NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

You might as well hope for the sun to come up in the West. Not going to happen. Trading the #1 has only happened with extremely talented picks in the first spot. Notice the story where Charlie Casserly said that there were NO offers for the #1 the last two times the Texans had the #1. The #1 has not been traded for over 10 years and that involved two very talented players. There are none in this situation. It's a dead story. Originally Posted by BigLouie
How do you know this? Are you prepared to hold a gun to your head if it happens? Clowney has been described as a once in a generation talent. There are QB starved franchises that may crave JFF. The Texans have been coy about what they're going to do. A trade could happen while the Texans are on the clock. Stranger things happened.
Ok give me at least one example where the #1 pick was traded and none of the players were regarded as premium players.
Ok give me at least one example where the #1 pick was traded and none of the players were regarded as premium players. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Ah Louie, of course "premium" players would have to be involved. Who knows what teams regard what players as premium. It seems that one team, the Texans, have said they would be interested in trading the pick. Therefore, one part of the equation is present. 2 players, Clowney and JFF, are considered to have premium playmaking abilities. So, it's not out of the question that a team may feel compelled to trade with the Texans to get that player. The Texans, to their credit, have not ruled out any of the top players. So you see Louie, it's plausible that a trade COULD happen. To say unequivocally it WONT happen is not based in fact. I can't break it down any simpler than that.
I'm still holding out hope for a trade down situation.
The last time the #1 was traded for less than ultra premium players was 1983 when the Bengals had 2 #1 picks due to a trade with Tampa the year before. The traded the #1 overall and kept their own. So don't get your hopes up
The last time the #1 was traded for less than ultra premium players was 1983 when the Bengals had 2 #1 picks due to a trade with Tampa the year before. The traded the #1 overall and kept their own. So don't get your hopes up Originally Posted by BigLouie
WTF is an ultra premium player? Does a human that's 6'6", 270lbs, runs a 4.5 forty qualify?
The last time the #1 was traded for less than ultra premium players was 1983 when the Bengals had 2 #1 picks due to a trade with Tampa the year before. The traded the #1 overall and kept their own. So don't get your hopes up Originally Posted by BigLouie
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder or in this case each teams Director of Player Personnel. What appears to be a "Ultra Premium Player" to one team might be a Super Dud to another. As far as I know there is no specific set of "Ultra Premium Player" standards used by all 32 teams.

Please provide a link that specifically fits the description of what you describe a "Ultra Premium Player!"
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder or in this case each teams Director of Player Personnel. What appears to be a "Ultra Premium Player" to one team might be a Super Dud to another. As far as I know there is no specific set of "Ultra Premium Player" standards used by all 32 teams.

Please provide a link that specifically fits the description of what you describe a "Ultra Premium Player!" Originally Posted by bigtex
Louie is using the octane rating system. Regular would be Arian Foster, Premium would be Andre Johnson and Ultra Premium would be JJ Watt. That's the only thing I could think of.
Louie is using the octane rating system. Regular would be Arian Foster, Premium would be Andre Johnson and Ultra Premium would be JJ Watt. That's the only thing I could think of. Originally Posted by bambino
Nope, JJ Watt did not meet the basic criteria to be considered an Ultra Premium Player the year he was drafted by the Texans. He was just a common ol' everyday #11 pick. It is my understanding that Ultra Premium Players are the players that every NFL franchise is willing to give up the farm for in order to trade up to the #1 pick. In order to qualify, it has to be every NFL franchise, not just a few. That certainly wasn't the case with JJ.

Unless of course, the team with the #1 pick was willing to trade down and give up their #1 & #2 in order to take JJ at #11. I suppose then JJ would have been considered an Ultra Premium Player whose transmission is stuck in reverse.

Were you able to follow the bouncing ball? I hope so because I sure as hell wasn't!

Damn, this Ultra Premium Player BS is giving me a friggin' headache!

Beam me up, Scottie!
Only player that's ultra premium is andre Johnson period he can play with any QB they got lucky with j j watt
Michael Vick, Eli Manning, John Elway were all #1s that involved a trade. Premium players all. You have to go back 30 years to find a #1 pick traded that did not involve a premium player. Right now talk of a trade out is totally dead in the media.
Right now talk of a trade out is totally dead in the media. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Okay, now I get it! It's the media that makes the trades, not the teams. All of this time, I thought it was the teams who made the trades, not the media.

In light of the fact that it is the media making the trades, I will change my previous statements to the following:

I am still holding out hope that the media will trade down with the #1 pick and get additional draft choices.
Michael Vick, Eli Manning, John Elway were all #1s that involved a trade. Premium players all. You have to go back 30 years to find a #1 pick traded that did not involve a premium player. Right now talk of a trade out is totally dead in the media. Originally Posted by BigLouie
I would say Elway was the only "Ultra" premium player. 94 octane rating
In simple terms I hope you both can understand. There is not enough value in the #1 pick to make up for the lost value in a very deep draft. NO team is going to give up a #2 round pick in this draft to move up because there will be so much talent available. There is no player like John Elway who could win you a Super Bowl by himself. Yet in this years draft there will be a lot of talent in the second and third rounds and no one is going to miss out on it for one player even if it is Clowney
In simple terms I hope you both can understand. There is not enough value in the #1 pick to make up for the lost value in a very deep draft. NO team is going to give up a #2 round pick in this draft to move up because there will be so much talent available. There is no player like John Elway who could win you a Super Bowl by himself. Yet in this years draft there will be a lot of talent in the second and third rounds and no one is going to miss out on it for one player even if it is Clowney Originally Posted by BigLouie
Well Louie, are you willing to put a gun to your head if it happens? I'll keep my finger on the trigger.