Cool places youve been: no restrictions: Hints for travel and places to go when you get there

PJ, didn't you read RK's post how everything is better in Texas? Originally Posted by discreetgent
Yeah it is!

And getting better all the time.
1st of all, I had a nose job last week (function, not form), so I have entirely too much time on my hands. I apologize in advance for my increased participation lately....

I'm going to Africa next month -Botswana for safari, a helicopter ride over Victoria Falls and Capetown SA for wine country. Exploring several wineries in Stellenbosch. One day in sun city for gambling. Any must see or do's while on the continent? Anything to avoid or make sure we take?

Unfortunately we can't go to the Seychelles - probably my only chance to go there, but there is so much else to do, its still going to be an amazing experience.

Next up is Alaska in August - going to Gustavas for a 2nd time. The fishing is amazing there and you don't have to boat out hours to get to it. Its isolated, but amazing. If anyone is interested in knowing more about it, feel free to PM.

Then going to visit my daughter for 3 weeks in the fall. She is going to school in Nice France for a semester. I'll be in Paris alone for a week and then exploring the rest of France for 2. Going to take a cooking class in Paris. Want to stay in boutique hotels in unexpected areas while in Paris - any suggestions? Originally Posted by Sydneyb

Hi Sydneyb
Travel is probably my second favorite activity, and I love giving hints and ideas on it when I can.
Although it was 2001/2002 when I was last in this part of Africa I believe most of what I post will still be relevant.
Cape Town has been described by some as the most beautiful city in the world. Although I think that is somewhat of an over statement it is nevertheless a beautiful spot. It is a much larger city than most realize with around 3 ½ million residents.
Try and take the cable car to the top of Table Mountain. You will get some fabulous views. Here is a link.
http://www.tablemountain.net/

Also do your best to get to the Cape of Good Hope which is only about 30 miles away from Cape Town. The scenery there is beautiful.
Although it is not actually a game reserve you are likely to see quite a bit of wildlife there.
The Chacma Baboons are the mammal most intimately associated with the Cape of Good Hope. Baboons inside the Cape of Good Hope section of the park are a major tourist attraction. They have lived on the Cape Peninsula for approximately one million years and continue to this day. They are really a trip to watch. Some other animals you are likely to see are Antelope, Wild Ostriches, Zebra, plus much more. Possibly even Tortoises.
I also visited the wine country while there. South African wine is quite good,
Because the dollar was very strong against the Rand while I was there you could buy good wine for around a dollar per bottle.
If you get the chance a visit to Zulu Land is very interesting. You will find much More on that below.
The helicopter ride over Victoria Falls is a once in the lifetime experience. I know you will enjoy that. They gave us a video tape of our trip doing that. A walk along the edge of the falls is also a real treat.
You did not mention if you are doing that from Zimbabwe or not. If so be somewhat cautions with your money. Credit and debit cards are almost useless there.
Zimbabwe has become a cash society. The U.S. dollar, South African rand, and Botswanan pula (near the Botswana border) are the main means of cash payment for all goods and services. Traveler’s checks are generally not accepted.
Malaria is also prevalent throughout Zimbabwe, as well as other places in Southern Africa. The CDC strongly recommends that malaria prophylaxis and preventive measures be taken when traveling in these areas
You will find because of High Crime rates in most major cities in this part of the world (including Cape Town) most will recommend not going out at night from your hotel except in groups. Muggings and such are quite common. I don’t want to scare you it is just important to use good common sense.
You did not mention where you are going in Botswana, but if it is Chobe National Park you will really be in for a treat. It has one of the largest game concentrations in all of Africa.
The park is probably best known for its spectacular elephant population: 50,000 elephants today, it is actually the highest elephant concentration of Africa. Moreover, most of them are probably part of the largest continuous surviving elephant population on Earth. The elephant population seems to have solidly built up since 1990, from a few thousand. They have not been affected by the massive illicit exploitation of the 1970s and 1980s.
Don’t let me mislead you though there is much more there than just elephants. On one boat ride I did there were elephants, hippos, crocodiles in the river with us all at the same time as well as many Zebra and others on the banks. I saw more different species of animals in Chobe that I did in Krueger National Park in South Africa.
Pasted below is my blog from my Myspace page which I posted in May of 2008 with quite a bit of detail here about Zulu land and Shaka, which you may or may not find interesting.
The link below is the place I stayed. During the filming of the TV series Shaka Zulu this was the set for the show. They have turned all the huts into places for tourists to stay. I highly recommend this to you if you have the chance.
http://www.shakaland.com/

This was my blog on Myspace page in May 2008.
May 13, 2008 - Tuesday

SOUTH AFRICA AND THE ZULUS
Current mood: adventurous
Category: Travel and Places
TRAVEL SOUTH AFRICA AND THE ZULUS

