Why Texans are freezing their asses off

And I am not surprised by how misinformed you always prove to be, .... Originally Posted by Little Monster
Ignorant people use that introduction frequently ..... and most frequently when they can hide behind an imaginary handle. You've confirmed that characteristic.
  • WTF
  • 02-19-2021, 07:25 AM
Ignorant people use that introduction frequently ..... and most frequently when they can hide behind an imaginary handle. You've confirmed that characteristic. Originally Posted by LexusLover
The handle you hide behind is not imaginary?

• WTF
  • 02-19-2021, 07:27 AM
lustylad you are picking and choosing your facts.

You post a bunch of facts and then try and illogically apply a narrative. You are just as guilty as the other side.

Tiny and myself had already broken down the problem. The gas generation plants were not properly winterized.

Wind is a great source to use when available but those wind turbines need to be winterized just like they do in Norway.

Again....the problem was Texas was not prepared for a freeze of this length.

Also there were parts of Texas that actually were. Why you might/should ask? Because these regions were not part of the independent Texas grid but were plugged in to other regional grids that diverted electricity to say a Lubbock.

Your style has always been to throw out a bunch of irrelevant facts and then ridicule others less knowledgeable about said facts...as wrong. You try to win a battle and you care nothing about winng the more important war. Much like you threw a bunch of GDP numbers and hawk Trump as some economic guru....when in fact his bottom numbers line numbers were no better than Obama's last 3 years vs Trumps first three.

So gtfoh with thos numbers you and the WSJ are distorting.

Perry was the one that pushed wind power in Texas...not AOC.

There is nothing wrong with winf, gas and nuclear and coal if you know their strengths and weaknesses and plan accordingly.

What hopefully will happen is a honest discussion in what happened and plan accordingly moving forward.

Hopefully people like you will be excluded from the conversation.
  • oeb11
  • 02-19-2021, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Monster
And I am not surprised by how misinformed you always prove to be, ....

Ignorant people use that introduction frequently ..... and most frequently when they can hide behind an imaginary handle. You've confirmed that characteristic.

Comment -Regarding LM and his/her/ posts - the elitist, know-it-all better than anyone, arrogant, supercilious and insulting manner of communication - is :

Typical of DPST led minions.
  • WTF
  • 02-19-2021, 07:34 AM
I suppose one should recognize a flaw in the "planning" stage of the decision making: "global warming"!

If one actually believes that the Earth will continue to get "warmer" FOREVER, then "winterizing" anything is "wasteful" and "unnecessary"!

! Originally Posted by LexusLover
If you understood GW , you'd know that it predicts more extreme weather on all spectrums. Therefore winterizing would and should be a priority in both their belief and those that do not believe in GW.

You are making no sense. I do admire people like you at times. Oblivious to the nonsense they spout yet still confident in their spicket.
If you understood GW , you'd know that it predicts more extreme weather on all spectrums.
Originally Posted by WTF
Exactly! The GW prediction is colder weather in the winter and warmer weather in the summer. You have to remember that LL used to say that Obamacare "wasn't real health insurance".
  • WTF
  • 02-19-2021, 08:02 AM
Exactly! The GW prediction is colder weather in the winter and warmer weather in the summer. You have to remember that LL used to say that Obamacare "wasn't real health insurance". Originally Posted by adav8s28
Poor guy probably just got out of assisted living lockdown.

His go to tactic is to attribute something you didn't not say , to you and then proceeds to lie about that lie.

It is the reason so many of my right wing friends on here love Trump...he does the exact same thing.

• Tiny
  • 02-19-2021, 08:40 AM
Sorry but you are still wrong sir. Between 80 and 90 percent of Texas power is from gas, coal, nuclear.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tex...wer-storm/amp/

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/02/16/b...alds-citibank/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...mp/ncna1258185

Bottom line is Texaswas ilprepared due to lack of leadership. Other places that are used to this type of weather do a much better job weathering their infrastructure.

Funny how when things go wrong the right just points fingers and almost never come up with solutions of their own. Nope they just take trips to Cancun and be the hypocrites that they are.

