NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

We'd certainly rather have Bottles, but he will be the first QB taken off the board, question is, do we want him (bortles) over Clowney with the first pick? I think the answer is no as of right now, but that could change. If it doesn't, the Italian might be the best option that is available in the second round.

But like we saw last year with Geno, either Bridgewater or JFF might fall really late in the draft, if that happens, we would for sure take them if they are there. Originally Posted by TheDon
I told you before Clowney has bone spurs and will not contribute much until he has his foot fixed .
Khalil Mack fits RAC's defensive 3-4 defense also Khalil Mack has none of the issues Clowney has and Clowney does not fit RAC's 3-4 defense he is a defensive end and in the 3-4 defense it uses two defensive tackles and a nose guard and no Clowney cannot play linebacker .
They are taking a $10.5 million cap hit for the trade they just made with Dopey.
Originally Posted by Satin
Wrong !!!!! The Raiders took the cap hit they took over his contract .
The Texans now have some more room under their salary cap .
  • Satin
  • 03-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Uh no you're wrong...do some research. The Texans are hit with this for 2014 which is called "dead money" it's his base salary guarantee. They saved some money but still hit with that $10.5 million.

Shoo fly....
Roster bonuses Schaub earned last season are added to his $10 million base. That makes his base $10.93 million. That’s wiped off the Texans’ books. Added is the last two years of his amortized signing bonus $3.5 million in 2015 and $3.5 million in 2016.
John McClain is saying that the signing of Fitz is proof that the Texans will take a QB first. Honestly I think it is the opposite. I think they will take Clowney first and Sammy G second. McClain has been laughably bad in picking draft picks so let's see how this one goes.
There is ZERO chance Texans are taking Mack with the first pick, just like JFF, he is not going to be deemed as "#1 overall pick" materiel. I watched the Bulls last year, the guy does nothing exceptional to warrant being the first pick. Unless you went to UOB, I don't see why you would think he would be coming here. Did I also mention how terrible the MAC was last year?

McClain is a joke, wrong about 75% of the shit he says. Funny and cool dude though.
There is ZERO chance Texans are taking Mack with the first pick, just like JFF, he is not going to be deemed as "#1 overall pick" materiel. I watched the Bulls last year, the guy does nothing exceptional to warrant being the first pick. Unless you went to UOB, I don't see why you would think he would be coming here. Did I also mention how terrible the MAC was last year?

McClain is a joke, wrong about 75% of the shit he says. Funny and cool dude though. Originally Posted by TheDon
So much for your expertise, Mack is rated highest Linebacker in the draft .
DeMacus Ware ( Troy ) came out of same division as Mack
So much for your expertise, Mack is rated highest Linebacker in the draft .
DeMacus Ware ( Troy ) came out of same division as Mack Originally Posted by carkido45
Highest rated? According to who? Blaine Gabbert was considered the highest rated QB a few years ago, that didn't work out so well.

Ware was drafted almost 10 years ago, I didn't follow MAC football back then, but I did this year, every team was garbage, including NIU and UAB, almost every team in that conference got crushed during bowl season.

If we're not taking Clowney, we're taking Bortles (or trading down), taking Mack is not going to be an option with the first pick.
Trading down will not happen
Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater
Are not franchise players at least not now .
Clowney can be if he gets his foot cleaned out of the heel spurs .He won't last through mini camp and two a days training camp plus 4 pre-season games and 16 game regular season ,that's a lot of stress on a foot he started having problems with in his third game last year right about the time his sack total went nil he only had one sack rest of the year after that .AWESOME !!!!
Clowney had to be helped off the field ...here's a pic of the trainers working on that right foot last year .
Did he tear an ACL in that pic? If not, I think he's good to go.... You are literately the only person I've seen that continually brings this up.
BOB said in an interview that they will be taking a QB in this draft, of course, he didn't say when.
Bone spurs could definitely be an issue.
To say Clowney can't play OLB in 3-4 I don't think is accurate. He just hasn't played that style up to this point. He's been a 4-3 defensive end and was dominate at that position. He's already got a good bull rush, uses his hands well and can run guys down from behind. He's not a one trick pony. I have no reason to believe that he couldn't cover the occasional back or tight end from a 3-4 olb position. He just hasn't done it to this point but he has the quickness and agility. He's played anywhere from 250# to 275#. He would have to be accounted for on every play.
Lawrence Taylor was a defensive lineman before he switched to OLB in college.
If it wasn't for the bone spurs thing I would be starting to lean that way myself and take Garrapolo or Mettenberg in the second round. They've both got some up side but if they don't pan out next year's draft has way better QB's and you don't have nearly as much invested.
He also said there was no difference between the top 10 QBs which to me means first pick in second round