Some interesting information on South Africa and the Zulus.
My original tour was planned for Kenya and Tanzania, but because of 9/11 air was not available. The tour company offered South Africa as an optional substitute which I took.
The time of the year was December and January. So it was summer there. The climate of South Africa was very similar to Southern California where I grew up. I found that quite nice. I arrived in Cape Town on Christmas Eve. That was fantastic as well.
This trip also included Zimbabwe and Botswana.
The highlights were the helicopter ride over Victoria Falls and the animals on the plains nearby.
The fantastic game preserves of both South Africa and Botswana were also major highlights.
I have some wonderful pictures of these and once I get them out of storage I will post them.
Several years ago (1986) there was a series on TV called Shaka Zulu
Zululand is now part of South Africa and the set where this series was filmed has been turned into a camp where one can spend the night in a traditional Zulu hut (a very few modern touches added).
This was quite an adventure in itself getting to meet and interact with the Zulu people, and also watch their traditional dances. This was a very large camp and there was much to see and do.
Shaka himself (1787-1828) is a story almost beyond believe. A man of exceptional cruelty, but a great military genius. I am happy I saw the series before visiting Zululand (it is available on video and maybe CD as well), as I recall 6-8 hours in length.
The Zulus are a very proud people and their, as well as all the history of South Africa, is both fascinating and complicated.
What follows is some history of Shaka. Total accuracy is impossible so much is open to interpretation.
Tshaka (Shaka) Zulu was one of the greatest warriors in the world. His battle techniques revolutionized the way wars were fought in Africa. Tshaka (Shaka) introduced new battle techniques and weapons. His army consisted of different regiments or impis. Each regiment consisted of boys of a certain age. Each had its own shield, war cries and uniform. Tshaka devised innovative tactics and weapons to establish nineteenth-century Zulu dominance of Africa and increase his control over a population that began at 1,500 and grew to more than 250,000. Known to friend and foe alike as cruel, bloodthirsty, and deranged, Tshaka (shaka) still managed to develop a military system that reigned supreme for more than fifty years after his death.

Tshaka (also known as Chaka, Shaka Tshaka), was born an unwanted son of a minor chieftain. At the age of six, Shaka and his mother were dismissed from his father's tribe. They left to live under the great King Dingiswayo, who later influenced Shaka's development and way of thinking. Although Shaka was just an ordinary herd boy, his acts of bravery were the type of deeds legends were made of. For example, when he was 13, he attacked and killed a black Mamba snake that had killed a prize bull he was guarding. And, at the age of 19, he killed a leopard by piercing its heart with a spear and crushing its skull with a club. Shaka's illegitimate birth in about 1787 to a Zulu chief, Senzangakhona, and a woman of a lower-class clan (Nandi) led to his harsh treatment as an outcast, perhaps the root of his own future ruthlessness. The name Shaka itself translates as "intestinal parasite," or more simply as "bastard."

After the death of King Dingiswayo in 1818, Shaka became Chief of Chiefs and proved to be one of the greatest yet most misunderstood kings in all of African history. On becoming King Shaka called his capital Bulawayo. Shaka is renowned for his military genius, discipline and attempt to unify the warring tribes of the Zulu Nation. With the force of arms and diplomacy, he unified his people so effectively that he was able to resist the invasion of white people from Europe and maintain peace among Black People in the South part of Africa. Shaka built a Zulu Nation that expanded over a hundred thousand square miles of land and created a military machine capable of inflicting heavy casualties on British troops and cavalrymen armed with rifles, cannons, rockets and other advanced weapons.
Ultimately, Shaka's end came from internal rather than external enemies. Shaka's erratic behavior worsened with the death of his mother in 1827. The often cruel treatment of his own subjects, including execution for "smelling like a witch" and arbitrary mass executions of entire villages, created terror within his civilian subjects. His army also grew unhappy with the constant operations, which ranged farther and farther from home as Shaka sought new tribes and lands to conquer. Shaka's enforcement of chastity in his warriors also lowered their morale.

