Has Anyone Here Changed Their Views Or Opinions

• Tiny
  • 03-07-2019, 11:33 AM
On occasion, people on each side of any issue we talk about have pretty decent arguments.

However, I don't believe anyone has actually ever been convinced to change their opinion on any issue.

Does anyone believe they have changed their position on an issue?

Why? What was it? And how were you won over? Originally Posted by grean
The problem on this board is that most of us don't get into details, we're just trying to score points. Once in a while somebody posts a link to an article that's insightful, but how many of us are going to take the time to read something that's contrary to our core beliefs. However, like Mystic, my views on some issues have probably softened a bit from being here.

There were a couple of posters on internationalsexguide who were the left's equivalent of LustyLad. One of them could eat my lunch, although I'd never admit it there. Anyway, one thing they made me realize is that you're stupid if you think you can take something like GDP growth, and then think you have something meaningful when you see a correlation with some other largely unrelated single variable, for example whether the president is a Democrat or a Republican. Also that there is more inequality in the USA than I thought and some things need to be done about that, although I still think their way of fixing the problem, by making the higher earners poorer, is a stupid, self defeating solution.

They "won me over", if you can call it that, with statistics and reason.
The problem on this board is that most of us don't get into details, we're just trying to score points. Once in a while somebody posts a link to an article that's insightful, but how many of us are going to take the time to read something that's contrary to our core beliefs. However, like Mystic, my views on some issues have probably softened a bit from being here.

There were a couple of posters on internationalsexguide who were the left's equivalent of LustyLad. One of them could eat my lunch, although I'd never admit it there. Anyway, one thing they made me realize is that you're stupid if you think you can take something like GDP growth, and then think you have something meaningful when you see a correlation with some other largely unrelated single variable, for example whether the president is a Democrat or a Republican. Also that there is more inequality in the USA than I thought and some things need to be done about that, although I still think their way of fixing the problem, by making the higher earners poorer, is a stupid, self defeating solution.

They "won me over", if you can call it that, with statistics and reason. Originally Posted by Tiny

You never had a closed mind then, or you would not have been won over.