A Ceiling Pulley?

Knew a domina in Houston that had a sling in her garage that she'd have me climb into when she was in the mood to wear her strapon.
hm that sounds interesting! Originally Posted by DallasRain
Absolutely
Elisabeth,

A hammock, actually sounds amazing! I loved that idea! :P
A pulley and a winch (pun!) are two different beasts. The pulley would allow you to potentially lift someone off, but you'd need to physically lift them using the rope or chain and then tie it off. The rope/chain would continue to have a load on it until you released them. It has a number of inherent risks if you don't have the right setup.

An electric winch would work best, but it's also more complicated to install. You can pick one up at Northern Tool's that holds over 400lbs for about $100. I highly suggest you get a very competent craftsman to first evaluate where you want to install it and let him tell you if you will need additional bracing to hold both the winch and a full load. You should be very upfront with him and let him know that the loads may swing, which will stress the mount differently than just a static load.

And, unless you are wanting to do a strappado, a nice spanking bench works best for spankings. Not many men are able to bend over properly for a strappado spanking. Not enough flexibility.
We have a pair of heavy tool hooks in the 2x4's over our bed, no pulley. but our ropes are made to be the right length, so they are just hooked after they're attached to the ... uh... victim . It would be very easy to hang a pulley, or pulley system and pass the rope through it if we needed to more easily lift some weight.. You can easily find a ceiling support by tapping or using a "stud finder".. LOL ironic.. stud finder. A good idea is to pre-drill the hole to put the hanger into so you don't split the wood.. another good trick is to rub the threads of whatever bolt you use with a bar of soap, it makes it MUCH easier to screw into the wood.. LOL screw, wood, stud finder.. didn't think my wood working hobby had so many suggestive phrases until just now.
EW,

If your play area will be in a garage with either open ceiling joists or access into the attic, it is very easy to have two 2"x12"x12'planks double-stacked across the rafters. This provides the capability to place the load across nine rafters that are at 16" centers.

There is a specific type of winch made for overhead lifting and maintaining a static load of 1000 lbs, often used as engine hoists. These can be either operated by either wired or wireless remote controls.

As others have pointed out, doing this inside a finished room can cause the celing drywall to flex or crack due the amount of flex a heavy load can cause on ceiling joists, but with proper structural precautions it is possible. Even more so if one of your clients is a general contractor.

Imagine having party guests socializing in a room with a human candlebra hanging fron the ceiling. A lit candle in each hand and one in the ass.

That should provide several topics of discussion for the evening.

Good luck with the project.

Dogg
I have thought of hanging a swing from the ceiling but I am afraid it will unhinge from the ceiling the moment I begin to play. A hard beam in the garage sounds the safest.

I love the thought of having a swing in the house BUT I know for a fact I would use it, all the time, regardless of the activity. It would become my new chair/reading place. Originally Posted by Miss Barsett
I have thought of hanging a swing from the ceiling but I am afraid it will unhinge from the ceiling the moment I begin to play. A hard beam in the garage sounds the safest. Originally Posted by Goddess Emma Love

Hey that does sound sturdier

I wanted to make one myself for medical reasons but was always afraid that the shit will collapse.
It all depends on the load being hung and nearing capacity of the framing. If it was engineered then a 250 percent safety factor would be used. EW said she see's some large clients and she is large. No offense to be taken by anybody these numbers are what I would use to be on the safe side not knowing who would possibly want to play. A combined load of 700 pounds ( don't even know if they have any swings etc. designed for that) so that would be a 1750 pound design weight.

With this to prevent Sheetrock from cracking at joints I would distribute the weight over six of the support studs on each wall. Winch would be rated for a 2000 pounds static load.

Yes it is overkill. I deal with engineers every day and their over design that makes my installed cost to the owner higher, always makes me look like the bad guy.

Must say this would be a fun job to do. EW if you are serious PM me with your room dimensions and location placement of the screw eye. I can do the same calculations an engineer would and let you know what it would take. Plus I'm sure you are not near the size I have allowed nor your client, if so then both of you are extremely fit!

PS. Those mentioning a 4x6 being used, two 2x6's back to back are stronger and deflect less. Also the only place a 2x6 would be used in ceiling framing is across a hallway, I wouldn't use anything less than 2x8's for support. Besides it's always said that size matters to women!

Damn I think I found my retirement job. Spread the idea ladies, will swap services!