Up yours USMC!

• WTF
  • 09-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Please Please Please one of you Reagan worshippers come to his Defense!

I dare ya...I in fact double dare ya!

Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
I'm sure you were equally outraged by this:
Obama's Military Salute With Coffee Is OK, Just Like Bush's Dog ...
I don't know. The street shoes on the furniture is downright scandalous!

Career sailor here. I think I know something about this. We were always told to return a salute even when the first salute was inappropriate.
You were told wrong. Look it up.
The protocol (as established by Ronald Reagan) is to salute the marine guard when they render honors.
The protocol was not in Reagan's power to establish.

. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Eisenhower never saluted because he was smart enough to know right from wrong. I assume Reagan did because he was used to playing a pretend soldier and was in the habit of it. All these years of the POTUS not saluting and Reagan decides to change the protocol. Maybe the Left should complain about Reagan for disrespecting the Military. I guess they could have said the salute has "gone to the dogs" when Bush did it.

There is a reason you only hear about petty stuff like this on the fringe conservative sites. because the normal Reps have better things to do.
Obama's Military Salute With Coffee Is OK, Just Like Bush's Dog ... Originally Posted by drluv1
Good article
You were told wrong. Look it up. Originally Posted by slingblade
You're the one who needs to look it up; it's called "military courtesy" for a reason.

Obama's Military Salute With Coffee Is OK, Just Like Bush's Dog ... Originally Posted by drluv1
Below is an exerpt from the guidelines of saluting someone.

"Salutes are not required when

Saluting is obviously inappropriate. In these cases, only greetings are exchanged. (Example: A person carrying articles with both hands, or being otherwise so occupied as to make saluting impracticable, is not required to salute a senior person or return the salute to a subordinate.)

Originally Posted by slingblade
Perhaps drluv1 might explain how he imagines that the exception of "having both hands encumbered" applies to Odumbo with a coffee cup, or maybe drluv1 needs glasses????
Eisenhower never saluted because he was smart enough to know right from wrong. I assume Reagan did because he was used to playing a pretend soldier and was in the habit of it. All these years of the POTUS not saluting and Reagan decides to change the protocol. Maybe the Left should complain about Reagan for disrespecting the Military. I guess they could have said the salute has "gone to the dogs" when Bush did it.

There is a reason you only hear about petty stuff like this on the fringe conservative sites. because the normal Reps have better things to do. Originally Posted by slingblade

I guess you don't know what protocol means. George Washington set a lot of protocol when he was president. He did it and the next guy did it and the next and so on. That is how protocol is established. Not because someone wrote it down but that works too. Reagan established the salute, just like someone in the past established the little flag pin. Obama can either go with it or not use it. It is confusing, and show some problems with the indecisive person, who can't make up their mind and continues to do both. We know this about Barry.

I give you an example from Hollywood and another black man; Will Smith. In the final scene of Independence Day he was smoking his victory cigar with his right hand when the president walked up to him. For a brief moment his hand started to come up to salute when he realized about the cigar. He quickly removed it and properly saluted. This is important to me that someone wrote the scene that way and that Smith had that little hesitation before he realized about the cigar. Shows a kind of integrity to the character and respect for the real marines who might be watching.

How many military people found themselves coming to attention when called upon to do so or when a senior officer enters the room AFTER you left the service. It becomes part of your DNA which is something that sling won't understand.
As for Bush (whom you can never find anything that he did right), he did not have to salute with the dog in both of his hands. He gave it a good try but he should have let it go that time. The press was always waiting to find something that made him look bad. Was he wrong? Probably under those circumstances but he did it as right as he could considering. Barry's salute was thoughtless and rude because he could have easily have done it correctly.
You're the one who needs to look it up: it's called "military courtesy" for a reason.

Perhaps drluv1 might explain how he imagines that the exception of "having both hands encumbered" applies to Odumbo with a coffee cup, or maybe drluv1 needs glasses???? Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Courtesy is what Obama gave the Soldiers. Courtesy is what Bush gave the Soldiers. Nonsense is what this whole salute BS gives us.

