Bin Laden Dead???!!!???

by the way, is it OK to hope all 72 of those virgins have genital warts?
Good Lord...

I have read over some of the postings and I wonder-

Can't we be united on THIS ONE THING? WHY does it have to de-volve into "Liberals" this and "Conservatives" that? I can only speak for myself on this, but on September 11, 2001, I didn't give two SHITS about our American political ideology! I just remember feeling like I had been kicked in the gut, wondering how many THOUSANDS of people died in New York and Washington, as well as flight 93. All I know is whoever did this hated US as Americans, and it's a safe bet that Al-Qaeda didn't try to sort out the victims by their voting record!

You don't like George Bush? Fine. Don't like Barack Obama? More power to ya. Just ask yourself which is more important right now- being a Conservative, a Liberal, or an American...? Originally Posted by yeesh

Yes sir! VERY well said! I for one am glad that Osama has been taken out. Whether it happened when Bush was in power or Obama makes no difference. For the last roughly 24 hours, I haven't seen left or right, I've just seen US. The people. A country. Our country. As one. Celebrating a long coming victory. I am very proud to be an American.

EBR
All I can say is: AFT!
All I can say is: AFT! Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
+1
The head cockroach is dead!!! Now the lesser cockroaches will try to get to the top.
I feel that to much attention is being paid to the cockroach. I commend the U.S. Forces involved. But lets not jeopardize their tactics by putting them on the front page!!
I'm glad he's dead, but there's a nagging thought in my head...

How is this not an assassination? I understand killing combatants, and that it would have been near impossible to find this terrorist in a field of combat with the tactics he uses.. Again, I'm glad he's dead, but is it only assassination if the target is head of state or the kill done by a sniper? Could he have been captured and brought to justice? This isn't partisan, both presidents gave the same dead or alive order, and this isn't to take away from the soldiers who carried out the mission. However, we banned assassinations for a reason...and I understand that "War on Terror" effectively made him an enemy combatant, but let's be frank. This wasn't a killing in the heat of battle, this was a surgical operation targeted specifically against one individual.

I celebrate OBL's death, but I mourn the loss of freedom and ethical standards this terrorist has caused in this country.

Same here, the thousands of victims and extended families who have had to suffer, the SOB needed to go under any circumstances.

Could he have been captured and brought to justice?

I agree, the details are still coming in but he was first asked to surrender and didn't as it was reported. It was also reported that he may have been reaching for a gun. I wonder too why they couldn't have shot him in the foot, the hand, even blown his kneecap off and brought him back for trial. Better off dead IMHO. A trial in NYC or even the Hague would have been major security issues, risky, a fight over his ' constitutional rights' in this country or whether it should be a civilian or military tribunal would have divided this country. With these animals we fight in the middle east, death is the only justice they know, we have to ' speak their language'; dumped at sea means no public spot for a reverse ' Ground Zero'; where animals could go and mourn his death. But I do think you raise an excellent point, why was he not taken alive and than determined what to do. Good question.

However, we banned assassinations for a reason

Another good question but I think the current rules in place were there as most attacks on our homeland or our interests are state sponsored. In this case, the only options of dealing with groups like the PLO, Hamas, Hezbollah, Al Queda ( all the zookeepers) is off with their heads, no questions asked. They don't know any other way, nor should they be able to hide under any laws. This was an 'invasion' on Pakistan's land but let's face it, they are not to be trusted, they hate us, we give them billions and they harbor ( anyone who thinks Pakistan didn't know is lying to themselves) terrorists, not only a terrorist, but Terrorist #1 Originally Posted by Rand Al'Thor

So we probably did go against our own foreign policy rules but sometimes there is no other option...

All the issues you raise will certainly be brought up in hearings in the months to come.

Now I want to see the pictures !!!
Personally I hope the SOB is not dead and they whisked him off to some cave for a bit of enhanced interrogation. Let that fucking coward feel some extreme pain for a while before he becomes fish food.
Personally I hope the SOB is not dead and they whisked him off to some cave for a bit of enhanced interrogation. Let that fucking coward feel some extreme pain for a while before he becomes fish food. Originally Posted by Budman
+1
Can't have it both ways. Maybe its time to move on.
  • Vyt
  • 05-04-2011, 09:11 AM

How is this not an assassination? Originally Posted by Rand Al'Thor
Precedent: Operation Vengeance

The laws against the assassination of foreign leaders do not apply in this case, either because Bin Laden is a leader who declared war on the US, or because Bin Laden is a criminal leader of a terrorist conspiracy. In either event he does not deserve due process. He did deserve a double tap and one was duly delivered, albeit a decade too late.

I feel a bit strongly about this as I was in DC on 9/11 and had to talk down someone who was in the Pentagon parking lot and saw the plane go in.
Can't have it both ways. Maybe its time to move on. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider

Why is it time to move on?

How is this not an assassination? I understand killing combatants, and that it would have been near impossible to find this terrorist in a field of combat with the tactics he uses.. Again, I'm glad he's dead, but is it only assassination if the target is head of state or the kill done by a sniper? Could he have been captured and brought to justice? This isn't partisan, both presidents gave the same dead or alive order, and this isn't to take away from the soldiers who carried out the mission. However, we banned assassinations for a reason...and I understand that "War on Terror" effectively made him an enemy combatant, but let's be frank. This wasn't a killing in the heat of battle, this was a surgical operation targeted specifically against one individual.

I celebrate OBL's death, but I mourn the loss of freedom and ethical standards this terrorist has caused in this country. Originally Posted by Rand Al'Thor

Rand all good questions. I spoke with a good friend of mine who is currently a Navy Seal and I basically asked the same question. He said that more than likely they had the directive that if they felt in anyway threatened to shoot to kill. I basically assumed that meant a direct order just to waste OBL which in my mind was the correct thing to do. I can assure you that if they had captured him alive and brought him to trial that we would see a three ring circus like we have never seen before. Good riddance is all that I have to say but I am sure that the Seal team as well as a bunch of others will come under close scrutiny by some human rights tribunal.
Lots of politics, in the back rooms of Washington and the letters from Presidents to Presidents, we will never know what was said by "conservaive" and "liberals". However, Bin Labin is one dead MF. In 2012 Obama will and can take credit because it was on his watch. Leaders get 3 to 6 monts to blame the the past leader, booty goes to the victor.

1. UBL is fish food
2. OBL gets the brass ring
3. Gaddafi watch your ass
4. Who's next ???
5. Republican challengers, step it up, times a wasting !!

Obama, kicking ass and taking names.
All the talk of extended "interrogation" makes us sound as barbaric as those we revile. How many times you want to kill him? Have at it. I'm glad we got him. Glad he's dead. Do THEY still hate America? Do you still hate THEM?

Living in the past won't make it go away not will it bring back the people bin Laden killed.

All this bully pulpit is doing is giving us all the opportunity to show how much hatred we have. We wanted him dead. He's dead. Frankly, I'm ready to move on to Gaddafi (or however they're spelling his name this week.)