NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Clowney has the size and speed to be a beast. Fucking 270# running a 4.53 40. That's crazy! It takes more than that to make it in the No Fun League tho. Gotta have the work ethic and desire. That means desire to be professional, stay out of trouble off the field and go hard every play. That's not something a mentor is going to teach him. He has to want it. Yeah, red flags abound. I think the Texans will steer clear of Clowney.
I think the Texans will steer clear of Clowney. Originally Posted by boardman

Clowney officially at 4.53........... I just hope like hell the Texans don't take him....too many red flags. Originally Posted by Satin
You can't teach 4.53 speed to a DL, just like you can't teach a 100 mph fastball to a pitcher. But I agree with Boardman and Satin there are wayyyyy too many question marks for us to use the #1 pick on him.

Let's hope his blazing speed will bring about a bidding war for his services. If so, the #1 pick puts the Texans in the best possible position to be a prime beneficiary.

But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.
Aaron Donald and Kahlil Mack had great combines. Neither has the pure athletic ability of Clowney. Teddy Bridgewater did nothing, JFF didn't throw. The smartest player at the combine was Sam. If he didn't come out if the closet, nobody would have said a word about him. Looked like the worst athlete there.
  • Satin
  • 02-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Bambino, gotta agree with you about Sam, that guy looked terrible in drills. He did like 17 reps, and vertical was around 24, that's not going to get a lot of teams wanting to draft him with those numbers, especially with the controversy he will bring.

The more I watch Clowney, the less I like him. His demeanor and lack of work ethic bothers me to be a # 1 pick. 3 sacks in college? Are you kidding me?

I have to admit when they superimposed his forty run on with JFF, Kapernick and Cam Newton and it showed him dusting their asses, that was impressive.

BT, I agree what you said is a viable option for the Texans, very well said.

I'm still on the fence about the top 4 QB's. They are being very careful by picking and choosing what they do when and where. I don't agree with that, but I understand why they're doing it.
Bambino, gotta agree with you about Sam, that guy looked terrible in drills. He did like 17 reps, and vertical was around 24, that's not going to get a lot of teams wanting to draft him with those numbers, especially with the controversy he will bring.

The more I watch Clowney, the less I like him. His demeanor and lack of work ethic bothers me to be a # 1 pick. 3 sacks in college? Are you kidding me?

I have to admit when they superimposed his forty run on with JFF, Kapernick and Cam Newton and it showed him dusting their asses, that was impressive.

BT, I agree what you said is a viable option for the Texans, very well said.

I'm still on the fence about the top 4 QB's. They are being very careful by picking and choosing what they do when and where. I don't agree with that, but I understand why they're doing it. Originally Posted by Satin
I agree about Clowneys demeanor, he comes across as an easygoing, happy go lucky guy. He was joking around with Ford after Ford dissed him. Who knows. Bortles did participate in all the drills and threw. Only top QB who did.
Clowney has the size and speed to be a beast. Fucking 270# running a 4.53 40. That's crazy! It takes more than that to make it in the No Fun League tho. Gotta have the work ethic and desire. That means desire to be professional, stay out of trouble off the field and go hard every play. That's not something a mentor is going to teach him. He has to want it. Yeah, red flags abound. I think the Texans will steer clear of Clowney. Originally Posted by boardman
He has BONE SPuR problems going back too High School .
It's not that he doesn't want too workout it's his bone spurs that keep him from working out .
He got some rest from football and some cortisone shots and went to the combine and ran a good 40 but he took himself out of some drills with hip problems .
He needs surgery but is postponing it until he gets a fat contract .
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-foot-injuries
I agree with my man Satin as usual. I don't want Clowney either. Sapp was ripping him about his game film for this last year.

We need some Mfing playmakers!!!

Sam did set the record for limp wrist bench presses!! You can bet on where Sam gets drafted. Before the combine it was the 125.5 draft pick.
  • Satin
  • 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM
I like the fact that Mike Mayock and all those guys really call it like they see it. No pussyfooting around. You're right Bambino, Bortles did participate and I applaud him for that.