The training regime was very strict. Shaka tolerated no weakness in his men. He drilled them vigorously, and forced them not to wear sandals. Even though this allowed the men to run faster it meant that they often got thorns stuck in their feet. To toughen their feet Shaka made them run on beds of thorns and any man that cried out in pain was killed.
He never married but had over 1200 concubines. (As a side note I have seen it mentioned that he never fathered any children- that may or may not be accurate). In 1817 Shaka and Dingiswayo decided to move in the Southeast of Africa. Dingiswayo died and the different tribes warred against each other to dominate the Mtetwa Empire. Shaka Zulu won the battles and was king of all the territories in Natal and Southeast Africa in 1820.
The white man arrived in Natal in 1824 and immediately sought out Shaka who held them in high regard - they had treated him medically after an enemy had stabbed him. To show his gratitude he signed over land for next to nothing - the Europeans had tricked him, although he was unaware of it. They helped him conquer other parts of South Africa.
It was during a hunt with the white man that he received a message that Nandi, his mother, was dying. Shaka was demented with grief and ordered a few thousand people executed in memory of his mother. Somehow 7000 people were slaughtered. He furthermore, demanded that his tribe go on a fast to commemorate Nandi and only after three months, when many were near to death, did he lift the fast.
Madness seemed to take hold of Shaka and his impis started to lose ground. On 22 September 1828 Shaka, king of the Zulus was murdered by two half brothers on his father side. The one half brother was Dingaan who immediately claimed kingship.
Shaka the Zulu king had a mystic about him that still lives on today. His brilliant battle tactics were revolutionary for those days and his thirst for revenge frightening. He is one of the most famous South Africans ever to have lived.

By the time of his mother's death, Shaka no longer took the field at the head of his army, further eroding the confidence of his people. On September 23, 1828, Shaka's half brothers Dingane and Mhlangana assassinated him. His killers buried him in an unmarked grave somewhere near today's Natal village of Stanger.
Wow NiceGuy! That was really helpful - some things I was familiar with but many things I hadn't heard - I will definitely visit Cape of Good Hope (I love monkeys!). We have security for the entire trip, which makes me feel safer; probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks again for all the hints - I can wait to go!
Ah, ne vous occupez alors jamais. Pardonnez-moi. Originally Posted by pjorourke

Vous êtes pardonné.
  • MrGiz
  • 04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
I've been to six of the seven continents, multiple times each (I am determined to visit Antarctica before I leave)... both for work and for play. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel. I find it interesting to see so little regard for North America, in our answers so far. Not a criticism.... just interesting...

Giz
(I am determined to visit Antarctica before I leave)... both for work and for play.
Giz Originally Posted by MrGiz
Don't see a lot of providers in Antarctica...LOL.
Vous êtes pardonné. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
The lesson here being... oh, never mind.

TTH, I've traveled to many of those hilltop towns in Provence. I still dream of easy afternoons in sunny outdoor cafes, with a glass of champagne, a dish of olives and a bowl of Bouillabaisse. Dining and staying at Moulin de Mougins and visiting with Roger Verge and Daniel Boulud as they stroll around and speak with guests. Sleeping on goose down beds with coarse linen sheets and sillk pillow covers, alongside a lovely travel companion. Waking up to open windows and that incomparable Provencal light.

Kind of civilizing for us crude old boys from East Texas, You know, spelling is so important in life.

JD
Provence is nice. But I may want to be a tab bit further inland when I retire. Although the cold winters may pursuade me to get a small place in the South.
I've been to six of the seven continents, multiple times each (I am determined to visit Antarctica before I leave)... both for work and for play. Originally Posted by MrGiz
Don't see a lot of providers in Antarctica...LOL. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Perhaps you won't find any professional providers living there.

But does anyone remember this news story from a couple of years ago?

One way or another, there's some providing going on!
Just a few thoughts on some places you may want to consider, since you will be in Europe. Close enough for you to travel by train, if you are interested. Vienna Austria. A beautiful city with lots of culture, especially if you are a fan of the arts, and classical music. Spend a 1/2 day at Schwoben's Castle (I may have mispelled that). By train, a bit further into the former EastBloc Countries, there are some beautiful sights to see in Hungary, Prague, go as far as the Slovak Republic. As an alternative, make a bike run along the Blue Danube River, and make sure to stop along the way to sip a nice raddler, and listen to the birds chirp on the banks of the river.
I've been to six of the seven continents, multiple times each (I am determined to visit Antarctica before I leave)... both for work and for play. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel. I find it interesting to see so little regard for North America, in our answers so far. Not a criticism.... just interesting...

Giz Originally Posted by MrGiz
Hey Sidney,

I have read this topic several times and have hesitated commenting on it because, well, I'm jealous. Seriously. I'm completely jealous that you're getting to do all of this traveling and I'm having to work to just make sure that my child gets to go to two camps this summer and he has a nice roof over his head and is well fed, etc.

I'm very lucky, by the way, that I'm doing as well as I am and I'm certainly aware of that. Still ...

I know that being jealous of someone's good fortune is a little infantile but there you have it! (At least I don't covet your adventures!)

At any rate, I don't have much to add to all of these wonderful suggestions. Although I've traveled some, I haven't the girth of experiences many have had.

