Texas Beaches

Surfside beach is a quite little community in between Galveston and Freeport. You can take 288 south from Houston past Lake Jackson to reach it.
I always thought of it as a non-tourist type beach...less traveled. Originally Posted by EroticEden
great beach area!
I stumbled across this great list that pretty much includes most of everyone's suggestions!

10 Amazing Beaches in Texas You Have To Check Out This Summer

Good promoting for Business.Indiana says Hello.
Well, I'm excited to make my way to Indiana. I hear the lakefront is beautiful and the Indiana side of Lake Michigan attracts lots of folks from Chicago and elsewhere in the Midwest.
As much as I love living in New Orleans and taking in the amazing views of the Mississippi River, I do miss being able to luxuriate all day along a secluded shoreline and dip my toes in a vast body of water. When I lived in New York, I took for granted how often I could just go to the beach. There were so many options, including beaches in the Outer Boroughs of New York City, as well as the north and south shores of Long Island.

I've been to Orange Beach, Alabama a few times as well as Pensacola. But recently some of the beaches in Texas have been piquing my interest. I've got my eyes set on Padre Island, or Rockport Beach near Corpus Christi. And I've heard that some parts of Galveston Island are lovely, while others aren't all that pristine. But I'm not super familiar with the various options. Folks who live in or are from Texas, what are some of your favorite Texas beach getaways?

Thanks,
~Lena Originally Posted by Lena Duvall
I am sure things in Texas are nice, but may I suggest another beach to the east of you here in Panama City Beach, but the truth is some of our small town charm has been traded for many high rise condos, but the sand is still white the folks friendly and you would be welcomed with open arms.
Look at satellite photos of the beaches mentioned especially the ships coming in and out. The color of the water is very telling. Compare that to the waters far from the beaches. As I recall, the waters against the South of France near Nice were very nice. Originally Posted by ugotme10
those beaches don't have sand, so there won't be any sediment. The color of the water has absolutely nothing to do with its cleanliness. again, texas waters are sandy Due to rivers throwing sediment and very shallow continental shelf, they are not unclean.
South-West of Galveston, across the San Louis Pass Bridge is a stretch of coast called Surfside. This is a lower-glam, quieter area with a few condos and summer rental beach houses. The beach ranges from narrow or none with a rock wall to broader with auto access.

You can rent a place for the amenities and do day trips to the drive-on beach for deserted seclusion. Of course there are more people during Spring Break, July 4th and so on, but mid week days can be lonely.

A few decent restaurants are in the area as is some working class night life due to refineries and plants in Lake Jackson.

The glitz of Galveston is a 40 min drive up the coast if you get to feeling too secluded.

Texas beaches are what they are. If you need something moe exotic, you gotta go there. I have heard nice things about Hawaii, and French Polynesia.

From direct personal experience: Mykonos Island in Greece is great: The "Family Beaches" are topless and there is a totally nude beach. The water is that deep blue that Disney tries to fake, but its real (the "Wine-Dark Sea" of Homer).
Well, I'm excited to make my way to Indiana. I hear the lakefront is beautiful and the Indiana side of Lake Michigan attracts lots of folks from Chicago and elsewhere in the Midwest. Originally Posted by Lena Duvall
Having grown up in Michigan I can agree with the above. The West Coast of Michigan is also nice, with sand dunes and inland lakes close to the big water. Although these are fresh water beaches, that water can be COLD, and the gunny days may not be frequent or as warm as you might wish.
Thank you! I hope to make my way out to Florida before the year is out.

I am sure things in Texas are nice, but may I suggest another beach to the east of you here in Panama City Beach, but the truth is some of our small town charm has been traded for many high rise condos, but the sand is still white the folks friendly and you would be welcomed with open arms. Originally Posted by goodguy22
Thanks for your suggestions!

South-West of Galveston, across the San Louis Pass Bridge is a stretch of coast called Surfside. This is a lower-glam, quieter area with a few condos and summer rental beach houses. The beach ranges from narrow or none with a rock wall to broader with auto access.

You can rent a place for the amenities and do day trips to the drive-on beach for deserted seclusion. Of course there are more people during Spring Break, July 4th and so on, but mid week days can be lonely.

A few decent restaurants are in the area as is some working class night life due to refineries and plants in Lake Jackson.

The glitz of Galveston is a 40 min drive up the coast if you get to feeling too secluded.

Texas beaches are what they are. If you need something moe exotic, you gotta go there. I have heard nice things about Hawaii, and French Polynesia.

From direct personal experience: Mykonos Island in Greece is great: The "Family Beaches" are topless and there is a totally nude beach. The water is that deep blue that Disney tries to fake, but its real (the "Wine-Dark Sea" of Homer). Originally Posted by ICU 812
I like to drive to the end of Hwy 22 then head for the surf. That is where the beach bunny in my Avatar was shot. On a week day mid afternoon the beach is deserted and the Gulf of Mexico belongs to you. Have fun.
This is exactly the vibe I'm looking for. I hope I have the opportunity to visit South Texas again in the future.

On a week day mid afternoon the beach is deserted and the Gulf of Mexico belongs to you. Originally Posted by shooter1a
South Padre is beautiful but Galveston and Crystal Beach are less busy depending on if you want a less populated beach or not. I usually wander to Jamaica Beach for a quiet and clean beach experience ♡ enjoy!
those beaches don't have sand, so there won't be any sediment. The color of the water has absolutely nothing to do with its cleanliness. again, texas waters are sandy Due to rivers throwing sediment and very shallow continental shelf, they are not unclean. Originally Posted by francoisuno
Your right, and those tar balls coming to the shores must be from the oil wells further inland.
All I know is I will not dive into those waters or fish from them so close to shore at some areas.

Sorry, didn’t mean to be such a Red Herring.

In all seriousness, if I could jump into a time machine, I would love to travel back to the late 1800’s and visit Galveston Bay when it was a bustling harbor. That must have been a sight to see.
Thanks for the tip about Jamaica Beach Cleo! I just looked up some photos and I love how the clouds hang low in the sky.

I'm plotting on a return to Texas next month and I certainly hope to get some beach time in.