NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

What does NE know? Why have JFF visit when you have the 29th pick of the draft? Are they willing to trade all the way up to #1? That's the only way they could be assured of getting JFF. Perhaps they are looking to trade up to top ten and think JFF might still be there and want to know something about him in case he happened to be there. Either way they would be looking to trade up.

Is it possible that BOB has asked Belichick to interview him for a second opinion. From what I've heard players are not allowed to work out at the NFL facilities so these visits are not workouts but more like interviews. Originally Posted by boardman
Belichek prolly thinks one of these guys is going to drop. It's happened regularly. Marino, Rodgers, Mallet, Geno Smith. He's not trading up, at least not the top ten. Cost is too high. If they drop close, or to 29 he may see some value. He still needs a stud reciever or LB more than a backup QB. Maybe Mallet is on the block. Wouldn't suprise me he trades him to BOB.
Belichek prolly thinks one of these guys is going to drop. It's happened regularly. Marino, Rodgers, Mallet, Geno Smith. He's not trading up, at least not the top ten. Cost is too high. If they drop close, or to 29 he may see some value. He still needs a stud reciever or LB more than a backup QB. Maybe Mallet is on the block. Wouldn't suprise me he trades him to BOB. Originally Posted by bambino
I see your point but once every ten years doesn't make it regularly.
Maybe we can trade the #1 pick for Brady
Maybe we can trade the #1 pick for Brady Originally Posted by boardman
Or Brady & Belichick.
I see your point but once every ten years doesn't make it regularly.
Maybe we can trade the #1 pick for Brady Originally Posted by boardman
Geno Smith was projected as the top QB and a first round pick, so was Mallet, it happens more often than every 10 years. This years QB class has lots of question marks and other positions that grade out higher. It's very possible one of these guys will drop.
The fact that the Texans are "trying hard" to trade the first pick and finding no takers within reason is a pretty good sign of just how hard it is to trade the #1 when there is no clear cut #1. Everyone on various web pages is screaming "trade down" but as shown, it is just not that easy and one reason it has not been done for over 10 years. IMHO trading down to 9th would be a huge mistake.

That being said the only move that makes sense is to take Clowney #1 and then a QB with #2. Now if one of the top three drop you might see the Texans trade up to grab one but there is also speculation that Texans are looking at Tom Savage of Pittsburgh with #2 pick. Big kid with really strong arm.
The fact that the Texans are "trying hard" to trade the first pick and finding no takers within reason is a pretty good sign of just how hard it is to trade the #1 when there is no clear cut #1. Everyone on various web pages is screaming "trade down" but as shown, it is just not that easy and one reason it has not been done for over 10 years. IMHO trading down to 9th would be a huge mistake.

That being said the only move that makes sense is to take Clowney #1 and then a QB with #2. Now if one of the top three drop you might see the Texans trade up to grab one but there is also speculation that Texans are looking at Tom Savage of Pittsburgh with #2 pick. Big kid with really strong arm. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Savage started for Rutgers as a freshman, he was touted as a pro prospect then. He bounced sound some and ended up at Pitt. He's a sleeper. I wouldn't mind if the Steelers grabbed him.Landry Jones sucks.
Yes, Landry Jones sucks ass...I never understood that pick
I am still on the trade down and pick up extra picks bandwagon. I do not pay much attention to other teams not willing to make a trade a full month before the draft. I believe there is still plenty of time for various trade scenarios to develop. Even if it does not, we are in an enviable position with the #1 and #33 selections in this years draft. For all practical purposes, even if we stay put, we will get two picks that will probably be in the top 25 on the Texans draft board. They say this is an extraordinary year for talent and hopefully we will come out of this draft with 3-5 very talented football players.

If we do hold on to the #1 pick, I am more in favor of taking the premier pass rusher in the draft (Mack or Clowney) with the first pick and then selecting the top quarterback on the board with our 2nd selection, whenever that might be. I understand there is a fairly good possibility that the Texans will want to use their first pick on a QB and I am also ok with that, as long as they feel that whomever they select is a can't miss prospect. I don't believe we can afford to use our #1 pick on a player, especially a quarterback, who will end up being anything less than an outstanding football player for many years to come.

If they do use the #1 pick on a quarterback, I hope it will be Johnny Football. I believe he has a tremendous amount of potential and MAY (I repeat MAY) one day be an outstanding qb in this league. With that said, I am not yet convinced that he is a can't miss prospect. There is still a possibility that I could change my mind between now and draft day, but at this point in time I am not fully on board the Johnny Football bandwagon. If the Texans are on his bandwagon, it really doesn't matter what I believe. He will then be our QB of the future and I will wish him nothing less than the very best.

That's just the way I roll!
If there was a QB in this year's draft that had Johnny Manziel's athletic ability , Bortles Physical size and strength plus Kenny Bridewater's football IQ then you would have your franchise QB but since there isn't one .
I wouldn't take either of them in the draft with the first pick .
Savage started for Rutgers as a freshman, he was touted as a pro prospect then. He bounced sound some and ended up at Pitt. He's a sleeper. I wouldn't mind if the Steelers grabbed him.Landry Jones sucks. Originally Posted by bambino
The problem I have with Savage is that he is a quitter. When things were not going well he quit and left not one but two programs. Do you want someone who is type A like Johnny or someone like Savage who turned tail and ran the first time everything was not handed to him.
If there was a QB in this year's draft that had Johnny Manziel's athletic ability , Bortles Physical size and strength plus Kenny Bridewater's football IQ then you would have your franchise QB but since there isn't one .
I wouldn't take either of them in the draft with the first pick . Originally Posted by carkido45
FML...I agree with carkido45
Plenty of Skilled pass Rushers in round two and three like .
Marcus Smith 14.5 sacks last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBbKM2LfXw

Trent Murphy 15.0 sacks last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMx35rVhmvk
The problem I have with Savage is that he is a quitter. When things were not going well he quit and left not one but two programs. Do you want someone who is type A like Johnny or someone like Savage who turned tail and ran the first time everything was not handed to him. Originally Posted by BigLouie
I didn't say he was a 1st rounder, but a sleeper. I saw him play at Rutgers and this year at Pitt. He has most of the tools that a pro QB needs. You have a bad habit of labeling people quiters, like Clowney. Mallet left Michigan after RichRod was named coach, same with Savage at Arizona. They don't fit that offense. He made what he says was a "bad decision" to leave Rutgers. He was benched after a couple injuries and he didn't get along with Schiano. He would be a good mid round pick. He's 6'5", 230lbs with a cannon. Could really flourish in the right situation.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...iggest-sleeper
The General's 2nd Mock Draft has now been posted on the Houston Chronicle webpage. In the first mock, he thought the Texans would use the first pick in the draft to take Blake Bortles. In the 2nd Mock he changed it to Johnny Football.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ock-draft-2-0/
The General's 2nd Mock Draft has now been posted on the Houston Chronicle webpage. In the first mock, he thought the Texans would use the first pick in the draft to take Blake Bortles. In the 2nd Mock he changed it to Johnny Football.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ock-draft-2-0/ Originally Posted by bigtex
John McClain is laughably wrong about the draft. If you follow their Tweeter feeds on draft day John is always posting "Missed on that one" while Lance is hitting on all of his.