Perhaps some day.

Wistfully and with warmth,
Elisabeth

P.S. Do you think that being just a little envious of the world travel that others have done is normal? I just feel petty about it but it doesn't negate the fact that when I read Giz's (and others) posts that there is that "want" to do the exact same thing.
Sidneyb, would be interested in your Alaska trip to Gustavas...I have recently returned from three weeks in Europe and will be flying to Seattle next week. I am planning to kayak the Inner Passage from Washington to Alaska and back. I made the first trip last year only one way, this trip I plan a round trip event. It is so quiet, just the sound of the blade in the water, the crisp air, just magnificent, would love to spend some time in Gustavas....
I have been fortunate to get to travel a lot for work.... Here is a quick rundown of my favs and want to's:

Fav’s
1. Munich- I have been to 20 or so countries and Munich is my favorite city- by far. I really don’t know exactly what it is about it. The German efficiency, the historical value, 10 Steins at Oktoberfest, the draft horses, the AMAZING countryside, The English Garden, or a combo of all the above. A tour of some sort is a must- We went and saw a castle in the country side- Stunning. We were trying to get down to the Austrian border to see the Eagles Nest but didn’t make it. Next time…. We also did a guided/private tour of the city for all of you history buffs out there- awesome.
2. Prague- If you love architecture/cheap beer/sexy European Women then Prague is a must do. I would say that it is very “touristy” but I still found it quite enjoyable.
3. Bali- Epic, must do, must do, must do- Bring your golf clubs….. Loads & loads of resorts to choose from. We stayed on Jumbaran (sp?) Bay and had a an absolute blast. Actually going back for a week very soon.
4. Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia- I unfortunately have only spent time in the metropolitan area- However it is a very nice city, very affordable, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Excellent night life, shopping, restaurants, etc. My SO got outside of town and did some tours/sight seeing and loved it. With that said Malaysia has MUCH more to offer than just KL and I fully intend to explore it as much as possible.
5. Mexico- Old Faithful- I love it…. Cabo, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Border towns (before the drug wars)….. Love the bird hunting, fishing, food, senoritas, culture, the diving, all of it….
6. Alaska- Spent some time in SE Alaska Salmon fishing & waterfowl hunting a few years back and had an absolute blast- Top of my list!
7. Singapore- Great place… Not cheap, but very cool…You will be hard pressed to find a cleaner city. There is good food, shopping all over. I must say, I got the same sense of “artificial” that I get when in Dubai. Chijmes is a very cool place full of restaurants/bars (Old Nunnery converted)… The Zoo is 2nd to none if that is your thing, Mortons cost me $450 SGD for 2 people, The Riverwalk @ Clarke Quay is very cool…..

Over Rated:
1. Dubai- Extremely artificial feeling…. Very expensive… Been multiple times, just wasn’t all that impressed. However I can recommend hotels/resorts if you are planning on going.
2. London- hmmm wont state why I really dislike it…. I did enjoy the historical aspect of it and just seeing it, but don’t have any desire to ever return.
3. Moscow- Unbelievably expensive, extremely crowded, and cold crap weather…. Wont be going back there.

To Do
1. South American Wing Shooting
2. Canadian Wing Shooting
3. South Africa- Golf, Wine, Safari (photo)- Not into Big Game anymore….
4. Maldives
5. Hong Kong
6. Vietnam
7. Japan
Over Rated:
1. Dubai- Extremely artificial feeling…. Very expensive… Been multiple times, just wasn’t all that impressed. Originally Posted by Aceswild
Agreed.

Imagine Las Vegas with a repressive sexual and political atmosphere; no gambling; dull, scarce and way over-priced bars; very hot and (in some seasons) deadly humid weather; but some nice mosques and a lot of very fancy/expensive cars on the road.

-Ww
Over Rated:
3. Moscow- Unbelievably expensive, extremely crowded, and cold crap weather…. Wont be going back there.

To Do
7. Japan Originally Posted by Aceswild
I think Hitler and Napoleon would agree re Moscow.

Anyone who wants to make a serious attempt to "see the world" really shouldn't miss Japan, especially Tokyo. You might love it to the point of addiction and it might make your skin crawl, both common reactions, but most experienced travelers consider it unique in many complex and subtle ways. It is BY FAR my favorite place in the world (of which I have seen around 50 countries, 6 continents plus a bunch of islands) and definitely has the most extensive and elaborated commercial sex scene on the planet (much of which is very hard for foreigners to access though, especially for those who speak no Japanese). I could go on at great length, and have done so elsewhere (shut-up, PJ), on why it should be on any ambitious traveler's must-do list, but for the moment let me just promise that it should be.

I head back there in a couple of weeks.

-Ww