As far as comparing Austin to Lubbock goes, that is comparing Apples to oranges. What is Lubbocks population compared to Austin's. Dallas is a conservative area and guess what, they are in the same boat as Austin if not worse.

As long as I have literature backing what I say I will continue to repeat the facts over and over again. If you wanna continue to parrot the made up lies that you believe then that is your ignorance. Originally Posted by Little Monster
Little Monster, You probably missed my Post #22, https://eccie.net/showpost.php?p=106...2&postcount=22

The media is throwing out a lot of inaccurate and misleading info, and the 62% figure I quoted falls into that category.

What I did was go back to ERCOT tables showing power generation by source in 2020. You can download the Excel table here,

http://www.ercot.com/content/wcm/lis...yFuel2020.xlsx

From that table, you can calculate that in 2020, 22.9% of the power generated during 2020 by the ERCOT system was from wind, and 25.3% was from renewables.

You can also calculate wind as a % of the total for January, February, and December, 2020, and those figures are 25.8%, 25.8%, and 27.8% respectively. In other words, normally wind during winter is a high % of the mix, higher than what the press is saying in one of the articles you linked to.

Btw, Before long, ERCOT will publish an Excel table showing the same info for February, 2021, and that will help unravel what happened further.

I specifically did not blame renewables for the problem we're having. I said wind and solar are price competitive, but don't work when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining, and you have to have sufficient capacity from non-intermittent sources to make up for that.

In your first post in this thread, you appeared to be blaming the crisis we're having on NOT ENOUGH renewable energy. That's not correct. Texas is close to the top of the charts. You can download BP's statistical review of world energy here,

https://www.bp.com/en/global/corpora...ld-energy.html

Take a look on page 61 and you'll see electricity generation by fuel for various countries. The USA generates 10.1% from renewables. Europe generates 18.6%. Germany, Spain and the United Kingdom are tops in the world, with 32%, 25%, and 31% of electricity from renewables. From the ERCOT table, that I linked to above, Texas is 25%. We're one of the world leaders in use of renewables, and most of that is from wind.
  • oeb11
  • 02-19-2021, 08:44 AM
Tiny - thank you, Good Sir!!
  • Tiny
  • 02-19-2021, 08:51 AM
I found today's WSJ editorial illuminating. I was surprised to read that wind turbines were supplying 42% of your electric needs just prior to the storm hitting Texas. I believe that was a weekly (7-day) average, not a single day level.

The editorial contains two very informative graphs that do not copy and paste, so if you subscribe to the WSJ then click on the link below to view them.

Hope you guys have plenty of blankets!

Texas Spins Into the Wind

An electricity grid that relies on renewables also needs nuclear or coal power.

By The Editorial Board
Updated Feb. 17, 2021 9:39 pm ET Originally Posted by lustylad
Interesting, thanks for the link. As mentioned in a post earlier in this thread, on Monday I happened to be driving from Abilene to Lubbock, which is the area of Texas where most of the windmills are. And most of the windmills weren't turning. The wind wasn't blowing. Probably some weren't operating because of the cold weather. What this highlights, like the WSJ editorial, when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining, you need something you can rely on.
  • Tiny
  • 02-19-2021, 08:56 AM
And I am not surprised by how misinformed you always prove to be, and the dumb shit you believe. 10% is nowhere near 42% smart one. These Texas conservatives pride themselves on being a "gas state" as they put it. And we are witnessing just how well that works out Originally Posted by Little Monster
lustylad you are picking and choosing your facts. Originally Posted by WTF
Gentlemen, You're being far too harsh on LustyLad. All he did was provide an informative WSJ article, that highlights what I think we all believe: we need to have reliable energy in very cold weather. And wind energy is an intermittent source. You can't rely on it all the time, so you have to have a backup.
  • WTF
  • 02-19-2021, 05:26 PM
Gentlemen, You're being far too harsh on LustyLad. All he did was provide an informative WSJ article, that highlights what I think we all believe: we need to have reliable energy in very cold weather. And wind energy is an intermittent source. You can't rely on it all the time, so you have to have a backup. Originally Posted by Tiny
Nobody has said we do not need a "reliable" source.

