Another Obama Outrage

• Doove
  • 11-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Doove, I don't hate anyone. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
When i logged on just now, you have the last post in 16 of the last 18 threads. The vast majority of them, no doubt, some sort of anti-Obama screed of yours.

I think that speaks for itself.
It's interesting, however, that this sort of partisan bickering, political back and forth, is not really reported in the international press. They just report the big picture stuff, which lately is 1) the U.S. is completely dysfunctional, with the blame falling almost exclusively on the Republican refusal to consider anything on the revenue side; 2) and that we don't see to give a shit that Europe is about to start a global financial collapse. Meanwhile, this is what's making news at home. Sort of revealing on why the rest of the world views us the way that they do. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Unless you are in Germany or China, tell them to have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.
When i logged on just now, you have the last post in 16 of the last 18 threads. The vast majority of them, no doubt, some sort of anti-Obama screed of yours.

I think that speaks for itself. Originally Posted by Doove
Yes, I am anti-Obama. But I don't hate him. And I post here because I like it. People like you make me laugh. It's fun.

• WTF
  • 11-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Yes, I am anti-Obama. But I don't hate him. And I post here because I like it. People like you make me laugh. It's fun.

Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy

Were you and Marshall seperated at birth?
If all you post is negative, how the fuc do you expect to have a constructive dialogue?
Yes, I should take your example for reasonable and thoughtful responses. Thank you.

Marshall is a conservative, I am not. But he is fun to read as well.
  • Laz
  • 11-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Well, you may give a shit when our failure to act responsibly it regard to their debt crisis leads them to say, "Fuck it all. If the U.S. isn't going to do their share, let the world economy crash!" I'm moving into more defensive positions with my investments on a daily basis even though I'm out of the U.S. the next few days. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
What is our share of the problem they created in their own country? Isn't the entire problem theirs to fix? How can us borrowing more money from China to bail them out going to help when our economy then goes into the tank because we could not control spending? The same thing that has driven their economies into the toilet.
I'm moving into more defensive positions with my investments on a daily basis. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Don't like that.
  • WTF
  • 11-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Yes, I should take your example for reasonable and thoughtful responses. Thank you.

Marshall is a conservative, I am not. But he is fun to read as well. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
I do not start endless negative threads
You are so right, WTF. You are the epitome of reasonableness and compassion. I will endeavor to follow your example. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways. I am a better person now.
Apparently his turning over 85,000 pages wasn't enough, so the Republicans decided to go on a fishing expedition. Perhaps the Republicans should turn their attention to the 9% unemployment rate.

Outrage, indeed.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/71616174/Letter-From-the-White-House-Counsel-Solyndra [/quote] Originally Posted by Doove
If it’s another no-there-there thing like White Water then let them go on their fishing expedition like Clinton did.

It's interesting, however, that this sort of partisan bickering, political back and forth, is not really reported in the international press. They just report the big picture stuff, which lately is 1) the U.S. is completely dysfunctional, with the blame falling almost exclusively on the Republican refusal to consider anything on the revenue side; 2) and that we don't see to give a shit that Europe is about to start a global financial collapse. Meanwhile, this is what's making news at home. Sort of revealing on why the rest of the world views us the way that they do. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
WHERE. Do you get your news? The news I read doesn’t lay the blame for the economy entirely at the Republican’s doorstep. The news I read doesn’t absolve the Democrats of all blame. You are so smart. Why when you read such slanted news wouldn’t you be suspect of it? I would cross that news source off my list were I to stumble across it.

And generalizations aside, I care about he European meltdown. Personally, if I were a German, I’d kick Greece to the curb where they belong. We can’t help them out. We are on our own sinking ship. I wish everyone liberal and conservative alike would acknowledge this and come together for once in the last 16 years and work to fix the problems we have created.
Ok, I am trying to follow your disjointed logic. You have been saying how much better Europe is because of their health care, tax system, and social programs. Now they are in trouble. And why are they in trouble? THEY SPEND TOO MUCH!!! And now it is necessary for the uncaring, noncompassionate United States to bail them out? I thought the Obama plan was to make us more like Europe. And guess what? We are in deep trouble. Why are we in deep trouble? WE SPEND TOO MUCH!!

So let's borrow money from China to bail out Europe, and then watch our economy tank as bad or worse than theirs. Good plan.

If we want to help Europe, and the world economy we need to do one thing - STOP SPENDING SO GOD DAMN MUCH MONEY!

I fail to see how we can help anyone get over their debt problem by massively increasing our own uncontrollable debt.

Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
First, the overall debt level in Europe is perfectly acceptable. The problem is the single currency. A currency union doesn't allow individual countries who have growth problems or modest debt problems (like Greece, Italy, and perhaps Spain) to inflate their way out of debt via currency devaluation. Those countries are stuck with a robust currency and have to pay their debt back without the ability to control the currency. Yet other nations whose economies have taken different paths wish for the currencies to remain robust, or worse for those nations with a weakening economy, want the currency to be even stronger.

Second, those European nations with the strongest social safety net have the healthiest economies. No Scandinavian or northern European countries have any debt problems at present. Their economies are running very, very well.

Finally, the U.S. can choose whether to participate in LOLR support or not. However, whether we helped create the mess or not is irrelevant. If Europe goes into a Depression, we will surely follow. If our intervention as a LOLR will prevent a worldwide Depression, it is in our best interest to intervene even if we had no role whatsoever in creating the mess.

China understands this, I think. But they're not going to sign on the bottom line unless we do. And probably vice versa. But playing a game of chicken with China to see who blinks first is a dangerous game indeed, especially given these stakes.
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=13830 Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
A very brief and painfully superficial discussion of the privileged issue, but given it's brevity, not a bad one. What's your point. It's not really all that different from what I said earlier:

"Congressional subpoena power over the executive branch is not exactly like a court subpoena. There are very specific procedures for enforcing a subpoena that, at least thus far, the Congress has not initiated. When and if they do -- and they seldom do -- both the House and the Whitehouse will have an opportunity to make their case before a Federal District Court. Until then, this is just political posturing by both sides."

Cato focuses less on the procedural and more on the substantive issue of justiciability and abstention on account of political question doctrine. But we essentially said much the same thing. Congress hasn't pushed for enforcement yet, and probably won't. If it does, it may loose.
Who will intervene for us?
Who will intervene for us? Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
europe or china?