NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Eliminating PATs is just going to lose commercials for the networks. If you want PAT to be less automatic just push the PAT hike spot to the 7 or 12 yard line.
The league has done a lot to protect the kicker and the center on the PAT so they do become more automatic.

lf you want to improve the league get rid of the European games.
Eliminating PATs is just going to lose commercials for the networks. If you want PAT to be less automatic just push the PAT hike spot to the 7 or 12 yard line.
The league has done a lot to protect the kicker and the center on the PAT so they do become more automatic.

lf you want to improve the league get rid of the European games. Originally Posted by gnadfly
If you want to improve the league get rid if Goddel.
Free agency starts next week pretty sure Tate and smith are gone
Extra points? Hey if it aint broke, dont fix it. If you are really that concerned just move the kick back 15 yards.

If Texans dont take either Bridgwater or Manzell with the first. then its a huge mistake. No matter if Clowney makes you a little better you still wont have a real QB. you dont get a chance to grab a francise QB very often. I think Borttles is a stretch, and so are the others.
Rockets = Heart of A Champion; Texans = No Fucking Clue
  • bbkid
  • 03-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Rockets = Heart of A Champion; Texans = No Fucking Clue Originally Posted by BigLouie
:LOL, BL and so true too.

Rockets = Clutch City
Texans = Conservative Dumb Ass City

Ryan Mallet again linked to the Texans. Looks like we will draft Clowney and trade for Mallet. Losing the Ninja will almost make this a certainty. At least the Clowney part.

Gotta admit, a Clowney and Mallet Draft would be pretty sweet. I just hope we don't have to give a #2 for Mallett. If we can give up a #4 or worse for Mallet or Hoyer that would be fine by me. Or even sign McCown would be the best scenario of all as we don't lose any draft picks doing that.
Why would the Patriots give him up his a good backup for brady knows the system I don't see that happening
Because they could easily find a veteran QB who could come in and do just as well if not better than Mallet...Brady isn't retiring anytime soon so Mallet will be riding the pine for a while.

Plus, Belicheat loves to stockpile draft picks

Rockets = Clutch City
Texans = Conservative Dumb Ass City
Originally Posted by Daddio

After hearing and reading some certain things on Clowney, I'm starting to like him a bit more. I really don't want Bortles, so I'm good if they get Clowney.

Mallet has thrown just 4 passes, a lot of mystique behind him, Brian should know if he's good or not, I wouldn't mind Mallet if JFF doesn't fall to round two.
What did you hear about Clowney Don? I usually like your knowledge about football. I hope he pans out to be a stud if we draft him.

I didn't like what Sapp said about his film from last year. Sapp said he should be embarrassed by his game tape from last year.
What did you hear about Clowney Don? I usually like your knowledge about football. I hope he pans out to be a stud if we draft him.

I didn't like what Sapp said about his film from last year. Sapp said he should be embarrassed by his game tape from last year. Originally Posted by Daddio
Wish I had the article in front of me, tried googling it but there are a too many articles to search from (not surprisingly, I found it a few weeks ago, the guy who wrote the article was interviewed on 790 (BL might remember, he probably listened to it). But basically, the guy who wrote the article was a former D-lineman in the league and used to play in the SEC. He mentioned a few things about Clowney that nobody else really has brought up, such as this:
One of his assistant coaches actually told him to "slow down" in practice because he was going too hard:

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...PC20/131239946

Guy basically talks about him being over-scrutinized over his play and character, says he really doesn't think he will have trouble fitting in and focusing on the game. He also said he and Khalil Mack are pretty similar, but that Clowney has way more upside. Also mentioned every lineman he faced this year had a TE to help him or a RB on every single play, which lead to his low sack total, and one of the reasons "he took plays off", unless he had a one on one, there was little to no chance he'd get to make a play. Also talked about his ability to beat the initial guy (which Texans not named Smith and Watt suck at doing), so it would benefit us greatly. Also mentioned he would be better as an OLB rather than a DE, says as a DE he is Ok, but as a OLB he is great.

He seemed like he knew what he was talking about. I liked a lot of the players on TV when I watched them play, but I just don't think a lot of the guys actually know what they are talking about. Sapp seems like a cool dude, but I don't know if I'd go off his word. I remember listening to a Marshal Faulk interview during SuperBowl weekend where he said that Schaub could still be the QB of the team.

I didn't personally watch a whole lot of South Carolina last year, so I can't really comment. But I do know one of the reasons he didn't go as hard is because he was scarred of injury. One of the best RB's in the country two years ago was on his team, shattered his knee in the middle of the year, was supposed to go in the 1st/2nd round, ended up going in the 6th I think, lost out on millions of dollars, I'm sure that was in the back of his mind for all of last season. Can't really blame him for being cautions at times.

I just know that I'd much rather take a risk on this direction that I would on Bortles, even if we hit on that guy, I don't know how high his ceiling can be.
Clowney was game planned by other teams this year, but he dominated Wisconsin's OL in the bowl game. I think he's going to be pretty good. John McClain said the Texans aren't going after Mallet, but may consider trading for Hoyer. McClain seems like he's usually right about the Texans.
I'm hearing Silver on NFL Network saying that the Raiders and Jets are "targeting" Matt Schaub. Or maybe I'm drinking bad bourbon...
Clowney was game planned by other teams this year, but he dominated Wisconsin's OL in the bowl game. I think he's going to be pretty good. John McClain said the Texans aren't going after Mallet, but may consider trading for Hoyer. McClain seems like he's usually right about the Texans. Originally Posted by bambino
Clowney was targeted in college and was slowed by a bunch of guys who will never play in the pros. So what's going to happen when he goes against the pros and they game plan for him?

As for Mallet, more like Mullet. He has done nothing on the field as a pro, certainly nothing worthy of a #2 pick. Plus Rick Smith's job is riding on this draft. He screws this one up and he's gone. With the first pick in every round he had better come up with 4 solid starters his first 4 picks. I see it as Clowney first (have to accept the fact that's what they are going to do) and a QB with the first pick of the second round. My guess is Jimmy G. I also think they will sign a decent vet to start next year while the new QB learns. Someone they can junk after a year or two. IMHO BOB is not going to risk his career with some retread QB that's all rep and no show.

And you can forget about trading down from #1. That last happened 10 years ago and if you don't think there is anyone worthy of a #1 what makes you think other teams are just waiting to trade up to get someone not worthy of the first pick. That kinda stupid is not around like it use to be.