool off a high dive and playing high school football. i really truly hurt it....i started running and working out in my mid twenties after one back episode of over a month in bed....here i am many years later..still running and not working out as much but some light weights almost every day.....you would amazed at the aid core muscle strength will give a back

i have very infrequent episodes of back problems now..very infrequent

regardless of what TTH says..you will never ever be the same after a doc cuts on you..but you have to be diligent for excercise to work....

and plus im in great shape so thats a benefit too
Doc cut me 30 yrs ago and when I awakened, had he been in the room, I would have kissed him full on the mouth I was so pain free and happy. He also gave me very simple stretching exercises that can be done anywhere, anytime and have kept me pain free for all this time.
I would have kissed him full on the mouth Originally Posted by John Bull
I don't believe I'dve told that one.
I've had a few different episodes of severe back pain. The first time was the worst and lasted the longest. While I think rest immediately after an acute problem is probably good advice, I'd be careful about using this as an excuse for prolonged inactivity. My back pain lasted weeks, during which I basically did nothing other than sit all day long and take painkillers. Eventually, I had to do some traveling for work, which required me to do some walking. It was much more painful walking than sitting, but I am convinced that physical activity put me on the road to recovery. Now, I try to avoid things that I know lead to problems (lots of prolonged sitting with poor posture and overexertion of my low back, such as spending the day bending over pulling weeds, seem to be the two triggers for me) and do regular exercises (swimming and pilades and yoga (if you don't try too hard on the stretches)) to prevent an attack of back pain. Personally, I'd look to surgery as a last resort.
At some time or another many of us experience back pain. Many seek out doctors who dispense painkillers, others seek chiropractors or acupuncture. What really works? In S.A. we have a number of good masseuses, but you feel good while on the table but it doesn't last.

I look forward to your feedback. Originally Posted by oden

It truly depends on what is cause the problem. I have 7 bulging disks due to a car wreck. I have done a couple things to help with the pain. I stretch my torso for about 30 minutes ever day. I also started to strengthen my torso in the gym. I lost about 25lbs which helps greatly. Yoga really helps with the stretching. So my trick has been to stay limber, keep the weight off and strengthen my core.

Someone said this is simply masking the problem and he was right, but as long as I can stay off the operating table I will mask the problem everyday of the week.
I would have kissed him full on the mouth I was so pain free and happy. Originally Posted by John Bull
Kinda makes me with Ed and the squirrel look like lightweights.
My only advice is to be very careful with prescriptions for the pain.
I don't believe I'dve told that one. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
As many cuties as I've had over the years, I don't worry about anyone mistaking my female gender appreciation.

Kinda makes me with Ed and the squirrel look like lightweights. Originally Posted by SR Only
Nothing could make you 3 look like lightweights. I feel sorry for Ed and the squirrel.
Sure, "dog pile on the rabbit!" Pun intended.
http://jb5353.tripod.com/looneytunes/dogpile.wav
  • oden
  • 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey everyone, thanks so much for the advice. Truth to tell, I'm like John Bull; cure me and there is almost nothing I would not do to get rid of the pain. However, a trip to the doc got a steroid shot and anti-inflammatory pills.

Can't wait for some hip exercises with a skilled Lady to limber me up. There is some doubt in my mind as to whether the pills worked better than the manipulation I received by a therapist in the back of a truck this weekend on the Guadalupe River.It's great to have friends!
Placebo, anti-inflammatories kicking in, I don't know.

I take the loose weight, stretch, walk and core exercises as very good advise. Also, I would rather suffer than do the pain killers as that is not a long term solution for me.
Weightlifting and massages work for me. Unfortunately my back problems are constant

Lina
It depends on what is actually wrong with it. You have to have a doctor diagnose the problem first, and that will determine your course of action. If it's a structural problem, then odds are you'll end up needing surgery to repair the damage because it won't heal on its own. I have several herniated disks in my lower back (one of which is extruded and inpinges on my sciatic nerve) and no amount of exercise, stretching, or chiropractic treatment can bring any lasting relief. Exercise and stretching are always good, but be real careful, as you can aggravate/damage it further. Try sleeping on a heating pad (on a low setting) for a few days and see if that helps. I also crank up the heat in the shower literally as hot as I can take it and let the hot water spray onto my lower back as I stretch it out for several minutes every day. That tends to relieve the muscle tightness, inflammation and spasms that cause the pain. Ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory) works well too. I'd recommend staying away from the pain meds as much as possible, they just mask the problem and can cause additional injury since you feel better and end up doing things you wouldn't do when your back hurts. But yeah, definitely get it checked out. I hurt my back as a teenager and my Dad was one of those old school guys who refused to see a doctor unless he was carted in strapped to a stretcher. You know, the whole "toughen up, buttercup and quit being such a wuss" types. That was just the way I was raised, so for 15+ years, I just tried to ignore it. But by not getting it treated properly back then, I've done so much additional damage that now I'm on disability and HAVE to have surgery.