A couple of things....

How reliable are the reliable if they are not winterized?

How come Norway has reliable wind turbines? They winterize.

Lustylad and the WSJ were trying to distort the fact that we need all sources to keep costs down. I'm a proponent of nuclear. They were shucking for the oil and gas industry.

Hell I'm for all sources.

I'm not for lustylad or the WSJ distorting the facts.

So if by being hard on lustylad, you mean I'm pointing out his distortions, guilty as charged!

A couple of things....

How reliable are the reliable if they are not winterized?

How come Norway has reliable wind turbines? They winterize.
Originally Posted by WTF
Good point. The turbines don't break down in Iowa because of cold weather, they are winterized.

This problem similar to the Hurricane Katrina problem. They built the new levies strong enough for a level "3" hurricane. Murphy's law take a hold and boom you get level "5" hurricane and 10,000 citizens have to live in the Superdome for a week.
Little Monster, You probably missed my Post #22, https://eccie.net/showpost.php?p=106...2&postcount=22

The media is throwing out a lot of inaccurate and misleading info, and the 62% figure I quoted falls into that category.

What I did was go back to ERCOT tables showing power generation by source in 2020. You can download the Excel table here,

http://www.ercot.com/content/wcm/lis...yFuel2020.xlsx

From that table, you can calculate that in 2020, 22.9% of the power generated during 2020 by the ERCOT system was from wind, and 25.3% was from renewables.

You can also calculate wind as a % of the total for January, February, and December, 2020, and those figures are 25.8%, 25.8%, and 27.8% respectively. In other words, normally wind during winter is a high % of the mix, higher than what the press is saying in one of the articles you linked to.

Btw, Before long, ERCOT will publish an Excel table showing the same info for February, 2021, and that will help unravel what happened further.

I specifically did not blame renewables for the problem we're having. I said wind and solar are price competitive, but don't work when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining, and you have to have sufficient capacity from non-intermittent sources to make up for that.

In your first post in this thread, you appeared to be blaming the crisis we're having on NOT ENOUGH renewable energy. That's not correct. Texas is close to the top of the charts. You can download BP's statistical review of world energy here,

https://www.bp.com/en/global/corpora...ld-energy.html

Take a look on page 61 and you'll see electricity generation by fuel for various countries. The USA generates 10.1% from renewables. Europe generates 18.6%. Germany, Spain and the United Kingdom are tops in the world, with 32%, 25%, and 31% of electricity from renewables. From the ERCOT table, that I linked to above, Texas is 25%. We're one of the world leaders in use of renewables, and most of that is from wind. Originally Posted by Tiny
Last night a TX politician said TX generated really 14% of its power from from wind and solar. A few minutes later they had another TX politician who said on its BEST day TX generated 12% of its power from wind and solar. That was only one day and that day was in the summer.

Several years ago I read that certain electric sellers claimed their power was "green" only because they bought carbon offsets. Correct, they were "dirty" producers but because they paid off the right interest group their powers was declared clean.
  • Tiny
  • 02-19-2021, 07:15 PM
Last night a TX politician said TX generated really 14% of its power from from wind and solar. A few minutes later they had another TX politician who said on its BEST day TX generated 12% of its power from wind and solar. That was only one day and that day was in the summer.

Several years ago I read that certain electric sellers claimed their power was "green" only because they bought carbon offsets. Correct, they were "dirty" producers but because they paid off the right interest group their powers was declared clean. Originally Posted by gnadfly
Yeah, they're full of shit. You might be able to get to those numbers if you're talking about energy instead of electric power. Add in the gasoline and diesel, the oil and gas to make petrochemicals, coke to make cement, etc., maybe you get there.

Another thing, the numbers I quoted are from ERCOT. There are some places like the Panhandle that aren't in the ERCOT system. I don't think that would make a huge difference. ERCOT accounts for most of the power generated in Texas, and people and businesses off their grid would be using a mixture of fossil fuels and renewables too.