I'm wondering if we could get a good defender like the guy Mayock likes - Khalil Mack - and still get a QB like Mccarron. I assume a lot of you who watch the college game don't care for him, but I like McCarron. He's 6'4, 214 lbs. He's a proven winner (back to back championships and 3 total) and I feel he's very polished and poised. Is he just a "system guy" or what? I don't get why he doesn't get more run. What's the deal with him? It seems he would fit in the Texans system perfectly, but I don't know.

Sam might be done. I was kinda pulling for him. I don't think he could play more than just special teams. He's labeled a "tweener" now....
I like the fact that Mike Mayock and all those guys really call it like they see it. No pussyfooting around. You're right Bambino, Bortles did participate and I applaud him for that.

I'm wondering if we could get a good defender like the guy Mayock likes - Khalil Mack - and still get a QB like Mccarron. I assume a lot of you who watch the college game don't care for him, but I like McCarron. He's 6'4, 214 lbs. He's a proven winner (back to back championships and 3 total) and I feel he's very polished and poised. Is he just a "system guy" or what? I don't get why he doesn't get more run. What's the deal with him? It seems he would fit in the Texans system perfectly, but I don't know.

Sam might be done. I was kinda pulling for him. I don't think he could play more than just special teams. He's labeled a "tweener" now.... Originally Posted by Satin
Mack looks like a beast and prolly a safer pick than Clowney. Isn't Cushing always hurt? Chris Mortensen reported the Texans are taking Clowney and one team in the top 5 wants Manziel. FWIW
Clowney has the questions marks but I didn't like his happy go lucky personality at the combine. Mfer should have been mean and angry, that is how a DL should be, I think he is just waiting on a big payday and then will puss out. If that freak had JJ's mentality then fuck yes we should draft him no matter what!! But for now we have way to many other holes to fill, kinda like me and all the snatch!! I fill em one at a time!!

Not sold on McCarron, but I like his snatch. If we draft him I will try to fuck his girlfriend and his momma!! That's probably the real reason Satin is interested in him.

If we draft Clowney, look for us to trade the 2nd round pick to New England for Ryan Mallett. Gotta admit, that might not be a bad way to go!! Obrien knows Mallett and what he can do, a few years experience in the NFL is very valuable. You saw that with RGIII this year as he really regressed. Luck has been the only QB that has really set the world on fire as a rookie. Russell Wilson has done great but he is in a system that helps him tremendously. He is also a little older than a typical rookie and has other pro baseball experience that helped him mature. JFF, Teddy Titwafer, and Blake the Snake are all very young and not worthy of the #1 pick. Still wouldn't mind seeing JFF as a Texan!!
We'll all know what happens is about 72 days
Satin,
I'm not thrilled about either but I'd rather have Mettenberger over McCarron if we were to go that direction. He's bigger and stronger with a better deep ball, quicker release and better mechanics. I've heard some chatter about Mettenberger being the sleeper. Combine notes pretty much say he'll be a long term backup.
  • Satin
  • 02-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Well I appreciate it fellas, you guys are better experts than me. I have seen McCarron a few times and just don't understand why he's not rated higher. Dude has 3 rings (championships) and a pretty good arm and has won a lot of awards. The Texans have a "run-first" offense so I don't see why he wouldn't fit. He reminds me of Alex Smith a lot, and Smith has been a winner and have had success with the Niners and the Chiefs.

BM, I'll check him out, haven't heard of him. We have so many damn holes to fill, it's ridiculous. I don't think Foster will last much longer for health and baby mama drama reasons. So we need: a QB, RB, ROL, LB, CB, safety. Some of it will depend on who we cut or resign. I don't think the ninja will last and one of the DB's might be gone. Cushing has health concerns as well. I don't know about Swearinger either. I'm not sold on him as a starter but he's all we have.

Well Daddio at least if we sign McCarron we would have hot snatch to look at. I know he would let her go for better pussy and she would then come right to Icky and we could all try to get a piece.....
My grandmother has better mobility than Mettenberger, and she's dead! Fuck that guy, he's got Schaub 2.0 written all over his ass. There is no chance in hell the Texans take him. Zero chance, zip, nada.

I'd literally see Schaub sign a 100 million dollar contract for the next 5 years than see Mettenberger on our team.