Abortion - Can we come to a bipartisan consensus?

... I have never heard a woman say she got an abortion because she was not emotionally ready. I think there is something very sad about this.

... Originally Posted by lovingcamela
Sure you did. Not trying to be disrespectful, but it was "womanspeak" so you might not have recognized it. "The jerk left me." There are other lies women tell themselves.
You can go to the CDC website and dig around for statistics. Having an abortion when one already has children would fall under a financial issue such as there is no time or money to care for another child whether single or married.
Sure you did. Not trying to be disrespectful, but it was "womanspeak" so you might not have recognized it. "The jerk left me." There are other lies women tell themselves. Originally Posted by gnadfly
I am not convinced. My argument stands. If the 'jerk' leaves a woman or partner did not want to participate in the pregnancy and the child's life she is left with supporting the child's life on her own hence it becomes financial, perhaps fueled by emotions, but in the end she makes the decision because she cannot do it alone because she does not have the financial resources.
So no woman has ever walked into an abortion center saying "I'm not having this bastards baby" or "I'm not ready to have this baby?" I think you are overcompartmentalizing the "woman's emotional readiness."
So no woman has ever walked into an abortion center saying "I'm not having this bastards baby" or "I'm not ready to have this baby?" I think you are overcompartmentalizing the "woman's emotional readiness." Originally Posted by gnadfly

That's precisely what ABC reported "Mary" said in the article cited @ #42 above -- 2x's. And she had a steady boyfriend! Meanwhile, fifteen-time Vilar was married!
I can see what you are saying. First, I was speaking of my own personal experience with women not every woman's story. Second, the topic of thread is to find a compromise between the left and the right, a general consensus so we can stop having this conversation over and over and over again. I offered my insight on a woman's financial situation because I truly believe it is a problem and effects a women's ultimate choice.

As to your comments... 'I'm not ready'. That infers a woman that is very young. "I'm not having this bastard's baby" infers an abusive relationship. I would argue for better sex education and accessible birth control. Not only accessible, but better and continued research on male birth control.
The movie UnPlanned was about a real woman. She had two abortions one after she had married the father. One was surgical and the other was the morning after pill. Her viewpoint changed when she witnessed an unborn baby fighting to stay alive during an ultrasound abortion. Her new position hardened when her supervisor at PP made it clear that abortion was a very lucrative enterprise for PP.
I can see what you are saying. First, I was speaking of my own personal experience with women not every woman's story. Second, the topic of thread is to find a compromise between the left and the right, a general consensus so we can stop having this conversation over and over and over again. I offered my insight on a woman's financial situation because I truly believe it is a problem and effects a women's ultimate choice.

As to your comments... 'I'm not ready'. That infers a woman that is very young. "I'm not having this bastard's baby" infers an abusive relationship. I would argue for better sex education and accessible birth control. Not only accessible, but better and continued research on male birth control. Originally Posted by lovingcamela
Ultimately, you can take any statement of "I'm not ready for a child" to mean financial, but I think it does go into the emotional state of the woman(or even couple in many instances).

And of course there are "I'm not ready" coming from the young, but it also comes from women of all ages. The largest majority of abortions comes from women 20-29. And as you said you can dig into all sorts of statistics, but this chart seems to represent several of the articles I've read on it.

But much of the arguments thrown out are indeed the fringe elements.

The majority of abortions(pushing 90%) are during the first trimester(12 weeks essentially), with somewhere in the vicinity of 1% taking place.

As OEB posted earlier regarding viability, this majority of 90% all take place way way before viability is even close to being established.

The hardcore fringes take this 1-10% range and go nuts with it, largely based on partisan political or highly emotional reactions.

As it stands, the existing laws/regulations would seem to be the largely the appropriate compromise with in my opinion possibly, due to medical improvements over the years a reduction to around the 20 week period instead of the more widely old timeframe of 24 weeks.

Tx-dot had previously posted that most European nations were even less than the 24 week period as well.
The embedded chart didn't seem to display correctly, sorry. Here is the data from it for reasons for abortions.

Percentage Reason
<0.5% Victim of rape
3% Fetal health problems
4% Physical health problems
4% Would interfere with education or career
7% Not mature enough to raise a child
8% Don't want to be a single mother
19% Done having children
23% Can't afford a baby
25% Not ready for a child
6% Other
  • grean
  • 05-09-2019, 07:07 AM
The movie UnPlanned was about a real woman. She had two abortions one after she had married the father. One was surgical and the other was the morning after pill. Her viewpoint changed when she witnessed an unborn baby fighting to stay alive during an ultrasound abortion. Her new position hardened when her supervisor at PP made it clear that abortion was a very lucrative enterprise for PP. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
She did not have two abortions if she took the morning after pill. The morning after pill cannot terminate a pregnancy, only prevent one. If the woman is already pregnant, the morning after pill will do nothing.

The morning after pill is not a a medicine abortion.

RU486 is an abortion pill bit is completely different than the morning after pill.
  • grean
  • 05-09-2019, 07:17 AM
The embedded chart didn't seem to display correctly, sorry. Here is the data from it for reasons for abortions.

Percentage Reason
<0.5% Victim of rape
3% Fetal health problems
4% Physical health problems
4% Would interfere with education or career
7% Not mature enough to raise a child
8% Don't want to be a single mother
19% Done having children
23% Can't afford a baby
25% Not ready for a child
6% Other Originally Posted by eccielover
Did your data source give economic demographic information and whether or not the women would had access to heath care during and after the pregnancy?

The maternal mortality rate is insane in the united states.
It's been steadily getting worse since the 80s.
You can go to the CDC website and dig around for statistics. Having an abortion when one already has children would fall under a financial issue such as there is no time or money to care for another child whether single or married. Originally Posted by lovingcamela

Thanks for the suggestion.
After seeing the news today about Georgia and they want to be able to investigate women who have had miscarriages I am so sickened and sad. How utterly cruel. I'm speechless. I"m not talking to you guys anymore either.
Sorry, my cat stepped on my keyboard. I meant to ad I am exhausted talking in circles about this. Signing off
She did not have two abortions if she took the morning after pill. The morning after pill cannot terminate a pregnancy, only prevent one. If the woman is already pregnant, the morning after pill will do nothing.

The morning after pill is not a a medicine abortion.

RU486 is an abortion pill bit is completely different than the morning after pill. Originally Posted by grean
Then they weren't very clear on that but she did terminate a second pregnancy using a drug given to her by PP.