Texas Republican Platform 2010

Hell freezing over...RK got me to smile approvingly. Originally Posted by Sa_artman
Even a blind hog...right, Artman?
It’s because The Great State of Texas is the second most populated state in the United States. By default, we are going to have the some of the highest states good and bad. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
He did say "per capita", hon. Theoretically, size doesn't matter. But we all know that is hogwash.

If you're gonna see a rainbow...you've got to stand a little rain.
  • WTF
  • 07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
. But when some have nothing intelligent to offer it is eaiser to just throw lables around. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Don't go talking about Ranchhand like that!

You're right on track with your last two posts, PJ. Word! Originally Posted by John Bull

DAMN! How many times have I asked ya'll not to encourage him!

If you're gonna see a rainbow...you've got to stand a little rain. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz75aG4_pvA&feature=re lated
It’s because The Great State of Texas is the second most populated state in the United States. By default, we are going to have the some of the highest states good and bad. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
So that's why the SAT scores suck!! I always wondered.
Well, you did add it...so I questioned it. I'm not sure why that is outside the bounds of reason?

Actually it is a population increase estimate...so it is net. I'm sure there are more moving both directions. Now that you have that "context"...are you more enlightened?

Originally Posted by Rudyard K
You threw a number out there...so I questioned it I'm not sure why that is outside the bounds of reason?

btw, if that is net that is a huge number of people....

A comprehensive immigration plan has to have three pieces

1. Control of borders
2. A guest worker program (i.e., come work in season, make some money, go home)
3. A resolution of the illegals that are here and have been for a while.

You can't do any of the three without doing the other 2. A guest worker program will take the pressure off the border control -- there would be a safer/easier way to work here. Any kind of amnesty would open a floodgate of people trying to get in under the wire. Control of borders can't be done without dealing with the economics.

Sadly, different constituencies want different elements and not the others so this is going to be a political football for a while. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Agree. I think most people can get together on 1&2....

3 is where we have a problem

You're right on track with your last two posts, PJ. Word! Originally Posted by John Bull
JB, the full service moderator....he even cheerleads from time to time....
  • oden
  • 07-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I heard on the radio that 24% of illegals are Asian that arrive by way of a valid visa and then just stay UTR. If this is true, it is a problem but at least there is some documentation and, one would hope, at least a cursory background check.
So that's why the SAT scores suck!! I always wondered. Originally Posted by TexTushHog

At least I did not contribute to the poor SAT scores. My last SAT was over thirty years ago.
I heard on the radio that 24% of illegals are Asian that arrive by way of a valid visa and then just stay UTR. If this is true, it is a problem but at least there is some documentation and, one would hope, at least a cursory background check. Originally Posted by oden
Some of the teabaggers and right wingers here are going to wonder how we got Asian Mexicans.
Houston, Dallas, Austin & San Antonio registered the nation's strongest employment gains during the past five years, according to figures released Wednesday morning by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Houston came in No. 1, with 129,800 private-sector jobs created between June 2005 and June 2010. Dallas came in second, gaining 71,300 private-sector jobs. Austin ranked third, with 56,100 new private-sector jobs; San Antonio ranked No. 4, with a gain of 32,600 private-sector jobs.

Los Angeles posted the nation's sharpest decline since 2005, losing 376,400 private-sector positions. Other big drops were reported in Detroit (down 328,800 in five years), Chicago (down 253,000) and Miami-Fort Lauderdale (down 165,800).

Eighty-four major markets suffered declines in private-sector employment during the half-decade; only 16 finished on the upside.

The news was a bit better overall for the short term, with 24 markets enjoying increases between June 2009 and June 2010. Houston, however, did not fare well over the last year, ranking 95th out of 100 markets with a disappointing loss of 31,300 jobs. By June 2010, Houston had 2,148,700 private sector jobs compared to 2 million in 2005 and 2.18 million in 2009.

Austin had the biggest one-year gain, up 8,400 private-sector jobs. Dallas ranked third, with 4,800 private-sector jobs created between June 2009 and June 2010.

Chicago had the biggest one-year drop, down 83,400 jobs.

And also…

Texas is the nation's No. 1 state for business, according to business news cable network CNBC-TV.
CNBC scored each state in the United States using publicly available data to determine the rankings. States received points based on 10 broad categories including: cost of doing business, workforce, economy, education, quality of life, technology and innovation, transportation, cost of living, business friendliness, and access to capital.

"This designation reinforces the fact that the Lone Star State is the best state in the nation to live, work and raise a family thanks to our low taxes, reasonable and predictable regulations and skilled workforce," said Gov. Rick Perry. "These policies have helped keep our economy comparatively strong through the national economic downturn, and will continue to make us globally competitive in the future."

Texas received the highest average score against 40 measures of competitiveness, including technology, cost of living, economy, education, transportation, infrastructure and innovation, among other measures. Texas took the No. 2 spot last year after Virginia.

The top 10 states for business this year, according to CNBC:
      • Texas
      • Virginia
      • Colorado
      • North Carolina
      • Massachusetts
      • Iowa
      • South Dakota
      • Minnesota
      • Utah
      • Georgia
Apartment occupancies in the DFW area have been strengthening nicely over the last few months. That's certainly not happening in most of the country.

RK, that may be another indicator that we are -- somehow -- overcoming our ignorance!
Apartment occupancies in the DFW area have been strengthening nicely over the last few months. Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
Well shoot, that means less incentive deals for the newcomers.
Well shoot, that means less incentive deals for the newcomers. Originally Posted by Ansley
Perhaps you're not pitching to correct incentive.
What I want is the Texas Republicans to show me one of these Judeo Christians.

So do they have first communion on the same day as their bar mitzvah and have matzo for the wafer?

Most importantly, do they get both Saturday AND Sunday off?
What I want is the Texas Republicans to show me one of these Judeo Christians. Originally Posted by Laurentius
Uhhh, much like New Hampshirens...we don't really care what you want.