What is your favorite pizza?

ATL, Donotos had a decent presence in Atlanta about 10 years ago, especially in Cobb Co. It was one of my favorites, until they pulled out of the market.

Now in Phoenix my favorite is Rosati's, several franchises of the original Chicago restaurants. Originally Posted by Chica Chaser
That is just before I moved here. Probably one in a long line of failed expansions either because of operational execution, regional tastes not translating well or insufficient ownership commitment (or some combination).

Going back some 15 or so years I remember Donatos was actually bought by McDonalds along with a handful of other fast food brands as part of a growth plan (e.g. the Golden Arches were kind of saturated in the States). If I remember correctly McD's then abandoned that strategy in kind of a back to basics move. DDonatos and the rest probably got caught in the middle of that.
Okay you two (or anyone here in our little demimonde world), come to New Haven and the Pepe's pizza and beer are on me. Once you've had it you'll never want to taste an other pizza. Sort of like the HDH/D&T of pizza. Even Becky's Ed would tilt a Tiara to it.

I'm a thin crust girl, myself, and my favorite (pepperoni, jalapeno and pineapple) can be found at Kenneally's Irish Pub in Houston, Texas. Originally Posted by AidanMacKenna
I'm such a sucker for thin crust pizza. gimme some olive oil, tomato, anchovies, and a bit of cheese...I'm in pizza heaven! Originally Posted by Nina Rae
From a chain, Papa Johns, but I like Dominoes , or Pizza Hut alright. Lots of meat, mushrooms and olives. Almost any pizza I tried on the east coast was better than what's available in Texas. (but there mexican food sucked)
Friends don't let friends go to "chain pizza." I know I am so jaded by Pepe's.
Friends don't let friends go to "chain pizza." I know I am so jaded by Pepe's. Originally Posted by SR Only
Can't do anything else than chain pizza when you travel widely, unless someone wants to edit a comprehensive list of mom&pop or small local pizza shops that are really good. Let me know and I'll put it on my Kindle.
Yes, I know what you mean. I don't even bother with "out of town" pizza. That's when you go with the local cuisine.
Give me Gino's in Chicago--deep dish. Don't much care for New York style. And the absolute worst is "St. Louis style"--Cheez Whiz on a cracker. Originally Posted by Gryphon
I second Gino's East in Chicago. I'm not a big meat eater but Gino's Meaty Legend is to die for. Pepperoni, Italian sausage, Canadian bacon and regular bacon smothered in cheese... yum. Sure, it may cause a heart attack and probably reduce my life span by a few weeks per slice, but so worth it. I might have to plan a jaunt to my old stomping ground for a slice.

And for something completely different - the chocolate pizza from Max Brenner is equally decadent. There is nothing better than a chocolate coma.
When are you going to hit your magic # & head to France

Tell me your law firm hasn't ordered hundreds if not thousands of pizzas over the years as you've plotted to make enough Texan money to move out of the Lone Star State Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Soon, one hopes.

Nope. The go to take out food out here in the country is BBQ and soul food. I'd much rather send out for fried chicken and collard greens that a pizza. No contest.
  • blohk
  • 08-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Stuffed crust
I like Fireside Pies in the Dallas area.

But went to Tarry Lodge in NY last week for the sixth time, they are my favorite anywhere
Ham, Pineapple, and Bacon. Yuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm!!!
Going back some 15 or so years I remember Donatos was actually bought by McDonalds along with a handful of other fast food brands as part of a growth plan (e.g. the Golden Arches were kind of saturated in the States). If I remember correctly McD's then abandoned that strategy in kind of a back to basics move. DDonatos and the rest probably got caught in the middle of that. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
The Grote family bought the company back from Mickey D's and have been on an expansion kick. They're doing it fairly slowly though so as to stem the loss of quality that often comes with to fast expansion thru franchising.
When I go home to Chicago it has to be Giordano's, Stuffed Special (sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, onions)

California Pizza Kitchen - Carne Asada on whole wheat

When I'm in Atlanta I love Mellow Mushroom's Magical Mystery Tour (pesto, mushroom, spinach, feta, jalapenos)

I also found a Chicago pizza chain, Nancy's, in Buckhead and love their pizza. Best deep dish in Atlanta that I've found.
Giordano's stuffed pizza in Chicago.

Haven't had it in ten years, hope it's still good. Originally Posted by jokacz
I’ve had that pizza. My ex-brother-in-law had it frozen and delivered to Telluride one year when we were skiing. It was FABULOUS. The sausage was cut from a huge link and the wheel covered the entire pizza. I almost fainted. Only anchovies could have made it even better.

Wooo, Big Tex……Star Pizza is good too.
Wooo, Big Tex……Star Pizza is good too. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
Is it a date?