Military Courtesy, can you honestly say that you have shown Military Courtesy to anyone? I know I have not seen it from you. I have spoken with respect to you but have gotten something quite different in return. How about you give us an example of it from now on.
As for Bush (whom you can never find anything that he did right), he did not have to salute with the dog in both of his hands. He gave it a good try but he should have let it go that time. The press was always waiting to find something that made him look bad. Was he wrong? Probably under those circumstances but he did it as right as he could considering. Barry's salute was thoughtless and rude because he could have easily have done it correctly. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
You have no idea what Obama was thinking when he saluted back. As for Bush most of the stuff people including myself bring up is the hypocrisy shown by Reps that thinks its fine when your guy does it and then want to flip out when its a Dem.
What if Obama wants to change a "protocol" ? Does he have the right to do it? What if he thinks you should salute no matter what? Would that be okay?
So now you bring up the flag pin. I thought it was a disgrace that he did not wear one at first . Now its okay? Just another example of the double standard on your part.
This is not news. It may have been a mistake, but who cares? I do not support the President, but he is CIC. If he wants to salute with a coffee cup in his hand, he can. No big deal. I personally prefer the President to not salute. Symbolically, it blurs the idea of civilian control of the military. I didn't like it when Reagan did it, and don't like it when his successors do it. But it's not a big deal.
. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy

Yup!
You're the one who needs to look it up; it's called "military courtesy" for a reason.

Perhaps drluv1 might explain how he imagines that the exception of "having both hands encumbered" applies to Odumbo with a coffee cup, or maybe drluv1 needs glasses???? Originally Posted by I B Hankering
LOL Bush made a doggone good salute...
Courtesy is what Obama gave the Soldiers. Courtesy is what Bush gave the Soldiers. Nonsense is what this whole salute BS gives us.

Military Courtesy, can you honestly say that you have shown Military Courtesy to anyone? I know I have not seen it from you. I have spoken with respect to you but have gotten something quite different in return. How about you give us an example of it from now on.
Originally Posted by slingblade
A slacker's half-ass attempt at a salute is all Odumbo gave those Marines, slingblade. That's not "military courtesy", slingblade. And exactly how do you find ...

You're the one who needs to look it up: it's called "military courtesy" for a reason.
... discourteous, slingblade? After all, "look it up" was originally your injunction, slingblade.

BTW, slingblade, you couldn't even begin to guess how many times I made ready to salute by correctly, and with fore thought, shifting carried items from the right hand to the left hand. Exactly how many times did you stop and exit your vehicle in order to salute the flag at the end of a duty day, slingblade?

Legendary Marine Corp general Lieutenant General Lewis B."Chesty" Puller insisted upon good equipment and discipline. Once he came upon a second lieutenant who had ordered an enlisted man to salute him 100 times for missing a salute.

Chesty told the Lieutenant: "You were absolutely correct in making him salute you 100 times Lieutenant, but you know that an officer must return every salute he receives. Now return them all."

The Art of Command: Military Leadership from George Washington to Colin Powell
  • WTF
  • 09-25-2014, 02:01 PM
What....

Watch wtf you ask for peanut brain...

His growing success also won him a series of deferments from military service (at the request of Warner Brothers) once the United States entered World War II, and then—after he was called up and commissioned an officer in the cavalry—an assignment with an army film unit. He spent the war in California making army training movies at a military base in Los Angeles, with time off to make feature films at Warner Brothers (among them the successful 1943 tribute to the military, This Is the Army ).Much of the time, he lived at home with his family. Despite his later claims to the contrary, he never left the country and never saw combat. But he cooperated with studio public relations efforts to portray him as a soldier, who, like other soldiers, left his family to go "off to war." Feature stories described Wyman bravely carrying on, raising the children and maintaining the household while her man was away. Newsreels and magazine photos depicted Reagan "coming home" for leaves and visits. Reagan later sometimes seemed actually to have believed the ruse. Even decades later, he liked to talk about "coming back from the war," like other veterans, eager to take up family life again (a life that in his case had hardly been interrupted).

Read more: http://www.presidentprofiles.com/Ken...#ixzz3EKkY9Z7N Originally Posted by WTF