NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

I bet they get Teddy since no JFF!!
It looks like we are going to have to wait until tomorrow to find out who the Texans will take.

Bridgewater to the Vikings!

Assuming we are going with a QB, we will have a choice of Carr, Savage, Mettenberger, Garappolo, or AJ (in no particular order.)

The highest QB left on the board is Derek Carr! Deja vu????? Originally Posted by bigtex

Oh no.. This draft keeps getting better and better....Can't wait till tomorrow!!
Fuck it now. I say go with somebody who can fucking cover in the secondary. CB or Safety. Speed kills. Or an OL guy for right Tackle.
  • Satin
  • 05-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Well damn, no Teddy now. I think there is no WAY we draft Carr for obvious reasons. I've always liked McCarron and still don't understand why he doesn't get any hype.

In other words, we're fucked...

Alexis, can you come console me?
I think there is no WAY we draft Carr for obvious reasons. I've always liked McCarron and still don't understand why he doesn't get any hype. Originally Posted by Satin
I understand where you are coming from on Carr but I am not as certain as you that the Texans won't take him. I think they will probably take the highest rated QB on their board, without any consideration to family ties. Truth be known, Carr is probably one of, if not the highest rated player at any position, left on the board.

I would think that the Texans were hopeful another team would take Carr. In any event, they now have a very difficult decision to make. One other possibility, this might be the impetus for the Texans to start calling around about QB availability. They have already had discussions with the Pats about Ryan Mallett and I am not too excited about that either. Given a choice, I would probably rather have Carr.

Stay tuned, it is probably going to be a long 19-20 hours for the Texans.

Here is a story from the Chronicle webpage:

Texans general manager Rick Smith made a rapid-fire visit to the Reliant Stadium press box Thursday night to brag on the newest Texan, South Carolina’s acclaimed Jadeveon Clowney, but Smith excused himself after taking only a handful of questions, explaining, “We’ve still got a lot of work to do.”

Indeed he does. The Texans must still take the right quarterback with the opening pick in the second round. They’re back on the clock as we speak.

And the leader in the clubhouse with the first round finished is, yep, Derek Carr. He’s the consensus highest-rated QB left on the board.

“It’s hard to find a weakness,” former Giants quarterback Phil Simms said of David Carr’s kid brother. “You know what the weakness is? The last name. Because his brother didn’t succeed . . . it’s unfair. The guy has size. He can make all the throws. And the guy can run. What’s not to like?”

Rich Gannon, another former NFL quarterback, calls Carr “the best pure passer” in the draft and suggests he’s a different kind of player than the Texans’ first-ever draft choice was. “He’s got size and arm strength, and toughness.”

But the fact that his sibling failed miserably in Houston makes things infinitely more complicated for the Texans.

Having landed the consensus best prospect in this draft class and a once-in-a-generation-sized talent at defensive end made Smith “obviously very excited to have Clowney locked up,” but he’s hungry for more. Coming off a disastrous 2-14 season, which “won” Smith the right to pick first overall, the GM knows it’s going to take more than a single defensive end, however limitless the young man’s potential may be, to get the Texans turned back in the right direction.

Smith didn’t hang around long enough to address reports that the Texans are close to trading for the little-used Patriots backup quarterback Ryan Mallett – four passes attempted with one completion and one interception in three clipboard-toting seasons in Tom Brady’s shadow – nor did Smith have time to speculate on which rookie option he favored.

But apparently the Texans didn’t think enough of Bridgewater to trade up into the tail end of the first round as the Vikings did, never mind that the Louisville Cardinal was judged by many to be the best QB prospect of them all before he had a poor pro day. Does that mean they’ve made their peace with the Carr brand? Could Smith still be considering LSU’s Zach Mettenberger, whom they seemed to pay special attention to during the long pre-draft vetting process this spring despite his ACL surgery? How about Alabama’s A. J. McCarron, the consummate proven winner in the bunch?

Pittsburgh’s Tom Savage is there for the taking, too, as is Eastern Illinois’ Jimmy Garoppolo, to whom they paid a visit.

Might they even wait until the third round for their quarterback of the future and ferret out desperately needed help for the offensive line first?

“We have a bunch of picks and a bunch of opportunities moving forward,” Smith said.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...bna#23209101=0
Well damn, no Teddy now. I think there is no WAY we draft Carr for obvious reasons. I've always liked McCarron and still don't understand why he doesn't get any hype.

In other words, we're fucked...

Alexis, can you come console me? Originally Posted by Satin

Awe. Poor thing. Been a tough first round draft for you. Shit, me too. And I'm not a Texans fan first either. So, waiting for tomorrow and seeing what happens in round 2 and 3.
After tomorrow, I'll console you lots. It's going to be a tough day tomorrow also....
Just got in from work....two questions (1) AM I the only one who thought it odd that JFF went so late? (2) WHO will start for Houston under Center this year?

ps: DED, your ability to extract trivial but interesting facts is really amazing - pointing out a few pages back that JFF, Quinn and Weeden, all were the 22nd picks and all play QB for the Browns (or hope to)!
You don't know dick about dick. Bortles will be a winner. Originally Posted by bambino
Totally in agreement!!
  • TheDr
  • 05-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Solid pick for the Texans IMHO. JFF is a Suggs hit from missing half the year. I personally hope he survives the year though 'cause he's exciting as hell. Not sure Houston was the right spot for him.

Hope my Niners get USC WR Lee in rd 2. Just sayin...
Being a raven fan I think Johnny manziel will get his ass broke in half if he try that shit he did in college he better play smart in the afc north
You don't know dick about dick. Bortles will be a winner. Originally Posted by bambino
Even his college coach said he needed a lot of work and would not be able to start right away. Every scouting report on him says the same thing.
Totally in agreement!! Originally Posted by Solemate62
Go read what his college coach said about Bortles and what all the scouting reports said about him. Total project that would not be able to start right away.
So which QB do they take? They said they would take one but he will sit for a year.
As for Jacksonville what happens if they sit him for year, they are terrible again and they are in the running for a better QB next year. Not a good situation.

As for the Texans I would not be surprised if they that the NT from ND with the first pick of the second round and wait until the 3rd to get either Jimmy G or Savage.
Another carr on the way grab your nuts an pray it doesn't happen