Retirement

Yes, UK no longer a Schengen country. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
The UK was never part of the Schengen zone.
Yes, UK no longer a Schengen country. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
UK was never technically a member, but they did enjoy freedom of movement as though they were a member of the zone. However, they lost that with Brexit.
If you could retire ANYWHERE, where would you go? Originally Posted by leslie@nn
Scotland or Northern Ireland.

I dunno why everyone wants to go to a sweatbox like Costa Rica or South America.
A long visit to Saigon
Scotland or Northern Ireland.

I dunno why everyone wants to go to a sweatbox like Costa Rica or South America. Originally Posted by slubby
Cost of living... great healthcare systems.. relative ease to gain permanent residency...

Colombia has fairly temperate weather unless you're along the Carribean coast (Cartagena, Barranquilla, Santa Marta). You go towards Medellin or Bogota and you're in the mountains with fairly spring like weather year round.
  • BLM69
  • 08-07-2024, 09:06 PM
Check out Medellin, Colombia. I go there all the time, It is known as the city of eternal spring. Normal temps 75 day and low 60's at night year round. Originally Posted by huskerdude
You're a regular out there, I know what you like down there 😂
I'm retiring is Spain next year. Heading there again in September to find a house. Originally Posted by CoHorn
Another person at work told me this same thing. You always hear of Costa Rica , Mexico, and others. What so great about Spain all of a sudden?
Portugal is more affordable than Spain…As for me, within 10 years I will be living in Uruguay, that’s the plan anyway.

No desire to live in Colombia, in spite of it’s beauty- too much crime, too many kidnappings of non-nationals for ransom (think Mexico only a much prettier country)
San Jose, Costa Rica not so great. Too much traffic, too many people. Jaco too crowded with locals and tourists. West coast too hot and humid in July. Cost of living is super expensive. Food is somewhat bland. Didn’t see but a few hot girls.

Now for the good part. The La Fortuna/Arenal area is spectacular. The hot springs are devine. Slept better than I have in months/years. Going back in a few months to hunt for a house. Maybe not full time but at least six months per year.

Just wish that part of the country had some available ticas for even a better enjoyment of the future experience. May have to open my new abode to visiting ladies to discover the tranquility and beauty of the country.

Be safe and live life to the fullest. Pura vida.
Portugal is more affordable than Spain…As for me, within 10 years I will be living in Uruguay, that’s the plan anyway.

No desire to live in Colombia, in spite of it’s beauty- too much crime, too many kidnappings of non-nationals for ransom (think Mexico only a much prettier country) Originally Posted by ManSlut
Portugal is more affordable if you wanting to live inland-- but if you want to live along the coast, Spain is generally less expensive-- a lot more coastline to offer.

Uruguay is also a bit on the pricey side for South America.

In terms of Colombia and kidnappings-- you're generally safe as long as you stay north of Cali and don't go near the borders, particularly Venezuela. Coastal Colombia-- the closer to Panama the better-- is generally a safe zone.

If you're a fan of Uruguay-- have you considered Peru?
  • R.M.
  • 08-27-2024, 12:01 PM
Has anyone researched Italy?
I think I will be in CEBU City in the Philippines. I visit there a couple times a year, to spend a couple of weeks with some pretty Filipina. It’s one of the few places on earth, where an older white guy is popular with the ladies.